Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 06:44   #1

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
OPPORTUNITY: Atlantic Highlands NJ to Annapolis MD SHORT NOTICE

Delivery skipper Dave Skolnick (that would be me) has a short notice delivery of a Freedom 35 from Atlantic Highlands NJ to Annapolis MD. The boat is reported to be in good condition and was moved by owner and friends from Boston MA to NJ before they timed out. The owner had to get back to Boston for graduation from his medical residency program! I'm looking for two crew.

Crew are responsible for getting to and from the boat on their own. Local transportation may be arranged in NJ if incoming crew coordinate trains or flights. Local transportation support in Annapolis can also be arranged to BWI or New Carrolton. All costs on board are covered.

This is a short notice opportunity. I plan to drive up to NJ on Monday 12 June (my birthday by the way) and leave the dock morning or midday Tuesday.

As usual the standard for food is high. I'll do my very best to feed you well! Lots of opportunity to learn on this trip - ocean currents, tidal currents, wind-driven currents, communication with shipping, electronic navigation, piloting, and a whole lot of local knowledge. Write me at dave@auspiciousworks.com. Candidate crew will have phone calls scheduled and there will be a brief conference call before people start traveling. Weather briefs every morning by email before departure and in the salon underway.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:23   #2

Re: OPPORTUNITY: Atlantic Highlands NJ to Annapolis MD SHORT NOTICE

I might be interested. What other crew? Male, female, ages, experience... how old is Kat? In goodckbditiin? I assume you are experienced and healthy?
I crewed once and it was very bad - old boat, steering broke between Bermuda/Newport, VERY inexperienced crew, bad decisions...
StephanieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28   #3

I'm sorry. I can't leave the 12th. Taking mom on vacation. Earliest I could ho would be the end of the week.
Sorry! Ignore my earlier post.
StephanieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieG View Post
I might be interested. What other crew? Male, female, ages, experience... how old is Kat? In goodckbditiin? I assume you are experienced and healthy?
I crewed once and it was very bad - old boat, steering broke between Bermuda/Newport, VERY inexperienced crew, bad decisions...
Hello Stephanie,

Glad you're interested and sorry you can't make it until the end of the week. Weather looks good for a Tuesday departure. We're going.

You do ask good questions so I'm going to answer them.

I send my sailing resume to all candidate crew in advance of a phone call. I'm a 56 year old male, lots of sailing experience, delivering for more than 10 years. Judgment (and thus decisions) is paramount for me. I write for sailing magazines and speak regularly and share with crew.

I have one other crew candidate with good experience who is mid-30s. If all goes well and we speak on the phone today he'll be confirmed.

I can only pass along what the owner reports until I see the boat Monday afternoon. The stories all hang together. I think the boat will prove to be in good shape. I don't leave the dock if there are doubts. Safety first.

I fully understand that women have some concerns about crewing with people they haven't met before. I've had a number of women crew with me, some multiple times. For women crew candidates I can provide introductions to past crew. I run an equal opportunity boat. Everyone is treated the same. No special treatment and no tolerance for untoward behavior. No pink and blue jobs.

As skipper I am your resource. As long as time is not pressing questions are always appropriate. I expect crew to get knowledge and not just experience from sailing with me. Part of my job is to make sure you get value for your time.

On my boat there is a crew briefing every morning (weather, sailing plan, Q&A) and I am always available. The only response you will ever get from me when you wake me up is "I'm coming."

Enjoy your holiday with your Mom.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58   #5

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 27

Hello Dave,

My name is David. I have ASA 103 experience. I have also Forest Gumped my way up the east coast in a motor boat. I currently sail on the sound in an entry level 27'.

I would be interested in the experience, i can get to NJ, if you could grab me at the train.

dsisolano@live.com
Dayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 13:19   #6

The response from CF members has been great. I've filled all the slots on the boat. Thank you all for your interest.

Given that, I'll get a post up in the General forum with a link to my SPOT and updates on the trip.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:09   #7

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 27

Oh, heart break
Dayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis