Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: How reasonable is this venture?
This is crazy. 0 0%
This is awesome! 0 0%
This is crazy awesome! 0 0%
Other (see comments below) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2021, 16:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'
Pacific Rim: Long Term Plans, 2027-2032

Over 20 years ago, a dream began to grow in the imagination of a teenage dishwasher. The dream of sailing the open ocean.

Here we are mid-pandemic, and that dream has become more well defined and the means to achieve it closer every day. I'm going to put it out there if there are any like-minded dreamers who'd like to join.

I live in California, so the ideal journey starts there. But I've realized as I do some window shopping that the start point might very well end up being somewhere else, and that's fine.

The "Points of Interest" rough draft: California > West Central American Coast > Ecuador (Quito) > Galapagos > Option 1 Marquesas, /Option 2 Easter Island, Pitcairn Islands > FrenchPolynesia > Cook Islands > option 1 Samoa/option 2 Tonga > Fiji > Vanuatu > Solomon Islands > Caroline/Mortlock/Makur Islands > Guam > Ogasawara > Japan > Aleutian Island Chain/Alaskan coast > Canadian West Coast > USA West Coast.

The vessel: I'm looking at Seawind (1260 &1370) and Lagoon (38'-45') catamarans. I'm also making a decision whether to buy new and put her in charter for 5 years to decrease the cost, or to buy used outright.

The goal(s): I've got a few people I'd like to see along the way (my family is Guamanian and Japanese), have full dive gear/compressor aboard, and just be open to whatever and whomever the trip reveals. I've already sailed from Thailand to Egypt, and I'm not too interested in an Atlantic crossing, so I prefer this trip to a traditional circumnavigation. I'm quite excited by the various aspects, from the beautiful South Pacific to the more isolated and chilly Alaskan coastline. I love diving, wildlife/nature, cooking, sailing, and am a social person (though I do enjoy my solitude in nature as well).

The crew: The vessels I am looking at have 3-4 cabins with space for 8-10 people. I am hoping to get some takers from my friends and family for various legs and also open to fellow dreamers. I have not really worked out costs, but have thought along the various spectrums from just taking whomever for free/self-provisioning to creating a website and booking certain legs as charter/dive trips. I mean, I haven't even bought the vessel yet, but I thought I would put this out there as some collaboration in terms of planning and execution would be great, as "proper planning prevents piss poor performance" (a little gem from the fellow I sailed the Indian Ocean with, and whom I found on this very forum!)

The skipper: Former firefighter, current medical (working on Registered Nurse license, estimated complete in 2023). I live on my Catalina 270 LE in Santa Barbara. I've sailed the Indian Ocean, Gulf of Aden, and Red Sea, as well as here in the Channel Islands and some inland lake sailing where I started out. I consider myself an amateur sailor. EMT/First Aid/CPR consistently qualified and re-certified regularly, "Rescue Diver" with PADI (which just means level 3, it's not like a Search and Rescue certification). I have spent around 7 years of my life (cumulatively, recreationally) traveling internationally and enjoy it a lot.

Anyway, this post should be up for a few years like the rest, so if this dream coincides with your own, hit me up and let's chat! I've set target dates as 2027-2032, but that's fairly conservative. If some windfall or other happens (c'mon cryptocurrency!), that timeline could move up.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 17:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Pacific Rim: Long Term Plans, 2027-2032

8-10 people for day sialing and occasional overnighting, but certainly not for passage making or long term cruising.

Taking bookings for charter/dive trips makes you a commercial vessel. You will run into all sorts of issues in many countries with survey requirements/permits/licences etc.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 19:22   #3

Re: Pacific Rim: Long Term Plans, 2027-2032

I agree with StuM....You and three to four others is a crew and perfect for setting up watches. If you have 8-10 people on board, you won't have the solitude you say you enjoy. Anyway, good luck with your dream and I hope it comes true and happy sailing.