Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2022, 13:20   #1

Panama to Marquesas

What is the best time of the year and place to find a crew position from Panama to the Marquesas?

My guess would be Shelter Bay Marina by beginning of March but maybe there are better spots or months?

I am 37, I have done one crossing from Martinique to Gibraltar and some sailing in the Caribbean and North Sea.

I made good experiences just going into marinas and looking for boats to join.
jansails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 13:35   #2

Re: Panama to Marquesas

Mid-February to end of March are probably the highest traffic times, with boats looking to arrive in the Marquesas in mid-April to early May.

If I were trying to catch a ride I'd spend some time between Shelter Bay and Portobelo on the Caribbean side and La Playita on the Pacific side (with a few more places sprinkled in once you get in the groove). FWIW we never went to Shelter Bay the last transit we made, nor did any of the boats traveling in our "pod". We all hung out and arranged transit in Portobelo, then moved up the anchorage at the "new" Flats the day before transit. I don't know what percentage of boats opt for that approach, but certainly the anchorage at Portobelo was quite crowded at that time of year.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 13:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
Mid-February to end of March are probably the highest traffic times, with boats looking to arrive in the Marquesas in mid-April to early May.

Thanks HeywoodJ!

How about places on the way to Panama, like Cartagena or ABC islands?

Most boats probably pass these places before going to Panama?
Old 04-11-2022, 17:38   #4

I've never done Columbia, so can't speak to that. I know people stop there, but have no knowledge.

Yes, lots of people do the ABCs. It has been a very long time since I did A or C, so any information I might have would be way out of date. There are more boating facilities there than Bonaire, so could be quite probable.

Our last trip we did stop at Bonaire, and at least 50% of the boats there were Panama bound. Also easy to get to/talk with boats, they're either on the moorings right off the main street and within talking distance of shore, or up at the marina, which is also pretty easy access.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 18:06   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

March/April is peak season for transiting the Canal southbound. Shelter Bay is really the only show in town since Balboa Yacht Club's bar/resturant is no longer in operation (at least it wasnt in April).

Its easier to pick up a line handler position than a full crossing, but cant hurt to try.

There is a bulletin board at Shelter Bay with space for crew postings, but its mostly for line handlers.

Check in with organizations like Panama Posse and ARC. They may have crew postings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansails View Post
What is the best time of the year and place to find a crew position from Panama to the Marquesas?

My guess would be Shelter Bay Marina by beginning of March but maybe there are better spots or months?

I am 37, I have done one crossing from Martinique to Gibraltar and some sailing in the Caribbean and North Sea.

I made good experiences just going into marinas and looking for boats to join.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 18:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansails View Post
Thanks HeywoodJ!

How about places on the way to Panama, like Cartagena or ABC islands?

Most boats probably pass these places before going to Panama?

Thats the usual route for those westbound to Panama (ABC's - Santa Marta - Cartagena). All great stops even if you dont get a ride.

There may be some merit to trying to hitch ride before Panama. I assume there are not many boats who show up in Panama preparing to transit who dont already have their crew lined up.
Old 04-11-2022, 18:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post

If I were trying to catch a ride I'd spend some time between Shelter Bay and Portobelo on the Caribbean side and La Playita on the Pacific side (with a few more places sprinkled in once you get in the groove). FWIW we never went to Shelter Bay the last transit we made, nor did any of the boats traveling in our "pod". We all hung out and arranged transit in Portobelo, then moved up the anchorage at the "new" Flats the day before transit. I don't know what percentage of boats opt for that approach, but certainly the anchorage at Portobelo was quite crowded at that time of year.

While Shelter Bay ("Shelter Pay") is I think still the most common staging point, there do appear to be more boats using the Portobelo option...mostly to avoid the "Pay" part I assume.
Old 04-11-2022, 19:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
While Shelter Bay ("Shelter Pay") is I think still the most common staging point, there do appear to be more boats using the Portobelo option...mostly to avoid the "Pay" part I assume.
This, I based myself in Portobello while getting ready for the canal, it's a nice town and has frequent bus to Colon/Panama city (vs 1 bus per day from Shelter Pay)
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 02:05   #9

Thanks for all the advices.
I will be in Colombia from end of December.
If someone still needs some crew i would be happt to meet in Santa Marta or Cartagena in January. But maybe better to have a video call up front.

Tags
marquesas, Panama