Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2022, 19:25   #1

Post Panama to South America

Greetings,

My name is Martin and I'm looking to crew on a passage from Panama to anywhere in South America. I have worked around sailing boats traditional, modern and alternative in the past 4 years. I offer my expertise in electric and electronic systems on boats as well as a pretty good knowledge and experience in other matters of sailing and boat maintenance/repair.

I have done a few long voyages in the Atlantic, Bay of Biscay, English Channel and North sea as crew and I hold a boat leader's licence of competence from my country, which means I had to pass navigation, rules of the road and few other boat knowledge exams but not practical boat handling in the harbour. I've been told I'm a good helmsman but it's probably due to my stubbornness to take the wheel and work on the deck when seasick. I have an outdated crewbay profile with some glowing references and I can ask the captains I have crewed with for more references as well if needed.

I'm in Panama City today and will probably head to Colon soon to try and meet more people. I am trying to make contacts here and during this time I am offering for free to troubleshoot your electrical/electronical system (I have rewired a few boats to ABYC standards, installed AISes, radars and other gadgets as well as troubleshooted many issues) and I am also carrying with me selma splicing fids if you need any ropes spliced: stranded, braided, braid on braid.
Martin1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 19:58   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama to South America

The typical run from Panama to South America (at least on the Atlantic side) only goes as far as Colombia. All destinations East of there are a very difficult bash to windward.

Not many venture down to South American on the Pacific side either. Most boats on the Pacific side are preparing to cross the Pacific or head North up the coast to Mexico/USA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 20:40   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Planning to head south from Ecuador to Chile in mid March. Currently OK for crew but if things change I'll get in touch.
Cheers,
Frank.
Old 26-12-2022, 04:26   #4

Belizesailor: I expect and am content with only a short sail down to Columbia. I have spoken with a few sailors in Panama City and they have told me the same. I'm also here looking to simply make contacts in this area.

El Pinguino: that might interest me, yes, as my plan is to travel south and end up in Tierra del Fuego. I am most likely going to be going through Ecuador on the way south. Let me know if things change.
Martin1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 11:46   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Bus from Colombia down into Ecuador to Quito and Cuenca would be well worth doing. Over the years I've bused all the way from Ambito, Ec to Punta Arenas. Buses are good and super cheap. Only need to get from Ambito via Quito and Colombia to the Darien Gap to tick off South America. Pretty much the same sailing the west coast - haven't got north of Salinas/La Libertad.

Tags
Panama, South America