Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2023, 09:57   #1

Boat: 1985 catalina 30
please help new sailor/owner

hello i am a very young 50 ur man who needs some help sailing. it was my girl and i living on boat but she, unfortunately, didn’t experience that sailors rush of joy and excitement when those sails pop open in the wind and the engines go silent….. i’m sure y’all know the feeling. anyways i’ll make this shorter as possible….: both parents passed this year and as i have sisters our inheritance was very limited so i sought a plan to house us, in something i would own and also wouldn’t tye me down.
a boat. but as tempting as it was, a sail boat made more sense because of fuel expenses. so, we looked all over for the best sailboat for our needs 6 months later we found her. Thank you again to: W. & H. ((YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE )). couldn’t thank you enough!
But here is the emergency. i have sunk everything into this i’m about to sell my only car for a dingy and fuel because i need to get the boat from muskegon to fla asap. so i am looking for an experienced sailor whom could assist me, so i don’t die or sink my home, to joliet locks.
i will be continuing the river system down to fla, which said help is welcome to remain on board if he or she chooses but the emergency is getting from muskegon to joliet and i believe i can learn so much this way too please contact me asap if this is something you would be interested in. my slip is up october
adam jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 12:49   #2

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Re: please help new sailor/owner

Fwiw you need an experienced hand to sail it to Chicago, after that it looks like all motoring so just a decent hand would do it. Should be pretty easy to find decent sailor in Chicago who wants to go out for a wee cruise. Once you get into the canal river system it'll be less demanding. Btw not having enough for fuel at the beginning of a long cruise is not a good sign. You need to have a certain amount of depth in your pockets to cover unforeseen expenses.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 13:22   #3

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Stupid edit function, just realized that was what your post wanted, a local sailor. Try FB for a local crew hook up, or call Chicago marinas.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 11:37   #4

Boat: Alberg 29

Adam, have you posted details on your boat? What’s her draft? Not sure of current status (depth) of the. Miss etc so you may want to check with the army corp of engineers if you haven’t already.
macmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 16:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam jarrett View Post
hello i am a very young 50 ur man who needs some help sailing. it was my girl and i living on boat but she, unfortunately, didn’t experience that sailors rush of joy and excitement when those sails pop open in the wind and the engines go silent….. i’m sure y’all know the feeling. anyways i’ll make this shorter as possible….: both parents passed this year and as i have sisters our inheritance was very limited so i sought a plan to house us, in something i would own and also wouldn’t tye me down.
a boat. but as tempting as it was, a sail boat made more sense because of fuel expenses. so, we looked all over for the best sailboat for our needs 6 months later we found her. Thank you again to: W. & H. ((YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE )). couldn’t thank you enough!
But here is the emergency. i have sunk everything into this i’m about to sell my only car for a dingy and fuel because i need to get the boat from muskegon to fla asap. so i am looking for an experienced sailor whom could assist me, so i don’t die or sink my home, to joliet locks.
i will be continuing the river system down to fla, which said help is welcome to remain on board if he or she chooses but the emergency is getting from muskegon to joliet and i believe i can learn so much this way too please contact me asap if this is something you would be interested in. my slip is up october
Where are you now and what do you need in assistance?
seafish1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 04:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hello Adam, I am a licensed and insured 200 ton Yachtmaster and may be willing to help get you trained up on this passage.
Coincidentally I’m here in Northern Michigan at the moment!
I’ve sent you a message via this forum but you can reach me here-
540-22-2442
Keith Croghan
Swimmingbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, sail