Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 10:22   #31

Re: Ready now, are you and your boat?

I think the OP did a great job of describing who he is, and what he is looking for in a crew position

My own experience is that I didn’t ask any questions of position, it was all about the the sailing adventure. The result was being trapped on a crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver with a far right individual who couldn’t understand why Canada had gun laws that were not aligned with the USA

I love a good fact based debate, but am also respectful others point of view, especially when those views are anchored in a emotional level not fact based.

I spent much of the voyage deflecting open ended comments designed to convert or engage me is discussing his bias.

In the end it would have been awesome to just enjoy the water and wind , but having to bite one’s tongue half the time is not ideal.

I see nothing wrong with John’s post … but then again I am Canadian

My 2
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 10:25   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You’ve advertised a desire to crew for six years, but only did two one-way passages?
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 11:09   #33

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Try Findacrew.net. Cheap to join and easy to use. I’ve found several crew there.
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 11:22   #34

Sorry John, "no yachts for you". They all belong to Republicans. -just kidding, signed "The Soup Nazi"
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 15:10   #35

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
Actually, he did no such thing.
You are right. I stand corrected. I should have reread the original post.
Old 31-12-2021, 15:37   #36

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
You are right. I stand corrected. I should have reread the original post.
Wishing you and yours all the best in 2022!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 16:24   #37

This thread needs to be closed as it is meeting no intent of the OP and is nauseating…..
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 00:33   #38

Happy new year to all
I don’t get to read all of the forums comments but keep them stocked away to maybe catch up
There is a kind of rare special spirit between us
You know that most of us overlapping in say that some den somewhere we will always just get on and chat about life and laugh and giggle because we share whatever it is and it’s a wonderful pleasure
I wish you all happiness and peace
G
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:33   #39

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ SVTatia, Hey, Mate, do you mean, "Can he bake a cherry pie?" or provide food for a crew of 8?

Please let the OP have his Crew Position ad in peace, and leave off extraneous comment.
That is part of the rules for the Classified forum. Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas, or Awed Solsticial Observation as applies.

Ann
We consider us reminded of the rules.
Awed Solistical Observation? I had to Google that, still had trouble explaining that to my Filipino crew.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:00   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ready now, are you and your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
This thread needs to be closed as it is meeting no intent of the OP and is nauseating…..
Yes it is.. its informing us skippers we would have to tolerate his pontificating and bigotry.. forewarned is forearmed.
He needs to find a boat called Echo..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:43   #41

Boat: Southern 40

Jim and other mods: I voted for 45 in 2020 and I am none of the slurs associated with that action by our Canadian friend. If he prefers a left-wing boat to crew on, he could state that without insulting any of us right-wingers.
I personally would never take on a crew that couldn't dissociate his political views from his sailing preferences.
bobrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 15:57   #42

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
BRAVO JIM!!!!!
And +1 to bravo Jim's wise contribution (again...)!

This is more than a legit request. Cruising for any duration, should be fun for all and in fact, as we all know, people get into a lot of personal matters over hours over weeks of night shifts, day activities, fun and challenges. And finally on that; the OP is the owner and the Captain and he sets the rules appropriately - as long as it's legal and in decent taste.

The OP is very fair in providing a detailed CV and more - serious crew would expect that and he should definitely expect a similar information. I would also add (out of experience...) a full disclosure and request for any medical issues full disclosure, dependency on meds etc. - not only in reference to sea-sickness...

As such, political views, especially and in particular to that last tennant of the WH, not to speak about that tennant's 60 years history and the following 14 months, can tell a lot about how much fun would it be to have that person, as a friend for a long offshore cruise.

We were always lucky to have great friends joining offshore long passages - we'll have great memories forever without any bitter taste! In fact, such friendships adds not only to the positive experience but to safety! - but this might be a really good subject for another thread.
Old 03-01-2022, 17:16   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
It's amazing that we are now at a stage where saying 'I despise racists, xenophobes, misogynists' is somehow controversial and gets people upset.
I don't think it was so much that as the implication that anyone who disagrees with his politics fits into those categories. So we know right up front how he stereotypes people.

We now know the guy wants someone who lives in his ideological bubble.

Not that there is anything wrong with letting us know that he's hung up on that kind of thing. These days a lot of folks are very emotional about their politics, and intolerant of other perspectives, and it's good to know that before setting off on an adventure together.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:48   #44

Boat: Catalina 34

I think it is a good thing to post what you are looking for in crew and in a Captain, when joining a voyage.
I don’t come here to often, because at times the responses from other to questions asked is often Condescending and mean.
Good luck to you in your adventures
Candycliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:18   #45

I don't usually open crew posts but we are considering a passage in that area next year and so was interested in having help. I can appreciate his desire not to get into charged political debates while stuck on a boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. I won't boast one way or another who I voted for, but I'm disappointed that the OP would rule out 74M Americans because of who they voted for. Not every one of those people is a hardliner who would talk your ear off the entire passage, in fact many of us cruisers I like to think are somewhat detached from the political system given our lifestyle.
sailingunity is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat