Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2023, 00:47   #1

Lightbulb Relocating: USA South East & Florida to Dominican Republic

Looking into purchasing a craigslist sailboat ("old" monohull 33 to 36ft but in descent condition, no fixer-upper) in the USA and to sail it to the Dominican Republic and leave it there in Luperon permanently and rent it out via AirBnB

As a straight 45 year old fit and energetic megayacht engineer I have extensive experience as a crew member and holding watches. My sailing experiences are existing but limited.
Holding STCW, MCA License, Cayman Endorsement, ... I can fix any technical issues and have been up the mast, changing light-bulbs in a bosuns-chair on 300ft sailing yachts.
This is not a cruise, I am not a tour-operator that you can rely on, we need to function as a team, and you have to be able to hold a watch and know how to handle lines, sails and whinches.

No generator, NO water-maker (we will be carrying 100 gallons of fresh water) still looking for clean crew that is not brushing their teeth with the tap runing (not looking for crew without teeth either ). no hot showers, very limited battery bank, NO REFRIGERATOR. Lots of fishing on the way.

here the NO's:
NO Hamburgers
NO French-Fries
NO Airconditioner
NO ATM
NO Cell-Service
NO Internet
NO Starlink
NO Facebook
NO Whatsapp
NO Instagram

NO Social Media
NO Cigarettes (so no smokers please, besides that you stink and make burn-marks, you guys get grumpy and unbearable when you run out of your precious goods)
everything for extended periods of time

Looking for able bodied sailor(s) to assist with sail. Crew Needs at least the basic sailing skills; NO NEWBIES. Don't be scared to write if you are not a super-professional either. Also I will NOT be rushed so there will be no promises of arrival dates, crew must be willing and able to wait out all weather restrictions, I ALWAYS ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION. No drinking while underway.

Most of the time we will be staying on the hook on remote islands, there are NO Bars, NO Clubs, NO Souvenir-Shops, NO sun-lotion and NO Pharmacies, not planning on spending more than a few night at a Marina.

Basic costs (fuel, food and living needs) will be paid, to be discussed in detail and depend on the individual crew members experience level. Crew is expected to have cash to pay for personal needs. Your expectations should be to enjoy a leisurely sail, with a minimum of creature comforts: salt water baths, lots of beans and rice, and a drama free, slow trip in paradise. Please contact me first by email at dominicanelectronics@gmail.com

Not looking for a relationship nor hook-up

NO drugs, we will be boarded with dogs upon arrival! We can have lots of beers though when we get there.
You can use the boat as your base for a week or two and explore the Dominican Republic.
Roundtrip-Flights from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale with Jetblue or Spirit go for as low as 180$. You can go home and come back later to stay on the boat.

My apologies for all the "NO" 's but I am sure that the ones that have spent weeks on the water understand what I am trying to avoid to attract
huramentzefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 16:28   #2

Boat: FP Mahe 36 Duo
Re: Relocating: USA South East & Florida to Dominican Republic

Wow. This sounds like an awesome trip. Most folks could shoot themselves and have a better time. And I suppose we all fly to and fro, share expenses and consider it all “ getting experience”. Captain you may wanna pull back a bit here. You’re asking for help right?
Kazamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 20:36   #3

Boat: Hobie 16

Hey captain,
I like your air b and b idea. I can't imagine people would enjoy staying on anything shorter than 30 feet and the headroom is a big issue too. But I am writing to say I would sail with you for 50 dollars a day. Please read my sailing resume on this site by clicking on my profile name and then click on the "about me' button.
Otherwise fair winds to you.

HobieAndy
Hobieandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 06:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamaran View Post
Wow. This sounds like an awesome trip. Most folks could shoot themselves and have a better time. And I suppose we all fly to and fro, share expenses and consider it all “ getting experience”. Captain you may wanna pull back a bit here. You’re asking for help right?

Megayacht Engineer. Like when career military finally retire and realize the world doesn't operate like the military.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 07:14   #5

Just a word of advice on posting a crew request. A certain level of humor is appropriate, but when it overflows and is hard for some people to tell from an anti-social rant it is counter-productive.

All of your long list of NO could have easily been handled with one or two sentences and left people with a much more positive impression of the trip.

Of course if I am mis-understanding and you were NOT trying to be a bit humorous, well.. pity the poor crew...

I am curious however, how exactly are you going to clean/repair/maintain an Air-B&B boat in Luperon?
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 13:37   #6

Boat: Pearson 35

Hello,

My name is Bill Manning. I'm very interested in helping you relocate! Ive never been to the dominion republic, funny I looked at it to consider moving there in about a year! I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason.
My specs!

I'm a 68 year old retired firefighter/paramedic with 50 years sailing expereince, started when I was 17 on a large pond with a sunfish. Ive crossed the gulf stream to the Bahamas several times, Ive been in one knock down, 2 hurricanes and the famous no name storm in central florida that had hurricane winds, there was no warning! I failed my 100 tons master license while I was going to paramedic school full time and gave up to focus on being the best paramedic I could.
I'm a true florida cracker and can survive off the land! I'm a non smoker, only drink on special occasions, have stayed on boats for months at a time and lived on one several times in my life.
I'm clean, raised in abject poverty so my frugalness is earned! I'm a avid fisherman, castnetter, lobster master! LOL If ypu havent gotten your desired help yet please consider me. However, I am just like you, safety first. I will fly up to meet you and we can see how it goes. I'm an avid reader, above average intelligence, however that is relevant to the idiots I have as friends, they think I'm smart. hint, they dont read much!
If you are interested in meeting to discuss please let me know! I have money, not alot but lets say i have enough to last me a lifetime!
Bill Manning
firemedicbill@yahoo.com
I did 12 years at North river fire dept, moved to Sarasota County Fire Dept where I did 25 years! I'm healthy, in better shape than 95 % of men my age. I have been retired for about 5 years and looking for a trip like this! If required I can provide about 200 personal referances, they will tell you that I'm the life of the party until something happens, then its no nonsense, straight to getting it done until the job is finished! Plus, I'm great to have around in an emergency! LOL
Either way my friend, I wish you the best and hope to hear from you!
Bill
firemedicbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic, florida, USA