Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 13:49   #16

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'
Re: Repositioning Needed

OK, thanks all for the inquiries and interest in how this came out. I was able to find a family friend of a friend and licensed 100T USCG captain for only $150 per day plus food and travel expenses. I know it's not a fair representation of what an actual repositioning cost would amount to, but it is what I agreed to. He did tell me that his normal rate was $400 per day, Plus Plus plus... So I know I'm getting a great deal.

I hope this helps someone and, that like with many things, its who you know that makes all the difference.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 14:20   #17
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for the clarifications. Unfortunately, the fellow you hired is probably quite desperate for work and I would wonder why that is the case. I doubt if the owner of a boat paying for someone else to sail it could have purchased and maintained a boat by working 24 hour days for $150. Similarly, one does not normally and voluntarily cut their pay by almost 2/3 on a whim and expect to own a boat one day. As long as "professionals" and boat owners continue down this road while everything else in the boating industry climbs in price, this can only spell trouble. Would you hire an electrician to rewire your inverter and batteries for a few dollars an hour? Even a mechanic just to change your oil and a belt will cost $150--for an hour or so. How many times has a $150 per hour mechanic said "Oh 'I'll do it for $40 an hour". We all have to be careful in regard to this. I think this thread has played out since the owner shared with us what he did. He took lowest bidder because of a friend of a friend--and meanwhile standards of safety, care and professionalism can only deteriorate. At the same time, plenty of boaters here and elsewhere respond to queries by saying "Sure--it's easy to learn to sail. Just go out and try it. Don't pay a professional. Ask a friend at the dock..etc etc. We don't do that with skydiving, or flying airplanes or driving tractor trailers, or installing gas pipes...and rarely with snow skiing or even tennis or golf...but in boating? Sure...
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 14:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
That is unusual to publish the range of quotes, and the range itself is really quite unusual. I am interested along with Jughead, and am forced to wonder as well. I think it would require a paid captain, a paid mate and possibly an unpaid deckhand to make it a bit easier. The trip could of course go offshore and hug the beach or ramble down the ICW with all its no-wake zones, bridges and delays etc.-stop at dark and then Hawk Channel of course, or a combination of both. Assuming the crew is in Florida, their transportation costs to or from would be minimal. This is about a 350 NM trip. All told, preparation, inspection, provisioning and travel home, accounting for different route options, weather, 24 hr watches vs. resting at night etc, this would make this anywhere from a bare minimum and "if all goes well" 3 day trip to a possible 7 day trip. Anyone calling himself a professional and only asking for $1600 for this journey is well...amateurish and probably desperate and inexperienced. That quote should be disposed of quickly. $4500 is on the high side but not altogether unreasonable. If captain and mate were billing $500 a day plus food for an estimated 7 days plus transportation--who knows? I do hope the OP made his or her choice based on a number of factors and NOT making cost the primary factor. All boat owners should be aware of the old simple rule of life--you get what you pay for. Perhaps the OP will provide some more details as was reasonably and respectfully requested by Jughead....???
Forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't you the same person who runs a commercial entity who looks to hire a mate every year to "Sail! Learn! have fun! Meet people. Earn great tips."?

Is that also paying someone their worth? Tips?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 14:46   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Repositioning Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
OK, thanks all for the inquiries and interest in how this came out. I was able to find a family friend of a friend and licensed 100T USCG captain for only $150 per day plus food and travel expenses. I know it's not a fair representation of what an actual repositioning cost would amount to, but it is what I agreed to. He did tell me that his normal rate was $400 per day, Plus Plus plus... So I know I'm getting a great deal.

I hope this helps someone and, that like with many things, its who you know that makes all the difference.

Thank you for the clarification. I hope it all works out.

Me? Either I charge my rate, or for close friends I charge zero. Either way as a licensed master,
Once I step on ANY boat I have liability.

But -Once again thanks for the post

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 14:48   #20

Another way to look at this agreement of mine is. I’m a nice freaking dude, and this gentleman is a great friend of a friend asking for a favor. In my world , not everything is a transaction, as I look to build friendships It’s a favor, and nothing more. I for one am a professional, but won’t throw my money away needlessly when I have a very competent (retired) captain that is willing to help another man in need . No more, no less. Nothing to overthink on this one
Old 06-10-2021, 14:51   #21
Marine Service Provider

You are forgiven as you asked. My mates are not licensed and are not doing long, distance overnight deliveries. I am not a wealthy yacht owner but a very hard-working businessperson with huge bills to pay just to keep going in a limited season while boat bills accrue all year long. Many, many captains who are licensed worked their way up working hard and long hours to get their licenses--often with no pay at all. That is what I did for hundreds of days--without tips as a young man. That is exactly why their services--once they are licensed should be valued--SEA TIME! Meanwhile, lots of people want to sail and earn tips. Delivery skippers are taking an expensive boat on a risky voyage. My mates, for your information, receive a lot of valuable and professional training while underway which would have cost them a lot of money at a commercial sailing school. Most of them have college or advanced degrees. They have included USNaval Academy graduates and retired Naval and Marine officers, a lawyer, an NTSB crash investigator, engineers, and a high school STEM student getting credit, tips and pay for maintenance work=--a great deal for him. Three are Eagle Scouts including an engineer who has completely learned how to sail this season and worked with me on over 70 trips. On overnight trips they get paid--and meals too. They learn the innerworkings of a commercial sailing operation and are paid for their maintenance and cleaning work They are handsomely rewarded with tips, which is quite common on charter boats--and they have a lot of fun going on pleasant pleasure sails. Finally, they are clearly gaining valuable seamanship training and mentoring and understanding of marine systems, customer service etc. And they get to go home and sleep at night in their own beds. Not that this is any of your business, or your concern, but perhaps you have some kind of axe to grind or chip on your shoulder or are jealous. By the way, on deliveries, my mates do get paid well, plus good meals, plus transportation and almost always a nice dinner out upon arrival. Either way, you are forgiven, as you asked. Perhaps you'd like to sign up? First thing--you must pass the pre-employment drug screening and enroll in a testing program--which I pay for--along with shirts and hats. You might enjoy this--and perhaps we could both learn from each other--!
Old 06-10-2021, 14:53   #22
Marine Service Provider

I agree with Rubicon. Not everything is a transaction--and relationships are primary--but everyone has to earn a living. I am sure you are a nice freaking dude. So are most people...hopefully myself included--but we all still need to earn a living.
Old 06-10-2021, 15:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
You are forgiven as you asked. My mates are not licensed and are not doing long, distance overnight deliveries. I am not a wealthy yacht owner but a very hard-working businessperson with huge bills to pay just to keep going in a limited season while boat bills accrue all year long. Many, many captains who are licensed worked their way up working hard and long hours to get their licenses--often with no pay at all. That is what I did for hundreds of days--without tips as a young man. That is exactly why their services--once they are licensed should be valued--SEA TIME! Meanwhile, lots of people want to sail and earn tips. Delivery skippers are taking an expensive boat on a risky voyage. My mates, for your information, receive a lot of valuable and professional training while underway which would have cost them a lot of money at a commercial sailing school. Most of them have college or advanced degrees. They have included USNaval Academy graduates and retired Naval and Marine officers, a lawyer, an NTSB crash investigator, engineers, and a high school STEM student getting credit, tips and pay for maintenance work=--a great deal for him. Three are Eagle Scouts including an engineer who has completely learned how to sail this season and worked with me on over 70 trips. On overnight trips they get paid--and meals too. They learn the innerworkings of a commercial sailing operation and are paid for their maintenance and cleaning work They are handsomely rewarded with tips, which is quite common on charter boats--and they have a lot of fun going on pleasant pleasure sails. Finally, they are clearly gaining valuable seamanship training and mentoring and understanding of marine systems, customer service etc. And they get to go home and sleep at night in their own beds. Not that this is any of your business, or your concern, but perhaps you have some kind of axe to grind or chip on your shoulder or are jealous. By the way, on deliveries, my mates do get paid well, plus good meals, plus transportation and almost always a nice dinner out upon arrival. Either way, you are forgiven, as you asked. Perhaps you'd like to sign up? First thing--you must pass the pre-employment drug screening and enroll in a testing program--which I pay for--along with shirts and hats. You might enjoy this--and perhaps we could both learn from each other--!
It just seems a little disingenuous to criticize someone for stating what they want to pay when you are willing to pay someone nothing so that you can earn a wage.

To each their own I guess but that whole glass houses thing comes to mind.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 15:11   #24
Marine Service Provider

Again, I forgive you, but you did not take me up on my offer to have you come work with me. Glass houses indeed. It is not disingenuous in the least and as you can see here, if you are willing enough to see, that I am very upfront and straightforward and clear. I tried my best to explain the obvious "apple and oranges" situation here. I can dish it out and I can take it and I stand behind what I say "but that whole glass houses thing comes to mind" as you said. I still forgive you.
Old 06-10-2021, 16:16   #25

Thanks all for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't you the same person who runs a commercial entity who looks to hire a mate every year to "Sail! Learn! have fun! Meet people. Earn great tips."?

Is that also paying someone their worth? Tips?
Old 06-10-2021, 20:26   #26

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You have to be careful with how you pay crew. A mate is an employee, and subject to the Jones Act. Much better to give a tip after the boat has safely arrived. Of course, a professional delivery service would withhold taxes and provide W2 or 1099 forms.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote