Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 20:12   #16

Boat: Spray Replica
Re: Sailing Cebu Philippines to Siargao

G'day G2L and Windrush.

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. I only check in to CF every week or two.

I should have our routes in and out of Dapa. They were on both OpenCpn and Raymarine Navionics. I will have a look at download them.

To enter and leave there are two points. The Northern winding narrow channel is easiest when coming from Surigao and the open southern mouth when heading south.

The channel has Philippines Navigation Markers. (Random bamboo poles). They give you some indication but sometimes it isn't clear if you go left or right of them. The ferries use the channel so it is advisable if you can to follow one of them. In clear weather the shallow areas are easily seen.

Heading south the bay is relatively open but again you need to watch for the bamboo poles. There are a couple of shifting banks and immovable reefs.

Where we anchored both times there are a number of banks. Anchoring behind the biggest gave us excellent protection and even cut down on ferry wash. We used two dinghy landings. Both have different attributes depending on tide and weather. The first is at the new market that was under construction this time last year and is a stepped wall. The other was a little further south and had a jetty with pavilion, very good for getting fuel delivered from the near by Gas Station but a little more congested than the market..

The local were great and even looked after the tender. If you get a chance visit the hospital and say Hello, possibly with a cake for the staff. If any thing goes wrong they will look after you very well. They are a little reticent toward westerners as they often cop abuse from 'the backpacker surfer types'. The doctor who treated Wendy was fantastic. Initially she never spoke English. After she realised that we weren't part of the regular surf crowd she opened up and was fantastic. Apparently a lot of the surfers get injured by the coral then abuse the medical staff whilst being treated. The staff choose not to engage them, it's just easier for them. One of the sad parts of areas that attract that sort of tourists.

This is the anchorage at night. Certainly worse places to spend time.

I think we have fixed the problem with the home page.

Garry
Spirit of Sobraon
Home Page
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 17:43   #17

Killer NE Monsoon this Year: Sailing Cebu Philippines to Siargao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Wind is kicking up in places in the Philippines today through Wednesday with some areas clocking 45 knots. be careful out there
Yeah, this is one heck of a NE monsoon this year. So cold and strong it literally knocked apart a couple of typhoons. The just evaporated in the SCS after crossing the country.

Not going anywhere til April, so no problem.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:03   #18

Being a surfer myself, it is disappointing to hear that some visitors are giving the rest of us a bad name. I first went to Siargao before it became an international surfer's destination, and the vibes were very good back then. The streets were all sand and there were a handful of expats living there permanently who hung out at a local carinderia, which (other than Patrick's) was about the only place you could get a beer in those days.

From your description, however, I fear that the place may have become a bit like Bali, over-run by folks not very sensitive to the local customs and expectations. Too bad.
Old 13-02-2017, 18:41   #19

PS - Initial Post is Incomplete: Full Text Follows

Connection was cut off before I was finished editing the post. Full text is below:

Being a surfer myself, it is disappointing to hear that some visitors are giving the rest of us a bad name. I first went to Siargao before it became an international surfer's destination, and the vibes were very good back then. The streets were all sand and there were a handful of expats living there permanently who hung out at a local carinderia, which (other than Patrick's) was about the only place you could get a beer in those days.

Most of the surfers were Philippinos and jet-packing surfers from Europe, Australia or the US. The locals were generally happy to see them as they brought in a little cash for the local shops and boatman who ferried us out to the outer island breaks. There were no cars on the island and no international competitions, so their impact was minimal, and the atmosphere laid back and cordial.

On the contrary, pro surfers no doubt come in toting all kinds of gear, with camera crews and the press following them. My guess is that during the high season, the place becomes something of an over-run menagerie, and that is probably what the locals object to. Pro surfers can be a macho, cocky, and competitive lot as well - other attributes that the locals probably don't appreciate.

From your description, I fear that the place may have become a bit like Bali, over-run by folks not very sensitive to the local customs and expectations. Too bad. Will have to stray off the beaten track in order to still be able to experience the best of what the island has to offer.

G2L
Old 13-02-2017, 19:19   #20

PM sent.
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 05:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsailorbob View Post
PM sent.
Got it. Did you get my email?

G2L
Old 03-03-2017, 02:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Hello,

Will be sailing south around April 1, from Cebu to Bohol, visiting some beautiful little islands off the coast for snorkeling, diving, fishing, etc. Then we head over to Leyte and possibly some whale watching. Will explore the relatively unknown islands around Dinagat, Bucas Grande and other pristine spots on the way to Siargao - surfing capital of the Philippines.

Will take maybe 15 days or more to leisurely meander our way SE, depending on what we find along the way, weather, and like concerns.

Boat will stay in Siargao for a few months exploring all around the island and spending significant time surfing the lesser known breaks. Crew could possibly stay aboard during the entire Siargao stay.

Specific itinerary is rather flexible, so crew will be able to have some input in that regard.

Should be a fun trip, so PM me if interested.

Best to all,

G2L
Hey Lane,

Got your PM showing an interest in crewing aboard. Please respond to my PM via email as requested.

Glad to hear that you are interested in making the trip,

G2L
Old 06-03-2017, 03:25   #23

Mike - Got your PM, Still Room Aboard

Mike,

Got your PM and responded via email. Respond to my email soon, as there is still room for one more aboard.

G2L
Old 06-03-2017, 03:34   #24

Hi Again Windrush ...

Have talked to Sobraon and gotten some valuable info from them on Dapa etc., that I can share with you if you like. Really nice folks.

However, forgot to ask them about the Open CPN overlay they said they could provide, and I haven't been able to contact them lately.

If you have the overlays and/or need the stuff I have, send me a PM and we can exchange info via emai or email attachments. My inbox is stuffed, so email is best once we have each others addresses.

Best regards,

G2L
Old 06-03-2017, 06:59   #25

Boat: Looking for first SV

Hello G2L,
I sent a PM a few days ago, but didn't get a response. Are you still looking for some crewing during your PI adventure? If so, I'm excited to discuss the opportunity.

Mike
watt7ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 23:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt7ts View Post
Hello G2L,
I sent a PM a few days ago, but didn't get a response. Are you still looking for some crewing during your PI adventure? If so, I'm excited to discuss the opportunity.

Mike
Look in your trash : )
Old 11-03-2017, 07:52   #27

Hello G2L,
Are you still looking for crew on this trip?
Gale Force
GaleForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38   #28

Still Need Crew - Re: Sailing Cebu Philippines to Siargao

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
Hello G2L,
Gale Force
Hi, still need crew. Sent you a PM with an email address. Will send details via that medium.

Thanks for your interest in the trip.

G2L
Old 16-03-2017, 04:17   #29

Check my latest email on your, our schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
Hello G2L,
Gale Force
Please check my latest email on your and our schedule.

Take care,

G2L
Old 16-03-2017, 04:19   #30

Sobraon CPN overlays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Sounds like a great time. we did Surigao to Cebu last year, so many beautiful places to stop.
Come to Guimaras during the mango festival in May, we have a great anchorage here and secluded beaches Happy sailing
By the way, did you ever get those Open CPN overlays from Sobraon? Am interested in getting a copy. Shoot me a PM, if you have tlime.

Thanks,

G2L

Tags
Philippines, sail, sailing