Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2024, 10:22   #46

Boat: 2011 Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: San Francisco to Portland, Oregon (area) APRIL 22 Depart 4/22

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I agree on the extra fuel jugs. I have left piles of full and empty jugs on my arrivals in the north, because they gave the option of not stopping.
@ donradcliffe - I just wanted to follow up with you regarding extra fuel cans and the outcome.

RECAP
  • The vessel has an onboard tank of 62 gallons.
  • Originally 10 x 5 gallon reserve fuel cans totaling 50 gallons
  • Added 5 more 5 gallon fuel cans in San Francisco totaling 25 addition gallons
  • Vessel had a 75 hp Yanmar inboard engine. Both from the manufacturer's fuel consumption to RPM graph and my measured observation (theoretical vs actual), they corresponded very closely (0.5 gallons/hour).

OUTCOME
At Brookings Harbor in Oregon, I refueled. 62+50+25=137 gallons, or 274 hours runtime=approx 11 days (11.4)

I completed the voyage with 10 x 5 gallon reserve canisters= 50 gallons and estimate that I used plus approx 1/2 of the 62 gallon main tank (80-ish gallons of fuel remaining at the end of the trip.)

On the last day through the San Juan Islands, I did increase the RPMs to 2000 per my route plan to make it through during a favorable tide so I would end close to the end of slack tide which worked out as planned. I did increase the motor to 2500 RPMs for about 5 minutes through the Dodd Narrows on the way into Nanaimo Harbor. The current has the potential to get VERY strong there (5-6 kts) if you don't time it correctly. I had a local in a power boat drive up next to me in a power boat shouting that I handled that well and did a great job getting through there, especially in a low speed boat. They must have seen some precarious attempts... I give credit to the timing of the tide crossing (close to slack tide) over anything else.

Better to have extra fuel in reserve than run out and I finished with more than needed. I appreciate your constructive comments donradcliff.
llamadingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:31   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
yeah I'm just thinking about going upwind at about 6 or 7 knots, in a lightish flat bottom boat with 7' swells at 10 sec.
I think this was either meant to be a joke or the boat was confused with another thread.

For the benefit of anyone genuinely interested in sharing constructive information, I'd like to provide clarification. A light, flat bottom boat with the current sea state, in this time of year and mission is a suboptimal choice. You'd want a boat with a deeper keel and more weight. The sea state... that has a more nuanced response.

VESSEL
As JPA Cate (Ann) pointed out, this is a 50 foot boat
  • Length 50' 5" LOA
  • Beam 15' 4"
  • Depth 9' 10"
  • Gross weight 17.31 tons (34,620 lbs)

This vessel points high (point of sail), has adequate gross tonnage, holds a line well with her deep keel, and is nimble in changing course.

BAR RESTRICTIONS
Even with all of the bar restrictions, there are some important distinctions to note. Before and during the time of my passage, I heard and received a lot of comments and well intentioned advice about all the "bars being closed". There is a difference between bars being Closed vs Restricted. Of the 15 bars up the coast on the NOAA and USCG bar report only 2 were technically closed for my vessel size. I'm not saying I would still enter, but at times the restrictions (and associated fines from USCG) only applied if you were UNDER the size restriction (i.e. restricted recreational vessels under 15 feet, 25 feet, etc.) Only two bars showed "Restricted all" for some period of time during my passage.

Due the fact that I was on a delivery (vs. cruising/exploring) I agreed with Montanan that not stopping at any bars (if avoidable) aligned with my mission. I compensated by adding more fuel reserves (for an additional safety measure.)

SEA STATE
"7' swells at 10 sec" - Would this be so bad? The answer is IT DEPENDS. It can't really best be answered unless you have more information.
  • Are you on a sailboat?
  • Which direction is the wind coming from and what is the point of sail?
  • How strong is the wind forecasted to be?
  • How strong are gusts forecasted to be?
  • What is your margin of safety in addition the forecasts?
  • How many reefs will you if you put in advance based on forecast?
  • How is your boat set up? what size sails do you have?
  • which sails are you going to put up?(main, foresail, both)
  • Do you plan to motor/sail/motorsail?
  • How deep is your keel?
  • How long will these conditions hold up?
  • Do you have auto-pilot or manual?
  • Can auto-pilot keep up with the sea state or will you have to take over at times?
  • How long are the conditions forecast to persist?
  • What are your piloting skills?
  • How many crew do you have? (shifts)
  • What time of day will you travel? (visual or not)
  • How conservative will you travel? (slower but fewer adjustments, long vs short tacks, etc.)

There is no one answer for all boats and all conditions. It needs to be a balance of knowledge, experience and good judgement. Weather is never 100% certain, but we have more information now than just looking out the window at clouds for sure

FOR THE RECORD
After rounding Cape Mendocino, I saw and departed based on forecasts for strong southerly winds of 25 kts, decreasing to 20 kts, and later to 15 kts. Sailed with 3 reefs in the main (initially) and reefed jib. Point of sail initially a run, shifted to a broad reach, then eventually beam reach. Waves were from the stern at 9 feet, 9 seconds at departure with wave period increasing as per forecast over time. Motor sailing at 1500 RPMs. Comfortable, auto-pilot managing fine for most of the trip, with exceptions for 4 hours on Saturday with manual helm (anticipated).
From Cape Mendicino to Cape Johnson (northern Washington State)
  • Average speed northbound 7.3 kts
  • Top speed 10.1 kts
Old 04-05-2024, 12:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenatsea View Post
Thanks for sharing this journey and all of the data links. Since this was a delivery, do you mind sharing some details on the boat? Interested in size, weight, sail config. any additional interesting information.

This is a journey I'm looking at completing in a couple of years.
Hi Kenatsea - I just posted all the info you requested. I hope you find the information helpful.

All the best
Kevin
Old 04-05-2024, 22:50   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadingo View Post
I think this was either meant to be a joke or the boat was confused with another thread. [/LIST]
My mistake, I thought forecast showed wind and swells were out of the northwest.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 16:04   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My mistake, I thought forecast showed wind and swells were out of the northwest.
No worries Don C L! Actually, you were correct - that was the upcoming prediction . I pushed to make the window and follow the Southerlies northbound before the NW winds could close me out. I cleared into Strait Juan de Fuca about 30-48 hours in advance of the predicted NW wind and swells. By that time I was already "round the bend" and heading EAST towards Vancouver. Else I would have just waited in place if the window did not present itself. Thanks

Tags
oregon, portland, san francisco