Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 10:05   #31

Re: Skipper wanted for Ketch 50f > Jan to March 2018 East Africa

Thanks Ardbeg I see the distillery is going to make proper moorings and a possible pontoon very soon...

Off to Skye tomorrow for a few days after a hectic year of deliveries.

Take Care!
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 10:12   #32

Stop Press: 2xbottles of Ardbeg being delivered by courier within the hour. A surprise gift from my wife Slainte!
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 11:02   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Atoll, thanks for your reply. I arrived in the Seychelles approximately one mth ago, and don't want to head south to Richards bay this year as it would be a rush. Plan is to stay in the Seychelles until May unless I can come up with a alternative, ie Tanzania, but I'm concerned it will be a real slog to get to Madagascar may/June next year from there. Thought about maybe heading back to Chagos then to the Maldives, come January head up the red sea but the pirate thing has become a little active again this year.... Just trying to think of options.
i would stay in seychells if you can find a safe place to leave the boat and fly to kenya or tanzania,most of the good stuff to see is away from the coast.
there used to be reasonably cheap flights daily,then come april may head south to mayotte and mada,with the intention of getting to SA in october and cape town around xmas. to hop off for carib in jan.
otherwise april may is the time to head north from tanzania or seychelles for red sea.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 11:07   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
As someone who lived in Africa for almost 30 years be very careful about the type of malaria medication you carry. Many mosquitos tend to carry resistant malaria. Understand what a loading dose is and how to administer. Carry lots of medication and hide in different locations on boat to reduce chance of theft.
If you do not manage malaria well people could die in 24 hours. Also symptoms can be the same for cholera and Salmonella. You will have to decide to take medication as more often than not you will be in a location where prompt testing not possible. Remember of the 4 types of malaria falciparum can kill you in 24 hours if not treated.
I spend most of my time in West Africa and carry Malarone, enough for one treatment and loading does. I do not know what drug is best for east coast but make sure you research it well.
last i heard they were using artemesin against resistant strains,malarone and other similar and IV quinine and antibiotics in hospitals
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted, skipper, arc, ketch, Africa