Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2022, 09:34   #1
cruiser

Boat: mgbeTGD
Send a message via ICQ to SuttonCS Send a message via AIM to SuttonCS Send a message via Yahoo to SuttonCS Send a message via Skype™ to SuttonCS
Some shakedown & learning daysails in Galveston

I bought a boat on April first of 2021 in Biloxi, MS.

I have very limited experience and a search of my history on this site would reveal that I've made some serious mistakes in the past, including the beaching and abandonment of my first boat in 2018.
That said through a combination of motoring and sailing with the help of a friend from back home I brought this boat to from MS to Kemah, TX.

I then spent all of last year working on the boat and bringing it up to cruising standards. It is now ready or at least very nearly ready for day sails into the bay. I would like someone to go with me. Preferably someone with experience, but anyone will do. I'm flexible and agreeable, and it could be fun. The only way to become experienced is to get more experience, so I would like to do that. I hope to become more comfortable on the bay this season. With increasingly longer voyages. First just day sails then maybe a couple days to Port Aransas and back or a week to Corpus. Finally, I wish to relocate south. The primary challenge now is building the ability to do so safely.

As for the boat is a 1970 Morgan Cruising Ketch, it's "nice" and well-loved. Every repair and improvement was made with high quality materials and to industry or ABYC standards where they exist. Everything works and the engine starts and runs smoothly every time. Until I spend more time on the bay I can't speak to everything's reliability, but it's not an old wreck.

I predict in response to this post some people will suggest or demand that I get paid sailing lessons. I don't want to get into the discussion of means and economics that is tied to that. Suffice it to say I have not found a source for such lessons that are viable for me at this time.
SuttonCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:10   #2

Re: Some shakedown & learning daysails in Galveston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonCS View Post
I bought a boat on April first of 2021 in Biloxi, MS.

I have very limited experience and a search of my history on this site would reveal that I've made some serious mistakes in the past, including the beaching and abandonment of my first boat in 2018.
That said through a combination of motoring and sailing with the help of a friend from back home I brought this boat to from MS to Kemah, TX.

I then spent all of last year working on the boat and bringing it up to cruising standards. It is now ready or at least very nearly ready for day sails into the bay. I would like someone to go with me. Preferably someone with experience, but anyone will do. I'm flexible and agreeable, and it could be fun. The only way to become experienced is to get more experience, so I would like to do that. I hope to become more comfortable on the bay this season. With increasingly longer voyages. First just day sails then maybe a couple days to Port Aransas and back or a week to Corpus. Finally, I wish to relocate south. The primary challenge now is building the ability to do so safely.

As for the boat is a 1970 Morgan Cruising Ketch, it's "nice" and well-loved. Every repair and improvement was made with high quality materials and to industry or ABYC standards where they exist. Everything works and the engine starts and runs smoothly every time. Until I spend more time on the bay I can't speak to everything's reliability, but it's not an old wreck.

I predict in response to this post some people will suggest or demand that I get paid sailing lessons. I don't want to get into the discussion of means and economics that is tied to that. Suffice it to say I have not found a source for such lessons that are viable for me at this time.

Assuming this offer is still open let me know, I'm in the area and interested!
freeasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 18:57   #3

Re: Some shakedown & learning daysails in Galveston

I have some experience. I live in Wyoming and would like to sail with you for maybe a week to 10 days. Please give me a call and we can figure out if this is of a mutual interest.

Sincerely,
Mark R
(3070 761-1814
DeerWood9323@yahoo.com
Sailingsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, sail, sails