Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 13:54   #16

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
FYI:

In order to mitigate against Covid 19 infection, all arrivals to the USVI are required to undergo a 14 day self-isolation quarantine before being able to move about the USVI.

So if a crew person is recruited to fly into the USVI, they likely will require lodging / provisioning accommodation for two weeks before availing themselves for on-boarding your vessel.
Self quarantine on the boat. Boat can be underway.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:54   #17

The Government of the US Virgin Islands
Department of Public Health
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USVI Covid guidance.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	215450  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:15   #18

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

1. So if a crew person is recruited to fly into the USVI, they likely will require lodging / provisioning accommodation for two weeks before availing themselves for on-boarding your vessel.

Not true. Can stay on the boat for the 14 days, and can leave anytime during the 14.. Can not fly in for pleasure, but delivering a boat is business. Know if several boats who have had crew fly in and no problems whatsoever.

2. Bahamas have loosened up a lot for boats heading to the states using "innocent passage" and crew are not allowed on land. International treaties all provide for "innocent passage" through territorial waters of a country. This means not making contact with locals, entering ports (except for repairs or emergency supplies) etc.

Bahamas specifically suspended innocent passage early on but, in large part to lobbying by the Salty Dawg group, have actually made it very easy to transit through their waters. Just need to get pre-approval. Can use the Salty Dawg site or go direct to Bahamian government. Very easy process and allows flexibilty. Just don't screw with the intent. And for sure do not offer to take anyone from one island to another, no matter how much pleading is involved.

I would recommend doing all provisioning in the USVI's. Puerto Rico is hard core on quarantine and nightly curfew, although you can go into some marinas now. Things loosening up on May 25 but don't know the details.

Enjoy the trip.

Bill

Can only refuel and get water at limited locations and getting provision are subject to substantial restrictions but it can be done. They are waiving all fees for boats that are transiting the area. Not supposed to dillydally too much, but breakdowns, weather and crew rest are allowable reasons to stop.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:22   #19

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
Self quarantine on the boat. Boat can be underway.
Depends on where you are. Doesn't appear to be the case in St Thomas TODAY but some places tell you where you have to quarantine.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:41   #20

Boat: Leopard L38

Quote:
FYI:

In order to mitigate against Covid 19 infection, all arrivals to the USVI are required to undergo a 14 day self-isolation quarantine before being able to move about the USVI.

So if a crew person is recruited to fly into the USVI, they likely will require lodging / provisioning accommodation for two weeks before availing themselves for on-boarding your vessel.
You are wrong sir!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:42   #21

Quote:
The Government of the US Virgin Islands
Department of Public Health
This does not pertain to US citizens with US flagged vessels, trying to get out of the hurricane belt.
Old 20-05-2020, 14:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
1. So if a crew person is recruited to fly into the USVI, they likely will require lodging / provisioning accommodation for two weeks before availing themselves for on-boarding your vessel.

Not true. Can stay on the boat for the 14 days, and can leave anytime during the 14.. Can not fly in for pleasure, but delivering a boat is business. Know if several boats who have had crew fly in and no problems whatsoever.

2. Bahamas have loosened up a lot for boats heading to the states using "innocent passage" and crew are not allowed on land. International treaties all provide for "innocent passage" through territorial waters of a country. This means not making contact with locals, entering ports (except for repairs or emergency supplies) etc.

Bahamas specifically suspended innocent passage early on but, in large part to lobbying by the Salty Dawg group, have actually made it very easy to transit through their waters. Just need to get pre-approval. Can use the Salty Dawg site or go direct to Bahamian government. Very easy process and allows flexibilty. Just don't screw with the intent. And for sure do not offer to take anyone from one island to another, no matter how much pleading is involved.

I would recommend doing all provisioning in the USVI's. Puerto Rico is hard core on quarantine and nightly curfew, although you can go into some marinas now. Things loosening up on May 25 but don't know the details.

Enjoy the trip.

Bill

Can only refuel and get water at limited locations and getting provision are subject to substantial restrictions but it can be done. They are waiving all fees for boats that are transiting the area. Not supposed to dillydally too much, but breakdowns, weather and crew rest are allowable reasons to stop.

Thank you Moontide! All these armchair sailors are one of the reasons I am rarely on this forum anymore.
Old 20-05-2020, 16:07   #23

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions. We will be arriving in St. Thomas, and allowing plenty of time for provisioning and readiness. And, yes we will definitely provision for the entire trip and then some. We now have a great crew, who all share a love for sailing and flexible schedules to accommodate whatever changes might be needed as we go. While the trip may not be as easy as it might have been prior to all the craziness, we are all looking forward to a pleasant time. Quarantining on a boat, in beautiful waters beats staying at home!

Fair winds and happy sails!!
Tropiclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 08:16   #24

Boat: Southerly 57

Have a great trip. Don’t let the misinformation on this board get in your way. Sounds like fun! Better than the chilly Chesapeake.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 11:58   #25

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Thank you Moontide! All these armchair sailors are one of the reasons I am rarely on this forum anymore.
Most members of this forum, in my experience, truly want to be helpful. Sometimes a member might be misinformed or might draw the wrong conclusion. Or perhaps they misinterpret the OP's question or their information is dated. When those posts are made other members respond with corrections, updates and clarification. I suppose that why it's called a forum. If I post a question and get a response that tells me what I "should" do or derides my question as ignorant or irrelevant who cares? I only pay attention to responses that provide information, posit solutions, offer opinions based on experience and then allow me to make my own decision. I respond to posts using the same criteria. If that makes me an "armchair sailor" I guess I'll just have to find a way to live with that stigma.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 06:42   #26

if you still need help message me asap.. i am taking a nap but will check my msgs this afternoon just in case you havent left..

i might have found this thread too late but let me clarify a few things..

ever since the virgin islands governor illegally closed the territory, this because he can not legally do so, only the united states department of the interior and president himself can, and even that raises constitutional questions, there were first leisure travel restrictions, and later leisure travel requirements for those incoming.

i believe the last executive order i read welcomed leisure travelers back but required a quarantine and so you isolate on the boat.. and beyond that who is going to enforce it anyway.. it's the united states virgin islands not new york city..

i used to live on island and understand the territorial government pretty well.. the virgin islands government did setup a covid task force consisting of the virgin islands police department, virgin islands department of health, vitema, and other agencies.. but even when leisure travel was restricted there were exceptions..

for instance business travel was permitted as long as you could substantiate your need to be on island.. again this wasn't very constitutionally compliant but whatever..

they do what they want in the virgin islands and well that's what makes living there so awesome in my opinion.. really takes you away from the mainland standard which is the whole point of living an island lifestyle..

otherwise you would just move to florida.. oh wait half the country already has.. never seen anything like the relocation to this state in the 30 years i logged here..
sinkingship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 07:46   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjandoverguy View Post
I think that great trip I wasn't going back to the States I'd be sure happy to do that flights Lauderdale to Saint Thomas are like 75 bucks you you don't want somebody on your boat that can afford 75 bucks
I wouldn't want to get on a boat that couldn't afford seventy-five bucks to get me there
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:36   #28

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I wouldn't want to get on a boat that couldn't afford seventy-five bucks to get me there
Absolutely! A skipper too cheap to pay my $75 flight is likely to be a very unpleasant person to sail with and crew for.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:14   #29

Boat: ChrisCraft,Connie,37ft

The Great Circle route North would take about 7 days. Three man crew would need to stand watch 4 hours on/8 hours off to be safe and effective.
And prepare for about 60 gallons of fuel for calm winds.
I've gone the opposite direction before.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:09   #30

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Just made the trip from Dominican Republic through Bahamas to FLL and north to Wilmington, NC.

The respective US Embassies in the Bahamas and Caribbean Islands posts the latest travel restictions for mariners as well as others. DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING about traveling between countries without OFFICIAL knowledge (accessible from. countries website or the respective US Embassy with the country of interest).

Albeit a few weeks ago I need special written permission to transit the Bahamas. No stopping except for necessary rest and possibly fuel as designated locations.

I am afraid the Coronavirus is not done with us yet. The relaxation of restrictions is the US is an enigma. Have of us our wearing masks and practicing social distancing and the other half the country (or in the case of Georgia no one) seems to believe it is totally back to normal. A second wave of inflections could easily cause reimposition of severe restrictions. Again, always check official sources or the US Embassy for current information. Assume nothing.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote