Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 09:00   #31

Boat: Lagoon 570
Re: Teacher to home school 8 year old

All very valid points and worthy of my evaluation. This is not something I have to do it is something that might benefit me. I am not hell bent on finding a warm body to fill the need. If the right person comes along then we will make it happen. But I will think clearly about any legal complications in the EU. I would think I could do this but if I violated any laws I would pass. I am looking for the right person, right situation, right everything. It would be up to them to decide if being on a boat with us would be safe for them, it would. Neither of us would need to lure a female on board, but the applicant would need to evaluate this.
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 11:51   #32

Interesting opportunity, which I could be interested in. Timing is wrong though. Retired teacher for 25 years after a military retirement too, licensed boat captain, 45 years of sailing/boating experience. I have seen homeschool curriculums and been involved in putting some together for parents. It is work. It is adapting to the needs and capabilities of the student. I would at least think there would be an offer to include any traveling fares, weekly stipend, sponsoring teaching materials, an attire allowance, and other considerations, on top of the room and board, of course. Not to be argumentative, but I spent thousands of hours to get my qualifications, and money too. I hope you find a good teacher and crew mate for the child, because I would want her to get the best education possible. That is such an important age.
Belleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 13:30   #33

Boat: Lagoon 570

Thank you Belleman. I didn't list everything figuring I would explore more with all potential parties. But yes, my intention is to provide for all expenses including travel, entertainment, incidentals, some reasonable regular funds, etc. I can appreciate the work it takes to properly educate someone and prepare a curriculum. We had her enrolled in an online charter school and the home schooling we did was to follow along and do the work dished out by the school system. We could do this again. She is very bright and has learned much from our experiences and she blows me away with the knowledge she is picking up. But she needs help with fundamentals, reading, writing and arithmetic. My wife was her teacher but she got sick and passed away a few months ago leaving me and the kid. My son moved home to help and we all decided to continue on with our sailing because it was my and my wife's passion. Only I suck at teaching! I am going to consider some other alternatives including full time nanny and teacher as some have suggested. If we find no one that works out I guess it will be time for me to develop some patience and some new skills!
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 14:41   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timreyn View Post
Thank you Belleman. I didn't list everything figuring I would explore more with all potential parties. But yes, my intention is to provide for all expenses including travel, entertainment, incidentals, some reasonable regular funds, etc. I can appreciate the work it takes to properly educate someone and prepare a curriculum. We had her enrolled in an online charter school and the home schooling we did was to follow along and do the work dished out by the school system. We could do this again. She is very bright and has learned much from our experiences and she blows me away with the knowledge she is picking up. But she needs help with fundamentals, reading, writing and arithmetic. My wife was her teacher but she got sick and passed away a few months ago leaving me and the kid. My son moved home to help and we all decided to continue on with our sailing because it was my and my wife's passion. Only I suck at teaching! I am going to consider some other alternatives including full time nanny and teacher as some have suggested. If we find no one that works out I guess it will be time for me to develop some patience and some new skills!

There is NO better teacher than a childs concerned parent. The child will show you along the way what their strengths and weaknesses are. You will be singularly focused on one child not thirty five all at once. You just need to figure out how your child learns and follow that. Though school structure has it's benefits, I assure you at this age they won't out weigh the benefits of travelling the world on a boat and home schooling. Look into home schooling conventions, they used to have one every year in Tampa. You'd be amazed at what's happening within the homeschooling crowd. Instead of worrying that your child may not get enough of science, math, reading and writing, I assure you they will, focus on teaching your child how to learn for the rest of their lives. Give them that gift and get out of their way. If they want to be an engineer, doctor, etc. they will let you know soon enough and they will then take on the work that it takes to pursue their own dreams (Not yours). Give them the wings they deserve and they will not disappoint you in the long run.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 13:23   #35

I am a retired university professor of mathematics with a broad knowledge of science and engineering. I have a fairly good knowledge of Italy and Greece, including the Island of Crete, having traveled there many times for conferences, collaborative research and fun.
I would love to take this opportunity but the start date is too soon. Is there any chance of joining at a later date?
Peteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 16:46   #36

PS
I am also familiar with Corsica and can recommend places on that island.
Old 01-07-2021, 17:31   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteri View Post
I am a retired university professor of mathematics with a broad knowledge of science and engineering. I have a fairly good knowledge of Italy and Greece, including the Island of Crete, having traveled there many times for conferences, collaborative research and fun.

I would love to take this opportunity but the start date is too soon. Is there any chance of joining at a later date?
See...someone thinks this is a potentially worthshile exchange!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:25   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
See...someone thinks this is a potentially worthshile exchange!

Exactly. We always seem to get into trouble when we assign what we would or would not do to others.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 16:36   #39

Also, my wife is a pediatric nurse practitioner who has taught health to middle school classes. She has a broad knowledge of literature and history. Would you be interested in taking a couple, joining in August?
Old 06-07-2021, 07:17   #40

Great opportunity. I wish I was a teachter, I would join.
erikvanrosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:57   #41

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

Its fair for the OP to ask for what she would like for her situation. People will judge for themselves if it's worth it or not to them. If the OP is providing a cabin for the teacher, free ride throughout the med, feeding the teacher as well then it would not be "slave labor" but yet a trade/swap/barter. Slavery is involuntary. Would be a great gig for a teacher on sabbatical with a little cash saved in the bank. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 12-07-2021, 15:45   #42

I am a newly retired teacher. I once helped sail a yacht from Hawaii to Fiji.

Might be interested.

But I'm female and come with a tiny dog.

I don't drink, smoke, or party, though, and am not interested in that.
meandmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 13:17   #43

Boat: 1983 25 ft. Cal Mark ll
Send a message via Skype™ to sillysallysue

Sent you a PM.
sillysallysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 18:19   #44

To all the naysayers, haters, and trial judges, and otherwise unemployable, seriously, go look in a mirror to see the cause of your misery. Then channel your envy somewhere else.

I have homeschooled an 8 year old. I learned from that I would rather let someone qualified do it, for my sake and hers. Doesnt make me any less of a Dad.

If I were in a position to take this on, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All the best to the OP.
SunHarvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 19:08   #45

Boat: Volkscruiser

Reading all these posts I can't help but feel the lines will get blurred a bit between nanny/teacher/crew member/babysitter. Your looking for a teacher, but where do you draw the line at that? Do you expect every shore excursion to be a teaching lesson? Is there a cook onboard or is that part of my rostered duties as well? How about when you and your son want a meal ashore and who gets stuck with the 8 year old? Raising two kids I know they have no idea of boundaries so is it feasible to tell your 8 year old that school starts at 9 and until then I am not interested in seeing them? What about your relationship with your son? You mentioned he moved back home to help raise your granddaughter that your wife was teaching. That sentence alone raises so many questions?
I have been in similar "volunteer" situations and spoken to other crews where the owner thinks everyone is getting a free holiday but the reality was it was more like slavery. I am not kidding, your giving us the sales pitch but the reality is your teacher could end up working a 100 hours a week and be expected to be grateful for it.
This offer sounds more like a script for reality TV, no doubt you will find someone. You should keep us posted as to how it goes and maybe get the teacher to post here as well so we get a balanced view.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school