Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2021, 07:24   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Teacher to home school 8 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunHarvester View Post
To all the naysayers, haters, and trial judges, and otherwise unemployable, seriously, go look in a mirror to see the cause of your misery. Then channel your envy somewhere else.

I have homeschooled an 8 year old. I learned from that I would rather let someone qualified do it, for my sake and hers. Doesnt make me any less of a Dad.

If I were in a position to take this on, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All the best to the OP.

Everyone in my family is a teacher. All degreed out the wazoo. After HS a child, mostly "Mrs. Tellie" I assure you, no I insist, you are not "Less" of a father. You are one of the great ones and your child will remember you as such for the rest of their lives. I admire and appreciate the huge effort those that take real control of their children's lives put forth and don't easily turn them over to others. In a sense every parent is a home schooler. It's just a matter of degree and how much input and influence they are willing to put forth. Good on you. Your child is very fortunate.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 19:28   #47

Boat: Proactively waiting to find out!

Geez people...a few months ago I paid for the privilege of crewing on a 10 day delivery passage. Not only did I provide my labor as crew standing solo night watches, taking my turns in the galley, etc...I also spent $3500 for the opportunity to do that. In return, I got some training and the skipper's reference as qualified crew on future deliveries. And I had the time of my life! No one ushered me aboard under gunpoint or in manacles to rifle through my wallet to get the money in order to "take advantage" of me and make me a slave. I take that back...they did take advantage of me and I took advantage of them. We both got what we wanted out of the transaction. Thank god you people weren't in the way to keep me off that boat because someone wanted to take advantage of me.

Maybe there's a teacher out there in a similar situation. Maybe they're currently unemployed OR RETIRED looking for an adventure....maybe they want to learn how to sail! Maybe they'll consider a few hours of tutoring a single 8 year old well worth the opportunity. It could be an opportunity of a lifetime for that teacher. Who the heck are you people to try to stand in a teacher's way of what the teacher might want to do. All the while you are denigrating someone for doing nothing more that providing an opportunity. He's not FORCING anyone to do anything. BUT YOU PEOPLE OBVIOUSLY WOULD LIKE TO DO EXACLTY THAT! It's the teacher's life...and it's the teacher's privilege to decide what their time and labor is worth...not yours! Grow up!
ScottyMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 20:02   #48

Boat: Volkscruiser

Scotty I wish I could see the world through your rose tinted glasses. Two guys one kid and a complete stranger teaching the kid and doing who knows what other chores onboard. All while all living on a 50 foot cat could be fun could be a nightmare. No ones standing in anyone's way about applying for the job. But there just needs to be some clarification on details. You are already blathering on about only tutoring the kid two hours a day. I never spotted the hours tutored mentioned and I am sure if it was only two hours a day and then you can chill the OP would be inundated with applicants.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 22:00   #49

I think the O/P's post was an initial invitation to discuss terms. The collective experience of the members' posts perhaps alerted the O/P to the need to clarify expectations: "only tutoring", or also "babysitting", and/or "other crew chores (cooking, night watch, etc.)"?

Covid caused my first-grade daughter to attend class via Zoom internet connection from home for several months. It was minimal minutes each day (45 minutes, 2-3 times per day, separated by 1 hour breaks), and, progress was unfortunately also very minimal. I decided to buy comprehensive grade specific self-study books and structure them into each day, to supplement what she was getting from the Zoom classes. Sometimes she was interested, and sometimes not so much. That experience taught me that home-schooling is not as easy as it sounds (I thought it would be easier, having completed undergraduate and graduate degrees myself, very humbling).

A 8 year-old's attention span will probably last only about 45 minutes per session, so probably a minimum of 2 sessions per day separated by an hour? What is that worth, compared to room-board-expenses and passage on a luxury yacht for several months - and on someone else's schedule when, where and how long to dock, land tour, etc. The O/P will need to find the right individual looking for that experience. Many good points expressed by members here, suggest that the "job description" be thoroughly thought-out and clearly defined, for a mutually gratifying experience. Good luck.
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 11:32   #50

I saw this post late, but I will keep your post handy for next year. 2022

I am a retiring accountant with MBA and I have raised three amazing daughters and have coached youth sports and am a former college professor. I Get background checked by the college, youth sports organizations and for the City that I work for.

Free would be fine for me in exchange for the experience as long as I would be able to have some free time to do some consulting and writing as a side hustle to earn some spending $.

I hope you found someone.
Doug Harbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 10:22   #51

Are you still looking?
I am a Calif Cred. Teacher. Health Sciences is my undergrad.
I have taught grades k-12 in school for learning challenged, Alt ED, and other subjects as Substitute teach. Got an MBA too.
Was a Peace Corps volunteer in 90's.
I am 54. I have crewed a 30ft on Clearlake many times and crewed on 30ft to Catalina from SD.
So i AM a novice sailor and a teacher a ready for new adventure.

Oh i am very handy. with tech as well as on my knees sanding... :-)
Thecarslot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school