Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 12:31   #1

Tips on getting crew opportunites

My wife and I have some sailing experience and could use a lot more. We would like to be invited to crew but have been trying for a year with only a couple inquires. We believe much of our problem is related to Covid-19 restrictions. We're also wondering if we're going about this the wrong way. We're on several sites like "Find a Crew" but are having no luck. Any tips on how to get on as crew would be great, Thanks!
Srfnsnw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:59   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Tips on getting crew opportunites

I was going to suggest find a crew. I picked up four or five couples from around the world on my circumnavigation. Worked out great. Good luck
Old 22-02-2021, 16:10   #3

Boat: Retired from CF

I would not give up. Covid-19 sure has created some issues for everyone but i can assure you it cuts both ways as i am a single handed owner and i am trying to find one or two people to sail with me up the Australian East coast and let me assure you , is not so easy as far as i can see. This is just my personal opinion so dont know whether it is right or wrong but i feel that the guys that have the time and money to go sailing they are the single handed owners and the guys that want to go sailing , well it looks to me they have jobs and families and other commitments and sailing well has to fit into their busy schedule which in my view is hardly ever possible so i dont know what your schedule allows you to do but with sailing you need time and NO schedule. I have nearly given up on finding crew members so when i need to do a longer passage i find a delivery person whom i pay and all other times i sail single handed. Shame you guys are on the other side of this globe otherwise you would be welcome to spend some time on my boat. Good luck.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 13:11   #4

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter

SV Dingo, you hit the nail on the head!

I have a sailboat that is currently in Zihuatanejo, MX and I will be sailing south to either La Crucecita in Oaxaca, or on to Puerto Chiapas, in Chiapas just a few miles north of the Guatemala border. All depends on when I can get away and for how long. Would like to do the trip in mid to late April or early May if at all possible.

I would be glad to have the two of you along.

Building a NorthSea 29

Building a NorthSea 29 - the build continues

Richard Beck S/V Beckon
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 17:15   #5

Hi Richard,

Thanks you for reaching out to me!
Beautiful work on your boat, really impressive job.
I spent a lot of time in cabinet shops having worked for Accuride, Hafele and Grass USA as an outside sales rep for my career.
Unfortunately this trip won't work out for us.
Good luck on your sailing dreams during this tough time for traveling.

Sincerely,
Dean & Kinkani
Old 17-03-2021, 17:20   #6

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srfnsnw100 View Post
My wife and I have some sailing experience and could use a lot more. We would like to be invited to crew but have been trying for a year with only a couple inquires. We believe much of our problem is related to Covid-19 restrictions. We're also wondering if we're going about this the wrong way. We're on several sites like "Find a Crew" but are having no luck. Any tips on how to get on as crew would be great, Thanks!
If you're ever in the Boston area, send me a message. I'm always looking for people want to get sailing experience.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 09:58   #7

Thanks for the offer!
Not sure we'll be in the Boston area anytime soon but will look you up if we are.

Thanks!
Old 19-03-2021, 08:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

What you are is paramount. Be very clear and detailed about what you expect, hope for or can provide. Where are you? How quickly can you be ready to go and for how long? Character is way more important in most cases than are skills but some experience and sailing abilities are very important. Special skills such as medical, mechanical, culinary, computer, electrical, musical etc are often very important. Education? Are you ready to leave quickly? Do you have weather gear">foul weather gear and pfd? Smoke? Drink? Criminal record? Medications? Passport handy? Maybe you should get STCW basics? One person has offered you a tropical April or May trip right off the bat and you say it would not work out. You must be flexible and able and willing to make such offers work out. Maybe you need to get to the right place at the right time--meet folks, walk the docks, post notices everywhere! You think it's tough now? Try it when there were no computers or internet. Keep trying but be available...something will turn up as Mr Micawber said to Copperfield. Let us know what works!!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 11:42   #9

Hi Paul,

That is some great advice I can use to tune up my postings on captains looking for crew websites. Since my original post we've had a few inquiries and are signed up for an opportunity mid-May! We joined a sailing club here in San Diego and are doing courses through the club to advance our knowledge and skills. I haven't heard of STCW training but will look into it. One thing we have learned is that there are some really great people in the sailing community!
Old 20-03-2021, 22:50   #10

Hi SV Dingo, are you looking for crew (inexperience but super fit/handy) at any time soon on the East Coast of Australia. We are based at Bundaberg and ready to go. Many thanks, Donna donnavenna@yahoo.com
DonnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 21:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
I would not give up. Covid-19 sure has created some issues for everyone but i can assure you it cuts both ways as i am a single handed owner and i am trying to find one or two people to sail with me up the Australian East coast and let me assure you , is not so easy as far as i can see. This is just my personal opinion so dont know whether it is right or wrong but i feel that the guys that have the time and money to go sailing they are the single handed owners and the guys that want to go sailing , well it looks to me they have jobs and families and other commitments and sailing well has to fit into their busy schedule which in my view is hardly ever possible so i dont know what your schedule allows you to do but with sailing you need time and NO schedule. I have nearly given up on finding crew members so when i need to do a longer passage i find a delivery person whom i pay and all other times i sail single handed. Shame you guys are on the other side of this globe otherwise you would be welcome to spend some time on my boat. Good luck.

Are you still looking for some help to sail up the east coast. If you are, send me a contact detail and I’ll give you a call.

Cheers
Grant
Grantley64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 22:27   #12

It is easier if you don't sail together. Sometimes i just have one place available on board.

I sailed alone before and could have maximum two crewmembers. It was important for me to have at least one on passages. Someone might get sick. A few days into a passage a crewmember told me that his plan was to leave tha boat if he came onboard and saw that the forecast was bad and we would have to wait a few days. If I bring people who know each other, then I lose both crewmembers and have to find someone else on short notice.
Arrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:35   #13

It took me around 4 months to find my first crew position working from the US east coast and using around 4 different web sites. Now I have had two offers in the past few weeks - one of which is a transatlantic (which I am taking).

I agree with previous posters about flexibility. My first crew I had a whopping 4 days notice but I scrambled because I really wanted to do it. My second one coming up I have a months notice or so but I am on standby as to when exactly to buy a plane ticket. I had two or three offers where the timing just did not work out for me and other commitments.

I expect as time goes by to develop relationships and a bit of a network where cold calls become more rare but would not be surprised if this takes a few years. Enjoy the journey and meeting new people - I am really enjoying that aspect of it.

Got my positions using Crewbay and Crewseekers. Also got an offer or two on Ocean Crew Link - but timing did not work out for those.
Baltic2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:53   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Some tips from someone who has used a lot of volunteer crew over the years:

1. CF Crew Wanted & Avalable, and Crewseekers, are the best venues.

2. Be very honest about your skill level (but don't undersell it, either). 90% of available amateur crew exaggerate their abilities. There is no need to do this -- a high level of skill is rarely demanded on a recreational boat out for a cruise (number one demanded skill is simply watchkeeping). Accuracy in description of your skills will help the skipper make a better decision and better plan for you for when you're on board.

3. Emphasize personal qualities. Sailboat owners looking for crew are looking first of all for people who will be pleasant, helpful, and good company. Eagerness to help in any possible way is by far the Number One best quality of volunteer crew.

4. Don't neglect non-sailing skills. Cooking, and handy fix-it skills, not even necessarily boat specific, are very high on the list of desirable qualities, probably higher than sailing ability.

5. Offer to share costs. A sailboat owner in the U.S. can't ask you to pay a fixed sum (or it's considered a charter; big no-no), and technically can't ask you to pay anything at all which is not totally voluntary, but you can volunteer to chip in on food, fuel, berthing, other direct expenses. You will be much more popular if you are not expecting the boat owner to be hosting you and feeding you.

6. Be ready to travel. This will expand your opportunities greatly.

Good luck. Volunteer crewing is a great way to get experience and enjoy cruising without the hassle and expense of owning your own boat. When there is a good mix of personalities, it can be tremendous great fun. I have made lifelong friendships with people I met volunteer crewing on my boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrandir View Post
It is easier if you don't sail together. Sometimes i just have one place available on board.

I sailed alone before and could have maximum two crewmembers. It was important for me to have at least one on passages. Someone might get sick. A few days into a passage a crewmember told me that his plan was to leave tha boat if he came onboard and saw that the forecast was bad and we would have to wait a few days. If I bring people who know each other, then I lose both crewmembers and have to find someone else on short notice.

Well, but a lot of skippers like couples because they have some double bunks on board. Two crew for one bunk space is a benefit in many cases I'm happy to have couples on my boat provided both people are otherwise suitable.

But inflexibility with schedules, making weather delays impossible, is a deal breaker for me. Skipper doesn't need the stress of people expecting to sail to a rigid schedule. The availability period of volunteer crew needs to cover possible weather delays and routing changes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew