Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 09:16   #16

Re: To do or not to do is the question at hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Yeah, but after he finished his circumnavigation he settled in Montana. Never to set sail again! lol.
Not true.. He still sails although it is on flathead lake.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:41   #17

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

I would not encourage you to take a boat of that age and size out into open water in the Gulf of Mexico... meaning anything over, say, 25-30 miles out, which could take you out of USCG radio range. If you do decide that you really want to risk it, the good news is that with your draft you could chop your trip into quite a few offshore overnighters and come in to anchor and rest in lots of places without the need for a marina. In that case, your longest stretch in our waters would be Apalachicola to Cedar Keys. Then after you get around Fl., plan your way thru the Bahamas with as many stops as needed. I realize this adds many miles to the trip,, but they'll be safer miles. In any case,, you really should have an AIS system, radar, EPIRB, life raft, and some kind of auto pilot or wind vane, esp if short handed. Good luck and Cheers, Pappu
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 10:39   #18

Boat: CLC Skerry

Sir, if those pictures are of the boat in its present condition, I'd say way less than half the work has been done, and the rest will cost more than the boat itself. I would not risk sailing 1,000 miles against prevailing winds and seas in a 44 year old Catalina 25 without a complete overhaul and upgrade of rigging, sails, engine, lifelines, keel bolts, water system, holding tank, etc., not to mention the interior condition, which looks, shall we say, "spartan" at best. You are looking at an ordeal, not an adventure, IMO.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:08   #19

Boat: Nonsuch U30

If fixed keel, you could sail it (after hurricane season). If it is swing keel, center board, then sell it. There are lots of boats to be had in PR VI and BVI.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:17   #20

OK, I have something to ad here. Back so many years my friend Jack , wife & sons & I worked on his Coronado 27 for about a year, to make a trip from MDR to Oahu. The vessels name "Small World" & yes a very small world in deed. Jack stated that it's the only boat I own & I want to sail to Hawaii.
Well, they did sail, & on the way the Sons committed Mutiny, the rudder fell off 100 N miles before Oahu.
What it comes down to is this; The design & size matters greatly when it comes to open water. Yes we have had great Sailors do it with small vessels, but I'm sure they knew that their vessel was sound & their experience with open water qualified their sojourn.
So I will stand along with some of the other sailors here on this site, some are clowns & some very serious, but logic states here, sell the boat & as others have said, buy another there or close to PR. The love you have for sailing will get you past the love you have for this vessel. The saying about boats, the two happiest days in life is when you buy a boat & second is when you sell the boat. So be happy three times, sell this one & buy another.
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:49   #21

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I used to have a 21 ft Columbia. I sailed her through the Bahamas many times and once to the Dominican Republic...Luperon. I was a lot younger then..30 yo. I had a 27 ft Whatkins and sailed her to Isla Mujeras 'bout ten year ago. That wore me out, I didn't even go check in after droppin' the hook for a day and a half. I've lived aboard all the boats I've had for the past 30 years. At 50 ish a small boat ...under 32 ft...is a little rough on the body, she goes up and down every wave....a lot of hanging on ;-)

For your stated plan, I don't see a problem, it is doable. watch the weather windows and be prepared to get wore out on the longer legs and along the north coast of Hispanola. From georgetown to rum cay it can get a little rough...not dangerous, but ware you out. but we're only talkin a long day. Day sailin' the island down to the turks is nice and a lot of fun. in that boat from there to the DR is a good 24 + hrs. and being open water a little rough on the body...ie...wedged in, hanging on to somethin'.... along the coast of hispanola it's short sails just off shore catchin' the shore winds. crossin' the Mona passage? There again watch the weather. plan to take a break after, as you'll be sore. Then where in Puerto Rico are you stain'? If on the south side plan the mona crossin' in accordance. if on the north, it'll be the same sailin' plan as Hispanola, except Puerto Rico isn't as high on the coast. Either way you go, it'll be hard to windward from the DR on.

It's definitely an adventure the boat could handle, provided the equipment is in satisfactory shape. If I was younger and/or in better shape, its an adventure I wouldn't hesitate to take on. The boat is plenty big enough for daysails and weekend trips off Puerto Rico. As far as gettin' the boat down there? leave your self plenty of time...don't sail on a schedule, sail on a season.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 18:02   #22

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

Lots of great reply's, pick your weather, go down to Florida, go inside when you can if weather is ruff, go across Okeechobee waterway. By this time you will know if you and the boat are ready for the trip.

Yes it can be done, if your careful, I think what hurts many a sailor is a schedule, If you have the time to wait on weather windows, I think you would be fine.

Might see ya down there some time.

Good luck,
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 21:29   #23

Boat: Cal-40

I understand you are a bit worried about the smaller size of your vessel being its 25ft. Robin lee Graham sailed his Cal-24 solo around the world in the late 1960's. Given the right time, skill set and not being in a hurry your vessel could do the same. How wonderful it would feel for you to clear your vessel through PR customs after having just sailed it from Florida. Have faith, your boat can take you as far as your desires.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 16:39   #24

Boat: 1972 Catalina 25 ft

Thanks for all the I put and safety you all have mentioned. It seems as if all of you were right and we have decided to either sell it or ship it now.
ltdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 21:01   #25

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I guess you "Too Small" guys have never heard of Robin Lee Graham? Circled the world in a 24'er. He wasn't old enough to vote when he started his trip, 16 years old if memory serves. Back in 1965.
Don't forget Blackfeathers, a Cal20 that was solo'd to Hawaii. Last I'd seen, it was still sailing San Francisco Bay.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Feather.../dp/1440191964
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote