Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2017, 20:48   #1

Vancouver to Hong Kong, April-June 2018

Please reply by personal message if you are interested in becoming a crewmember. Please describe your experience (if any) and expectations. (Please do not reply if you will not be available April through June 2018.)

Planned route: British Columbia, Hawaii, Guam, the Philippines (potentially), Hong Kong. Conditions could be challenging at different points along the route, for example wintry weather at the outset.

Timing: Planned departure on or before 1 April 2018, weather permitting, aiming to arrive in Hong Kong before the end of June 2018. Crew members will ideally arrive about one week prior to departure to assist with preparations and to get to know the vessel and other crew members.

Vessel: 45-foot pilothouse motorsailer with sloop rig, custom built in 2006 from aluminum, of traditional design, set up for simple operation and living aboard by a couple. Normal complement of equipment and electronics, including plotter, radar, VHF radio, AIS-B, EPIRB, satphone, tender, life raft, etc. Substantial fuel and water tanks. Hydrovane to be installed.

Crew: Two crewmembers wanted. At least some experience at sea is preferred (so we know that you won't be incapacitated by seasickness). Must be physically and mentally healthy. Having some useful skills (e.g., knowledge of engines, electrical systems, electronics, etc.) would be advantageous. The voyage is suitable for persons who are friendly, have a sense of adventure, are able to face difficulties humbly, want to experience the open sea for its own sake, have realistic expectations and can switch off from the internet for prolonged periods. Willingness to stand watch at any time, including in the middle of the night, and willingness to share all duties are essential. Crewmembers should have their own medical insurance protection. At the risk of being too direct in my words: Bigots and barflies are kindly asked not to reply.

Costs: Subject to negotiation. I am not looking for “paid” crew or a professional skipper.

Special considerations: No smoking, alcohol or drugs on board. To make mealtimes easier for everyone, crewmembers should be willing and able to go without meat during the voyage (with the possible exception of fish caught from the boat while offshore).

Apologies if the above is inadequate information. I'm very busy with many things!
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 22:20   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Vancouver to Hong Kong, April-June 2018

Hi Lantau, not sure if you have made this trip before as I have a few times

My first impression is that you have given yourself a very narrow window to reach HK before the typhoon season.

Another CF member made the trip about 2 years ago from Seattle but positioned himself in San Francisco earlier before heading across to Hawaii.

Hopefully you can find his thread on the trip....would be useful
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 15:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Lantau, not sure if you have made this trip before as I have a few times

My first impression is that you have given yourself a very narrow window to reach HK before the typhoon season.

Another CF member made the trip about 2 years ago from Seattle but positioned himself in San Francisco earlier before heading across to Hawaii.

Hopefully you can find his thread on the trip....would be useful
Thanks for this comment. It explains precisely why we have chosen these dates. There's a narrow window to avoid potentially difficult weather on both ends. The aim is to depart no later than the first day of April. If I can get the boat ready to go earlier, and the weather is favorable, we can set off a little bit sooner. Alas, positioning the boat further south is not an option.

Alas, I cannot find that thread. Do you know the username of the member who posted that? Thanks again.
Old 20-10-2017, 15:31   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Just checked my PM's
VF name
SV Windrush II
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 15:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Just checked my PM's
VF name
SV Windrush II
Thanks!
Old 21-10-2017, 12:12   #6

Hi Lantau
This sounds like something I would consider. Retired 54 year old fit male, vegetarian, ASA sail training last winter but limited sail time, life long power boater though. Looking solely for adventure and experience prior to buying my own boat. When on boats many around me have been sea sick but I never had any strange feeling at all. I'm very mechanically inclined have owned many different companies including automotive garage and construction, lots of hvac,gas, plumbing electrical experience as well. I'm extremely easy going safety conscious yet a thrill seeker.
Gotagonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 15:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotagonow View Post
Hi Lantau
This sounds like something I would consider. Retired 54 year old fit male, vegetarian, ASA sail training last winter but limited sail time, life long power boater though. Looking solely for adventure and experience prior to buying my own boat. When on boats many around me have been sea sick but I never had any strange feeling at all. I'm very mechanically inclined have owned many different companies including automotive garage and construction, lots of hvac,gas, plumbing electrical experience as well. I'm extremely easy going safety conscious yet a thrill seeker.
Thanks for your interest in joining the trip. Could you contact me via the Cruisers Forum private message system? (I access it via the Quick Links drop-down menu, but there's probably another way.) Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2017, 20:14   #8

Just to clarify, this voyage will be aboard a sailing vessel. It's a sloop-rigged "motorsailer," meaning that we'll sail downwind and across the wind, but we'll motor or motorsail (using both motor and sail) upwind. We won't be planning to do any beating to windward. If history is any guide, the the vast majority of this voyage will be downwind.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13   #9

Hi, detailed PM sent. thanks. Martin
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 18:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
Hi, detailed PM sent. thanks. Martin
Hi Katoema. Did I already reply to you via PM?
Old 08-12-2017, 19:01   #11

I'm having a "Parasailor" spinnaker made for the boat, so anyone with experience using one of those would be most welcome to get in touch. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
Please reply by personal message if you are interested in becoming a crewmember. Please describe your experience (if any) and expectations. (Please do not reply if you will not be available April through June 2018.)

Planned route: British Columbia, Hawaii, Guam, the Philippines (potentially), Hong Kong. Conditions could be challenging at different points along the route, for example wintry weather at the outset.

Timing: Planned departure on or before 1 April 2018, weather permitting, aiming to arrive in Hong Kong before the end of June 2018. Crew members will ideally arrive about one week prior to departure to assist with preparations and to get to know the vessel and other crew members.

Vessel: 45-foot pilothouse motorsailer with sloop rig, custom built in 2006 from aluminum, of traditional design, set up for simple operation and living aboard by a couple. Normal complement of equipment and electronics, including plotter, radar, VHF radio, AIS-B, EPIRB, satphone, tender, life raft, etc. Substantial fuel and water tanks. Hydrovane to be installed.

Crew: Two crewmembers wanted. At least some experience at sea is preferred (so we know that you won't be incapacitated by seasickness). Must be physically and mentally healthy. Having some useful skills (e.g., knowledge of engines, electrical systems, electronics, etc.) would be advantageous. The voyage is suitable for persons who are friendly, have a sense of adventure, are able to face difficulties humbly, want to experience the open sea for its own sake, have realistic expectations and can switch off from the internet for prolonged periods. Willingness to stand watch at any time, including in the middle of the night, and willingness to share all duties are essential. Crewmembers should have their own medical insurance protection. At the risk of being too direct in my words: Bigots and barflies are kindly asked not to reply.

Costs: Subject to negotiation. I am not looking for “paid” crew or a professional skipper.

Special considerations: No smoking, alcohol or drugs on board. To make mealtimes easier for everyone, crewmembers should be willing and able to go without meat during the voyage (with the possible exception of fish caught from the boat while offshore).

Apologies if the above is inadequate information. I'm very busy with many things!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:41   #12

Quote:
Hi Katoema. Did I already reply to you via PM?
Hi, no there has been no response by you via PM or email. Thanks, Martin
Old 09-12-2017, 14:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
Hi, no there has been no response by you via PM or email. Thanks, Martin
Apologies, but your message didn't reach me by PM. Can you resend it? Many thanks.
Old 09-12-2017, 15:13   #14

Quote:
Apologies, but your message didn't reach me by PM. Can you resend it? Many thanks.
Hi resent.
Old 16-12-2017, 21:07   #15

PM sent inbox
paolodig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong