Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2024, 03:32   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
pirate Volunteer Delivery Crew Wanted, Tayana 55’ from Mazatlán to California May/June

We have one or two open crew positions on this 55ft cutter for the 3-4 week upwind passage from Mexico to N. California starting May25. There are no cost or shared expenses nor is there any pay as this is a volunteer position. All on-board food and cruising expenses are covered by the owner, plus reasonable travel expenses are available to experienced sailors.

(The Passage) We will begin in Mazatlan Mexico on or around May25 and it could take as much as 3 or 4 weeks to traverse the over 1500 miles to Crescent City, California. We have a tendency to sail conservatively and as much as possible, but we will stop for weather as required and use the engine to motor or motorsail whenever needed to expedite the passage. We have redundant satellite communication devices onboard including starlink for offshore weather, tracking, and contact with a professional weather router if needed to help us avoid inclement weather. If we could go nonstop we might, but it’s fairly certain we will make at least a few stops for weather/fuel and to scavenge for tacos whenever possible.

(The Boat) Is a well-known sturdy blue water cruiser, a 1988 Tayana 55’ cutter. Information about this vessel is available by searching online and additional details and equipment lists can be made available to potential crew. She is a sound and proven vessel with all USCG required safety equipment and much more. She has recently completed the passage from Florida to Mazatlán via the Panama Canal and has a recent positive survey available as well.

(The Captain) Is a USCG Licensed 100 Ton Master that has completed a solo circumnavigation on a 30ft sloop and has completed over 100,000 nm of offshore sailing. A link to my sailing resume, references, and contact info is available on the ‘about me’ section of my profile. In addition to myself there is a well-qualified mate with over 10,000 offshore miles including a recent passage on this vessel. We are looking for one or two additional crew members to round off the team and will consider couples.

(The Arrangement) This is a delivery and I am seeking volunteer crew. On-board food/provisioning and passage-related expenses, fuel, marina fees, etc, will be provided by the owner. Reasonable travel expenses / airfare is available for those with substantial sailing experience. Expenses like going out to eat, food and drinks at the marina restaurant, or any entertainment is your responsibility. Flights would be into Mazatlan Mexico and you would likely need to arrive no later than May25 with no other obligations for the next 3 to 4 weeks. Our final destination is Crescent City California. All crew are expected to take direction and help with all aspects of the passage including pre-passage preparation and post passage clean up. We are alcohol and drug free underway, and you should expect to help keep an active watch as required, usually solo on a rotational basis both day and night, helping with navigating, collision avoidance, weather analyses, sail-handling, cooking, cleaning, repairs, etc. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to gain miles and especially for individuals looking to gain offshore cruising experience, confidence, and mile-building with the supervision and instruction of a qualified captain underway. While not required, I certainly appreciate offshore experience. I am also happy to help and teach novice sailors with basic skills who are hardworking and enthusiastic. What you don’t know, you will be taught.

(How to apply) Please feel free to post here but ALSO send me a private message or email including your phone number, location, nationality, age, try to let me know why you would like to take this trip and why I should pick you. Tell me about your sailing experience, have you done any multi-day passages or solo night watches? Attach a sailing CV if you have one. Please mention any other experience or skills that you might possess that could be useful at sea (engineers, medical professionals, mechanics, cooks etc,). Please be patient, it may take a week or two to get back everyone on my shortlist as this trip is well over a month away, and I will certainly contact you directly or update this post the moment all positions are filled.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Cheers, Kirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommys Tayana 55 photo port aft.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	288408  
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 16:01   #2

Re: Volunteer Delivery Crew Wanted, Tayana 55’ from Mazatlán to California May/June

Hello,

My name is Chase Watts, and I am 19 years old. Although I have limited sailing experience, the opportunities I've had to sail were with my brother on his sailboat, during which I assisted with the sails. I consider myself to be very intuitive and a quick learner, qualities that I am eager to apply towards learning how to sail. I am very enthusiastic about volunteering for this opportunity and look forward to contributing to the best of my abilities.
ChaseWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 21:52   #3

Re: Volunteer Delivery Crew Wanted, Tayana 55’ from Mazatlán to California May/June

Hi there!

I am happy to join your crew if you are still looking for crew for the June stretch.

For a little bit of background, I am a 17 year old moderately experienced high school sailor. I have participated in a handful of unorganized regattas and have experience in setting/using spinnakers and trapezes on C420 class boats, as well as cruising on Catalinas (17.4 and one 20-ish footer). Mainly experienced in the Bay Area of California, but I am happy to join you on the Azores leg. Looking to gain more experience on rougher conditions and larger boats.

As for personality, I am a pretty decent cook, good in high-stress situations, and most definitely a "cheerleader" as you described. I believe I am mature for my age, so immaturity should not be a problem here.

Contact me on my email or my phone number (whatsapp) if you want to take me on: anshambatkar@gmail.com or +14086790580

I hope you consider me, and have a great day! You sound awesome.
mewhenisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 17:26   #4

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

UPDATE: All crew positions have been filled, thank you everyone for the response as always!
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, crew, crew wanted, delivery, wanted