Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2023, 09:33   #1

Writer available to support Transpacific voyage

Hello all,

Do you need a crew member to help with a transpacific trip in early 2024 from Asia to North America?

I am a nonfiction author writing a new book for Penguin Random House, one of the world's largest book publishers, and I'd be both happy and grateful to join your crew.

My book is about animal societies around the world, and the final leg of my research involves crossing the Pacific from East or Southeast Asia to North America. My original intention was to be a passenger on a cargo ship going along this route, but as you may know, most of the cargo ship companies have not resumed offering these opportunities after shutting them down during Covid.

As such, I'm exploring other opportunities to get across the Pacific by boat sometime between December 2023 - Summer 2024. I'm extremely flexible on the departure and arrival locations, as long it goes from the west side of the Pacific to the east side.

Many thanks in advance for your time, from a fellow explorer.

- Ryan
PacificAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:25   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Writer available to support Transpacific voyage

You better off insisting on the cargo ship when and if it becomes available again. Sailboats are very rare to cross west to east against wind and currents. You may if you are lucky, find a boat coming back from Japan or Hawaii. Best wishes for your book.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:33   #3

Thanks, SVTatia. Yes, I've been engaging all of the cargo companies, but things look quite grim there. They seem to have basically concluded that handling passengers is more hassle than its worth and many are not planning to go back to allowing non-crew onboard any longer. Quite disappointing.

Riding on a boat of any kind traveling from Japan to the US (including Alaska or Hawaii) would be ideal. Open to any and all opportunities that would be going that route.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

@pacificAuthor. PLEASE check your emails. I think we have a win-win situation

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:17   #5

Replied to your message, Bill. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2023, 15:16   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

From your post I'd suspect that you have little or no sea time in yachts. If that is the case, do be aware that the passage from Japan to North America is a very long one, in waters known to be unruly and with low temperatures. And once you set off there are no bailout spots for a hell of a long time.

Frankly, it seems a poor idea for a novice to attempt such a first time passage.

Jim