Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 15:15   #526
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Are all of you seriously reading all these graphs?? It seems some of you must have large files of these saved waiting.

BTW - if you're not powering your computer with solar or wind to stay on this thread you are part of the problem
Yet another misdirect. Whatever one is or isn't doing to personally address the issue has no relevance to the validity of the science.
Old 25-03-2015, 15:27   #527
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Yet another misdirect. Whatever one is or isn't doing to personally address the issue has no relevance to the validity of the science.
Say what??? If you are a believer are you saying electrical power plants aren't a part of the issue?
Old 25-03-2015, 15:29   #528

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
............ BTW - if you're not powering your computer with solar or wind to stay on this thread you are part of the problem
I'm not using electricity, I'm using a battery!
Old 25-03-2015, 15:33   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Rather than looking at the anomaly at one point - the maximum extent, it is perhaps more relevant to consider how the anomaly is trending.

Looks like it's been pretty flat for the last 10 years. Kind of puts the "lowest evah" into perspective.

Then of course, there is the other end:

Thereby showing that global sea ice is in decline.

And then for a longer term

Old 25-03-2015, 15:33   #530
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm not using electricity, I'm using a battery!
let us know how long that lasts

maybe what I wrote was a kind of joke, but it was 100% the turth
Old 25-03-2015, 16:25   #531

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Seriously, your suggesting that due to 'Subduction', the islands are sinking and not that the water is rising?

'Our mob', is not suggesting the islands are 'sinking' at all, rather there being inundated by rising water.

I was not 'accusing' you of being a creationist. I was asking you to see if you were as you use the same logic in your discussions/arguments as creationists do. Even down to the idea that 'subduction' happens over just a decade and even less, which is what creationists believe. And the interesting thing about many creationists is that they 'in the church' are some of the denier's biggest supporters. Because mankind influence of climate change doesn't fit with their dogmatic views of eschatology.

But peace dude,
Here's post ice age sea level rise:

This gets a little complicated, so try and keep up, ok?

Notice the upwards trending line in the chart above. First point I want to note is that anything other than an upwards trend line would be outside of historical values. Ten thousand years ago my sailing playground were coastal mountains. The sea level has risen around 40 metres in that time. That equates to an average rise of 40 / (10000/100) = 0.4 metres per century on average.

Heres a chart of modern sea level rise:

From the CSIRO (pro-AGW, btw) graph above, the sea has risen 9" in 140 years (and my apologies to snueman for using old data). I'll note the graph is also surpisingly linear as a matter of interest. Converting back to metric that's 0.225 m in 140 years = 0.16 metres per hundred years.

Let's expand on the first graph again, because there is a distinct dog leg at around the 8000 year mark. so, to be fair, we'll use this data: in 8000 years the sea level rose 10 metres; that's an average of 0.125 metres per hundred years.

Ok, time to summise. Put your thinking cap on now.

Average sea level rises (years = metres per century):

10000 = 0.400
8000 = 0.125
140 = 0.160

Difference in sea level rise per century as a direct result of AGW:

0.160 - 0.125 = 0.035

or 35 mm per century.

Yes, Rustic. You read it hear first. The Maldives are sinking under the undeniable inflow of water caused by AGW at the rate of 1/3 mm per year. Time to plug the oil wells and flood the coal mines.

Of course the regular crowd will be along to totally discredit this very simple calculation. The graphs will be fraudulent, the sea level is rising unequally over the globe (how the hell does that happen with the land shifting,anyway???), I'm not an authority on the subject, I haven't homogenized my data and goodness knows what else.

Now do ya git it?
Old 25-03-2015, 17:03   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Remember - warmistas use FAKE DATA
Ya think???

IPCC predictions are around 1 m per century. That's fantasyland not even exceeded by the "melt water" phase of the previous ice age.

Old 25-03-2015, 22:33   #533

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Ya think???

IPCC predictions are around 1 m per century. That's fantasyland not even exceeded by the "melt water" phase of the previous ice age.

What on earth does this post mean? I'm 8 beers (or so) in the wind so probably a little dense.....
Old 25-03-2015, 23:23   #534

This thread is exactly why I hate this issue... valid points supported by reasonable data on both sides of the argument. We have a system which we truly do not understand (global weather over long time periods) coupled with a very emotional agenda on both sides.

My problem is when the solutions always seem to be focused on taking things from the general population while the "haves"/1%/whatever go on their way with little change to their lifestyle.

Gore as an example, has preached GW/CC for nearly a decade now, but still travels in personal jets and seems to live a very lavish lifestyle from the reports I've seen. Granted he is a single datum, but if you are going to be proposing sweeping changes to society which will result in higher taxes, product costs, etc... shouldn't you be living a more minimalist life style to begin with?
Old 26-03-2015, 00:33   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
What on earth does this post mean? I'm 8 beers (or so) in the wind so probably a little dense.....
It means that compared to the actual values of sea level rise at this point in time, Hollywood physics must be a parameter in the IPCC sea level rise prediction model as it is optimistic (or pessimistic depending on which side of the fence you're on) by a factor of 3 to 5.

A skeptic might also question why underlying natural seal level rise is never mentioned or shown in graphs.
Old 26-03-2015, 03:56   #536

Boat: Columbia 24

Sometimes a broader perspective is helpful. The earth is constantly losing heat into space by thermal radiation. The only source to replace the lost warmth is the sun. Over the long haul the sun is the sole source of global warming which is a good thing. BTW currently the other planets in the solar system appear to be in a warming trend. However we really need to look at a scale of thousands of years, not tens of years. Take a much longer view

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-03-2015, 04:06   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumelia View Post
Sometimes a broader perspective is helpful. The earth is constantly losing heat into space by thermal radiation. The only source to replace the lost warmth is the sun. Over the long haul the sun is the sole source of global warming which is a good thing. BTW currently the other planets in the solar system appear to be in a warming trend. However we really need to look at a scale of thousands of years, not tens of years. Take a much longer view

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
One of my points I didn't want to bore the readership with. But since it's been raised, despite that this is certain cannon fodder for pro-AGW diehards, it's nevertheless a thought provoking presentation and well worth a view for anyone sitting on the fence.

Old 26-03-2015, 07:17   #538

Boat: Ta Yang, Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Cobol and Fortran were obsolete as programming languages well before 2000.
I'd simply like to say that Fortran is nowhere near obsolete.
It is also well known to do floating point math an order of magnitude faster than any other programming language.

Just saying.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:43   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by LekiM View Post
I'd simply like to say that Fortran is nowhere near obsolete.
It is also well known to do floating point math an order of magnitude faster than any other programming language.

Just saying.
Well, I am surprised and a quick check confirmed it. I haven't seen it used in mainstream business applications since the '80's but good to see it still alive and kicking. Cheers.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:47   #540

Boat: Ta Yang, Fantasia 35

For trivia's sake, the test for the top 500 fastest computers in the world is a Fortran program (About / The Linpack Benchmark | TOP500 Supercomputer Sites)
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water