Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2019, 16:06   #241
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Interesting that the post doesn't show the heat wave that is spreading across NA. What was the date of that screen capture? Was it during the cold wave in the middle of the winter. This is blatant misrepresentation of the current situation.
does this one make you more happy .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190718-160246.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	196174  
Old 18-07-2019, 16:48   #242

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have seen little flexibility from you.

Despite the obvious deception in the so-called "consensus" studies, I have repeatedly acknowledged that the weight of expert opinion favors the core mainstream position. I also recognize that the solar output theories have only attracted a small minority. But I am certainly not alone in questioning the presentation of the data, the baselines selected for comparisons, the dearth of historical analyses, the extreme & unrealistic prejudice towards the fossil fuel industry, the transparently obvious political agendas, and the ever-present lure of grant money. The inability to reconcile the ground & sea based temp data with the satellite data is also concerning, as are attacks on contrarian but well-credentialed scientists based on their personal, political & religious beliefs. I'll take my chances with the consequences of warmer temps than be governed by people who engage in these sorts of uncivil tactics.

My approach may seem assertive, it is not hostile.

In my view it's not only hostile, but also gratuitously condescending, cryptic, and often bereft of analysis. It suggests an extensive knowledge base, but at the same time a shallow understanding of the overall subject area.

I provide evidence in the form of data or expert opinion. I cite my sources.

Only expert opinion which favors your preferred position, which is why it's so easily challenged by the abundance of different expert opinion that often accompanies a hotly contested, highly politicized scientific issue.

I use the CRAAP test when presented with posts that set off my crap detector.

"Your" crap detector indeed. Inherently subjective, and hence the underlying problem -- you've allowed personal bias to corrupt objective scientific analysis.

I subscribe to Harlan Ellison maxim which I apply to myself and others.

Maxims are one step away from cliches, and so have limited utility in most serious discussions, and most certainly one involving a science topic. I also have little interest in Mr. Ellison's so-called "New Wave speculative fiction," but if you believe that subscribing to short, pithy statements are persuasive then by all means . . . .

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

See my comment immediately above. I get the sense that any opinion you don't share is "ignorant" and can therefore never be "informed." That's a problem you need to resolve for yourself and has little to do with others.

Meanwhile, I read and contribute to Tony Heller's YouTube site, The Friends of Science, Judith Curry, Roy Spencer, WUWT, Principia Scientifica, etc..
Are you as uncivil in your comments towards them as you are on CF? And unlike your work delivering sailboats, I'd be surprised if any of these people are calling you.
Old 18-07-2019, 17:02   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
does this one make you more happy .
Along with an unusually cool & wet spring & summer in much of the US, it snowed 2 feet in Steamboat Springs, CO just a couple of weeks ago. What does this and the heat waves being discussed actually mean? Nobody knows with any certainty. [citation needed?? ]
Old 18-07-2019, 17:09   #244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Along with an unusually cool & wet spring & summer in much of the US, it snowed 2 feet in Steamboat Springs, CO just a couple of weeks ago. What does this and the heat waves being discussed actually mean? Nobody knows with any certainty. [citation needed?? ]
see the afore mentioned video by piers Corbin for a better understanding
Old 18-07-2019, 17:14   #245

Quote:
see the score mentioned video by piers Corbin for a better understanding
I started watching but got interrupted. I'll try and find some time to check it out. Kinda doubt I'll become convinced but I'm sure I'll learn something.
Old 18-07-2019, 17:27   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I started watching but got interrupted. I'll try and find some time to check it out. Kinda doubt I'll become convinced but I'm sure I'll learn something.
for the most part it explains the effects of a solar minimum and the wandering of the jet stream
Old 18-07-2019, 17:40   #247

Quote:
Are you as uncivil in your comments towards them as you are on CF? And unlike your work delivering sailboats, I'd be surprised if any of these people are calling you.
You really cannot avoid the personal attacks, can you?
Old 18-07-2019, 18:12   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You really cannot avoid the personal attacks, can you?
Sorry, but you set the tone on this particular thread. Pages & pages of abuse directed towards Newhaul before I ever chimed in. In fact, almost surreal that you're now criticizing someone else on these very grounds. So I guess I'll ask again, are you as uncivil & petty in your comments towards the scientific experts on the websites you listed as you are on CF? If not, then what is the purpose of your participation on those sites?

Which reminds me, there have been a number of participants on these threads over the years who certainly shared your overall opinions and perhaps even your politics, but who were able to respond most intelligently & effectively (imo) to certain aspects of the frequently cited skepticism as outlined in one of my posts above. As I recall, one was working on his PhD in astrophysics, and another took great pains to explain the state of the science when it comes to understanding the "sinks" which absorb CO2. It was most worthwhile and a meaningful exchange, whether we agreed on the overall core issues or not. Maybe you can give it a whirl sometime. You might be pleasantly surprised how others may respond.
Old 18-07-2019, 20:11   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Interesting that the post doesn't show the heat wave that is spreading across NA. What was the date of that screen capture? Was it during the cold wave in the middle of the winter. This is blatant misrepresentation of the current situation.
the blatant misrepresentation is all yours . Read the full article toward the bottom of the article it states that the graph you claim was from winter was in fact from July 14th .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190718-201311.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	196191  
Old 18-07-2019, 20:30   #250

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

There was less sea ice a thousand years ago. Warming/cooling comes and goes.
Old 18-07-2019, 21:34   #251

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
A healthy debate usually involves participants supporting their positions with their own analysis, only to then be followed up with citation to relevant authority in support of their conclusions.
..snip
My personal observation (being up here 70N 29E since 1978) the summer is nowadays one month longer than before.
Finnish weather service stats https://ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/vuositilastot
Old 18-07-2019, 22:59   #252
Moo

https://skepticalscience.com/
Old 18-07-2019, 23:44   #253
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
oh no not the old debunked 97% bs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180125-130828.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	196202  
Old 19-07-2019, 00:23   #254
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
oh no not the old debunked 97% bs
Doesn't it cross your mind even just a tiny bit that the tens of thousands of climate scientist around the world might actually be on the right track and you just might have got it wrong.........?

Go to any major scientific institution around the globe and you'll heard the same story as this, are they all wrong and just you and a few others dotted around the web are right? >

Old 19-07-2019, 01:01   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
My personal observation (being up here 70N 29E since 1978) the summer is nowadays one month longer than before.
Finnish weather service stats https://ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/vuositilastot
I don't think there's much doubt that the planet has been going through a warming cycle, or that AGW has played a role. The controversy is over the extent of that role.
Closed Thread