Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 04:47   #211

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I think I need to go back and review this Youtube video.

Go watch this one while you're at it...
Old 20-12-2017, 06:51   #212
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
And the question for you is "where does all the volcanic material come from that creates the new islands?"

The answer is that it comes from a magma source lying underneath the new island. As the magma source is depleted (sort of like a balloon deflating), the ocean floor above it subsides. Thus, the water displaced by the formation of the new island fills in the subsiding ocean floor, and so there is no net increase or decrease in sea level.

...Unless we want to think about that portion of the island that is now above sea level. In that case, the sea floor is subsiding more than it is being filled in by water being displaced by the new volcanic material. So actually the creation of volcanic islands causes the sea level to go down.

...Unless we want to think about how a new island is like a person sitting on a waterbed (the Earth's crust). The localized weight of the island/person causes the crust/waterbed to sag downwards under the weight, which makes some other portion of crust/waterbed to bulge upwards.

...Unless we want to take into consideration that the extra mass of rock forming the new island has increased the local gravity, which causes the more water to be drawn towards the new island (which raises the local sea level), but which also causes sea water to be sucked away from the rest of the ocean (causing the sea level to go down for the rest of the world).

It's all very complicated (and mostly irrelevant for the creation of a small volcanic island).... <LAUGH>

Maybe this video will be of interest.

This thread is drifting badly away from the topic of the Northwest Passage. Oh well, the thread is due to expire in just eleven more days. Season's Greetings to all.

and so MMGWC to have such a bs counter argument
Old 20-12-2017, 06:55   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well I could just argue that quoting a handful of localised anomalies does not a global phenomena make. You know the sea covers, like, 71% of the globe right?

Anyhow, here's some stuff to Google that may expand your mind a little or maybe even a lot:
  • Floods
  • Subduction
  • Interglacial sea level rise
  • Ground water depletion
  • Subsidence
  • Erosion
  • Tectonics
  • Gravity variations
reef you already know the answer the MMGWC won't listen to reason or look at facts that don't support their doctrine.
Old 20-12-2017, 14:42   #214

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
For those with extra time on their hands this holiday season, and an interest in some of the historical aspects of discovery of the Northwest Passage, here are some YouTube videos of the ill-fated 1845 Franklin Expedition.
I think you meant "videos about the ill-fated 1845 Franklin Expedition". I doubt that there are any videos of it.
Old 20-12-2017, 18:57   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I think you meant "videos about the ill-fated 1845 Franklin Expedition". I doubt that there are any videos of it.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:36   #216

Quote:
Go watch this one while you're at it...
Your YouTube guy is rather ignorant.

Al Gore's ocean front home is 500 feet above sea level and at least 2.5 miles from shore.

Al Gore's house in Montecito, CA (Google Maps) (#3) - Virtual Globetrotting
Old 21-12-2017, 10:39   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
that information would never see the light of day. If it were to become known people would scream for an immediate cessation of ice breaking activity. And there is to much money to be made in business and the climatology grants to study MMGWC impacts on the ice. Governments and big business would never allow it .
If it has never seen the light of day how do you know about it?
Old 21-12-2017, 10:44   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So now humans are apparently more powerful than the sun according to the GW religion....

Jack, step back from your webpages and look up in the sky during the daytime.... the big bright object you won’t be able to look at emits the energy that regulates the climate along with the earth orbit and angle. It’s always been that way, even the ancients understood this.
Maybe you step into some science. Milankovitch cycles (a recent discovery) would have us in a cooling cycle. Human actvity has messed up natural cycles.

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/env...kovitch-cycles

Quote:
During the initial discovery period of global climate change, the magnitude of the influence of the Sun on Earth's climate was not well understood. Since the early 1990s, however, extensive research was put into determining what role, if any, the Sun has in global warming or climate change.

A recent review paper, put together by both solar and climate scientists, details these studies: Solar Influences on Climate. Their bottom line: though the Sun may play some small role, "it is nevertheless much smaller than the estimated radiative forcing due to anthropogenic changes." That is, human activities are the primary factor in global climate change.
Global Warming -- Research Issues

BTW - The ancients also subscribed to the Ptolemaic universe.
Old 21-12-2017, 13:39   #219

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Your YouTube guy is rather ignorant.

Al Gore's ocean front home is 500 feet above sea level and at least 2.5 miles from shore.

Al Gore's house in Montecito, CA (Google Maps) (#3) - Virtual Globetrotting
... And in a region susceptible to wildfires.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ecito-51833483

Which are only going to get worse according to Al Gore...

http://www.newsweek.com/global-warmi...re-says-685257

https://mobile.twitter.com/algore/st...33681537675264
Old 21-12-2017, 14:46   #220

Quote:

OK - but I do not get my climate change science from Al Gore. I am just amused by the stupidity of those who post about his seaside mansion.
Old 29-12-2017, 05:56   #221

Those interested in polar voyages might enjoy following Randall Reeves, on S/V Moli. He left San Francisco this past October, with the goal of making a solo figure-eight circumnavigation of the Americas and Antarctica. His anticipated route is south from San Francisco to Cape Horn, east to South Africa, Tasmania, and back to Cape Horn. North up the Atlantic to Greenland, then west through the Northwest Passage during the northern summer of 2018, and back to San Francisco.

He currently is in the Beagle Channel, Chile/Argentina, waiting for his wife to arrive with repair parts for his autopilot and Monitor Windvane. They were both damaged in storms off the Chilean coast.

His blog is at Blog – The Figure 8 Voyage

Old 29-12-2017, 21:59   #222

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well, since 'up' is strictly arbitrary, universally spatially speaking, to make a figure 8 I think he'd have to do it this way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1up.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	161241  
Old 02-02-2018, 09:12   #223

2017 Yachtsmen Routing Guide to Northwest Passage for safe/unsafe anchorage/shelter, 4th Edition

Quote:
"In those Northwest voyages where navigation must be executed in most Exquisite Sort" (John Davis, 1594)

This Yacht Routing Guide to the Northwest Passage, by Victor Wejer, is a compilation of further port and anchorage information which will be updated annually. The RCC Pilotage Foundation is very pleased to be able to make this guide available to you via a download from the RCCPF website. However, the RCCPF has had no part in the production of this guide and accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained within.

CAUTION
This guide contains selected information and thus is not definitive. It does not contain all known information on the subject in hand and should not be relied on alone for navigational use; it should only be used in conjunction with official hydrographical data. This is particularly relevant to the plans, which should not be used for navigation. The information provided in this guide may be out of date and may be changed or updated without notice. The RCC Pilotage Foundation cannot accept any liability for any error, omission or failure to update such information. To the extent permitted by law, the RCC Pilotage Foundation does not accept liability for any loss and/or damage.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:46   #224

I am re-posting the above as the first entry in a new thread Northwest Passage - 2018
Closed Thread

Tags
passage