Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 00:14   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Onboard Heat for Northern Climes

Oh no, another non vented/vented debate....
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 00:23   #62

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
DeepFrz, if you pore through the
Refleks website you will find 1&2 burner diesel stoves that are not vented.
They operate on the same principle as their heaters, but are for cooking only, not heating.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 00:33   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, perhaps you could give me a url to look at because every Refleks diesel heater, cooker, oven, everyone, is vented out a chimney. So if you can point me to one that is not I will have learned something.
Old 15-12-2012, 05:24   #64

Boat: Skookum 53'

I was not familiar with the Dickinson Newport, the propane heaters that I use in my house are vented and draw the combustion air from the outside and no moisture issues, in fact there is a tray to keep water in to humidify the heated air. One other issue with propane is, you only get half the BTUs per gallon that you do with diesel. FWIW, I am at 59* N, so have a keen interest in proper heat. We have coal that washes up on the beaches here, however it is very soft and makes a really nasty smell when burned, lots of ash, not suitable.
Old 15-12-2012, 05:32   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
If the combustion gas is vented outside it does not add humidity. The Newport he is talking about is vented outside. A Mr. Heater is not vented and will increase humidity.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters-_-Propane-_-173690&ci_sku=173690&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gc lid=CICYpZ_5m7QCFWrZQgodSUYA9g

If you use cabin air for combustion you will dry out the boat more as you will cause outside air which is cold and therefore has less water in it to enter the cabin. As that air heats up its relative humidity decreases.

You can't use cabin air for combustion anymore as everybody now knows this always causes instant death. (snide remark in case anyone missed it)

John
I don't think the use of cabin air to feed combustion - as opposed to dumping combustion products into the cabin air - has even been discussed.

I don't see anything wrong with it. You lose heat, but increase air circulation.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 08:20   #66

DeepFrz, I stand corrected. Looking at the 70m and 71m cookers in the catalog. The line drawing for the single burner shows a stack connection on the rear...I learned something new today!
Old 15-12-2012, 08:57   #67

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
The cheapest is a blanket, sleeping bag, a good hat, and a jacket. Maybe even an electric blanket if it is really cold.
The main problemwith this approach is moisture. Heat plus proper ventilation keeps the internal rain and black mold at bay
Old 15-12-2012, 09:54   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailormantx, can you just imagine what the inside of a boat, never mind your lungs, would look like with a non vented diesel heater? It would be kind of like breathing the output of the stack of a big rig semi.
Old 15-12-2012, 10:30   #69

Boat: 95' gaff topsail ketch

We have a Dickinson Beaufort (large) galley stove onboard our vessel which burns diesel or K1, ours is regulated for K1. It is on 15 hrs a day for 4 months of the year. It has been our galley companion for 26 loyal years. The stove has not been with out occasional problems, usually related to fuel issues (water) or draft. We find it necessary to run the small 12volt fan that the stove is equipped with to assist with the draft while the stove is on, not just during the lighting process. Soot bunnies are the horror of poor combustion and can be a tough clean up. Fortunately the attack of the soot bunnies is not frequent.
The stove puts out dry heat, heats our hot water, operates while underway and cooks great meals.
Dickinson makes other stoves and heaters that are smaller than the Beaufort that operate on the same principle. Draft of the chimney is critical for clean operation, the stove is easy to repair... fuel filters, spare fan, spare control valve should cover it.
Can't think of any other stove I would want aboard.
tanbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 15:09   #70

Boat: '72 Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Nonsense...diesel heaters, cook stoves and ovens are all vented outside, at least every one that I have seen. They put out as dry a heat as any coal or wood stove. Most of the humidity in a boat comes from propane stoves (cooking), showers and us. And it is probably us that puts the most humidity into the inside of a boat.
We light our cabin heater to get rid of the chill and damp and it works amazingly.
Fenchurch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 20:09   #71

DeepFrz, no need to imagine, I had an exhaust leak on my last boat and it made a huge mess in the few hours it took me to find someplace to stop and make repairs.

In my Bristol I had kerosene stove and heater; people always commented that I smelled of kerosene. On this boat I put in a Refleks heater and use it often. There is no fuel odor and maintenance is is minimal. It also really dries out the boat very well, I can take a steaming hot shower and within 30 minutes the boat and my towel are as dry as if the shower had not been used. Even the woodwork starts shrinking if it is on for more than 2 days.