Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 11:15   #16

Boat: 29 ft
Re: Southern Ocean Russian paper chart

You can also try this company https://www.seekarte.de/kontakt.htm - charts are their profession.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 00:53   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

GSuaria I would be staying away from guys carrying umbrellas for a while as well.
Seriously I didn't realise taking photos on a ships bridge was a thing? I knew a few trawler skippers that would think nothing of throwing you over the side for taking pictures like that.
Cheers
https://www.theguardian.com/world/fr...la-london-1978
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:03   #18

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
GSuaria I would be staying away from guys carrying umbrellas for a while as well.
Seriously I didn't realise taking photos on a ships bridge was a thing? I knew a few trawler skippers that would think nothing of throwing you over the side for taking pictures like that.
Cheers
https://www.theguardian.com/world/fr...la-london-1978
I hope you guys are kidding...I work on research cruises and have been taking thousands of pictures on board research vessels and spending countless hours on navigation bridges of ships of all kinds and of all nationalities, nothing secret or dangerous about that. It's just a nautical chart of the Southern Ocean guys...i think you're all getting a bit too much paranoid about it...looks like the anti-Russian propaganda is doing its job just fine down there in AUS....
GSuaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:13   #19

Someones been "Putin" the word round that the Russians want to mine it.. They are not BUK 'n at any others concerns. Shall I continue...?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:24   #20

Boat: Volkscruiser

That surprises me I never would be taking photos on any ships bridge. A small charter boat skipper I know gets real pissed when he catches guests onboard trying to save the coordinates of his favourite fishing spots. Research ships must be different, certainly I wouldn't want you on my boat if I found Atlantis.
On some industrial sites I have worked on, you sign confidentiality agreements, are not allowed photography and they monitor social media to make sure the project is being kept quiet.
As for Russian Paranoia, LOL who knows in todays world what is real and fake news.
Cheers
https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/flo...d-by-mermaids/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:42   #21

Well scientific research is different, in the way that profit is generally not involved (if you work for universities and academic institutions, such as the one managing the ship), there are no secrets, and actually, science should always be as open and transparent as possible... but I can understand if "secret" fishing spots are involved, but that is just a planning chart of the Southern Ocean guys...it was a scientific cruise, and we were not looking for oil fields, deep-sea minerals or sunken treasures...Just studying "worthless" oceanography, climate change, and plastic pollution...

Anyway, i seriously think that misinformation and fake news about Russia are a big thing, especially in US and AUS...not such a big thing here in EU...i think that people should stop blaming Russians as the bad guys, and be a bit more critical about the disproportionate political and economic power of large corporations in the Western world ... But this is politics...and i was just looking for a nice nautical chart of Antarctica to hang in my boat...
Old 06-07-2021, 02:33   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSuaria View Post
.and i was just looking for a nice nautical chart of Antarctica to hang in my boat...
So why does it have to be in Russian, what's wrong with the equivalent Admiralty or NGA versions? Do you read Cyrillic?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
So why does it have to be in Russian, what's wrong with the equivalent Admiralty or NGA versions? Do you read Cyrillic?
I was on that ice-breaker for 5 months and we did a complete circumnavigation of the Antarctic Continent stopping in a dozen of antarctic and sub-antarctic islands. It was the experience of a lifetime, and now I would like to retrieve that map to plot the route we did. And yes, i'd like to have it in Russian, since ship and crew were all Russians...and i have some very good memories of them
Old 06-07-2021, 03:19   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Southern Ocean Russian paper chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSuaria View Post
I was on that ice-breaker for 5 months and we did a complete circumnavigation of the Antarctic Continent stopping in a dozen of antarctic and sub-antarctic islands. It was the experience of a lifetime, and now I would like to retrieve that map to plot the route we did. And yes, i'd like to have it in Russian, since ship and crew were all Russians...and i have some very good memories of them
Understandable.. hope you manage to get hold of one..
Have you no contacts with any of those people anymore.??

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Understandable.. hope you manage to get hold of one..
Have you no contacts with any of those people anymore.??
Thanks @boatman61, yes i tried that already, but the crew guys have no idea and as far as i know, the captain and most deck officers have all changed ship since then.

Anyway, i'll leave this post here..in the hope that some Russian sailors will pass by sooner or later

Tags
antarctic, antarctica, planning chart, Russia, southern ocean