Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21   #1

'06 Hunter or '88 Brewer 44

Thanks for all your help in deciding between the Brewer and Gulfstar.

I am down to my last two and that is a newer Hunter 41 and a 1988 Brewer 44. Both are in excellent condition with almost identical electronics. The brewer of course has better tankage and is cutter rigged even though the current owner is sailing it as a mast head sloop.

As mentioned before I will be mostly a coastal and island cruiser, live aboard, with the occasional trip to mexico and possibly up the west coast.

The hunter sailplan seems simpler and faster, more liveaboard friendly. Will the cutter design be an issue for me? Will I lose my upwind performance? Will I really need the cutter and heavier displacement if long passages are not in my plans?
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: '06 Hunter or '88 Brewer 44

Those are two very different boats, and the rig is only part of it. The Brewer is a center-cockpit boat while the Hunter is aft cockpit. And they are significantly different below the waterline.

When you sail a cutter as a sloop there's really not much difference in upwind performance. However, the Hunter's hull design will probably help it point a few degrees higher than the Brewer.

Any chance you can sail these boats? You might tell the owners the honest truth, that you've narrowed your search down to two boats, and that you've been advised to take each one out for a sail to determine which one you're going to fall in love with.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:33   #3

Are they really nearly identical in perceived value to you? What is the condition of the respective engines and sail inventories?

If they truly are that similar in value, I would lean toward the Brewer, because it offers better offshore capability than the Hunter. Even if you plan to do only coastal cruising and island hopping, I'd be very surprised if sometime down the road, an offshore voyage did not become something you'd like to do.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I would lean toward the Brewer, because it offers better offshore capability than the Hunter.

and here we go again.... where is the information comming from that would back the statement you made here..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Well, the Brewer probably has the better warranty...

....oh, snap.

Seriously, I don't understand the question, as they are chalk and cheese to me. It's like "do I need a Hummer to go to the corner shop, or should I take a Toyota Echo on the Paris-Dakar?"

I would pick the Brewer for "Alaska to Mexico", because that implies 4,000 miles (or whatever!) of lee shore and plenty of long haul, offshore stuff, for which you'd want the seakeeping, cutaway forefoot, skeg hungness of the Brewer.

For SOG, pointing and style, and with no more than a week between harbours, I would favour the Hunter.

For the record, I own a steel boat much like a Brewer and a fibreglass racer-cruiser not unlike a Hunter. Which one I prefer depends very much on the nature, duration and purpose of the trip contemplated.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
and here we go again.... where is the information comming from that would back the statement you made here..
It's my OPINION.. Based on, among other things the fact that the Brewer has more displacement, and probably offers a more comfortable ride at sea.. Plus the fact that tne tankage is better.

Apparantly you think I am biased against Hunters? I don't believe I am.
But I do believe the Brewer is a better offshore boat in this comparison.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00   #7

Opinions welcome! geez....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance835 View Post
The hunter sailplan seems simpler and faster, more liveaboard friendly. Will the cutter design be an issue for me? Will I lose my upwind performance? Will I really need the cutter and heavier displacement if long passages are not in my plans?
Upwind performance? You're going cruising!! I'd go with the Brewer. Even though it's an 88 it'll hold it's price better when you eventually sell. I seriously don't think the boats will be equal as far as condition goes so you really have to check them out closely. If the Brewer surveys ok go with the Brewer.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Brewer. Not close.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 13:04   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I made the trip from SF to Kodiak and back a few years ago.. Going up it was harbor hopping and sight seeing, but on the way back down, the wife drove the jeep and I brought the boat down..
And I was glad I had a boat that would give me good performance and a great ride, There are times when you just want to lolly gag around but in the north west, S**t happens fast, and getting caught in it is not fun..
I for one would opt for the hunter and the performance it delivers..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:16   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

If you had read the forum longer enough you would already know which way the answers would go.

It's going to be your boat so get the boat you like, not what CF members say.
Old 04-05-2012, 17:11   #12

Boat: 34 Irwin
As a former travelift oper. I never had a brewer oil can on me, can't say that about hunters. I could put the entire weight of a brewer on it keel, hunter if I did that the keel would flex into the bottom.
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter