Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 07:21   #46

Re: $100,000 to put in a money pit

As you get to know boats you’ll probably figure out the rules about “investing” in boats. A $1 invested typically increases the value by $0.10. So do all the manual maintenance you can but be judicious about what capital you put in. The other implication is that often the best boat to buy is NOT a fixer upper but rather the one that was just fixed up. When you start looking for your “forever” boat the ideal one will be the one someone has just prepared for a circumnavigation or major cruise and then had to change their plans...These boats are not that common but worth looking for and waiting for. They are rare but do come available with some regularity. Unfortunately the demographics are such that for many people when they have the time and money to get ready to go cruising corresponds with other life events, e.g. health issues of self or loved ones, start to get more common.
Best of luck with your adventures.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:43   #47

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
Never owned a boat but looking at getting a schooner, 32'-38', to use for single handing. I have $100,000 to spend on a used or new sail boat. I think I want a schooner 32'-38'.
Seems like you have found some direction, but then this just pops up on the forum and might be providence...

For Sale: Lazy Jack 32 Schooner 1975 - $27,900 Reduced/FIRM - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithasully View Post
First Time - Lazy Jack 32 Schooner - 1975 Reduced price $27,900 FIRM
Beautiful Classic Schooner
Built by Ted Hermann Company in New York
Designed by Ted Brewer
New Single Volvo Penta 55-D diesel engine installed 2010
New Sails in 2010
Exceptionally seaworthy and comfortable fiberglass boat set up for single handling.
Great Bahamas, Keys and Gulf boat with full keel that has 2'10" draft with centerboard up.
Major refit just finished.

My story: I spent 2-1/2 years refitting her - labor of love!
But just as we were leaving to go to the Bahamas I developed heart problems. Sadly selling her for someone else to complete their dreams.
I have reduced her price greatly because I need to sell her.

Located on Chicamauga Lake on Tennessee River just above Chattanooga, TN. You can have it shipped/trucked to your home or take the route I was going to take to the Bahamas via the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway to Mobile and the Gulf.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:25   #48

Boat: O'Day, 26, 25' 8"

You seem inexperienced. If so, get some with a sailing club, chartering course, crewing etc. before spending money on boat.
emenskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 11:43   #49

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

I second that - the Great Lakes are excellent bodies of water to learn on. I live in Rochester, NY and we get a lot wind on Lake Ontario. We have sailed a 30' catalina around the lake. We also have the Finger Lakes close by. My hubby and I are taking sailing lessons on Canandaigua Lake the first weekend in June. Only 4 to 5 people to a class. I am so excited.
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money