Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 19:12   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Sail Motor Boat

Unless this is a precious museum piece......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3282280B-64E6-43E3-9AA3-6B1B259E2B89.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	200457  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 19:29   #17

Boat: no boat any more

...in Germany such fibreglass sheathing is called “shroud“
the german word is very graphic & would translate into “corpse sheet“ (Leichentuch)
Old 23-09-2019, 19:53   #18

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat

Thank you for the interest and the opinions expressed, some encouraging and some returning me to that dark moment after having finished the 'read' of the survey report. Rather than describe the boat, perhaps if I direct you to the site where I found her.

https://boats-from-au.com/not-specif...at-1912-213446

I am from Sydney, Australia, living on the Hawkesbury River. The boat is 36' and I wanted to use her solely on the river. Not venturing out into the open. I don't have deep pockets, but was always prepared to invest some money to give her a longer floating life for my family and I. I would like to hope I can get up to 5 years or more of boating from her, but I don't know if that is realistic.

The Surveyor did say that it was his responsibility to highlight these things in case the boat sank, and so I'm not quite sure, if that meant, she is 100% not use-able or if he was expected to say that as a forewarning in case it did. With pen in hand and scribbling his notes, he was very quickly turning into the grim reaper.

I'm not sure if this is permissible, but I am ok to share the Surveyors report after redacting the Surveyors details first.

Really appreciate the comments, in them, I have found many to shine a light of hope ... and others perhaps a thumping of reality.
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 23:45   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...in Germany such fibreglass sheathing is called “shroud“
the german word is very graphic & would translate into “corpse sheet“ (Leichentuch)
Oh this is so true.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 23:53   #20

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Also of interest on YouTube would be Acorn to Arabella. Although they're building a new boat they do in the middle buy an old wooden boat and strip it. They got a heap of useful timber and fittings, but it was a fairly nice boat to start with, and quite original. The dismantling showed how terminal everything out of sight had got. In the end the hull and keel timbers just fell apart once the interior had been removed.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 23:54   #21

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat

Hi all, I have posted a reply, however it appears my post has been directed for moderator approval. I'm thinking it might be the URL link I placed in there showing the details of the boat in question.
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 00:06   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ looking forward to seeing the link (hurry up mods )!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 03:08   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^ looking forward to seeing the link (hurry up mods )!
Sorry, busy cooking sausages for breakfast and a cup of tea of course
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 06:04   #24
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonut View Post

I'm not sure if this is permissible, but I am ok to share the Surveyors report after redacting the Surveyors details first.

AFAIK, if you paid for the survey, it is yours and you can do whatever you want with it.

FWIW, from the link, it looks nice!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 08:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sorry, busy cooking sausages for breakfast and a cup of tea of course

Don't you mean bangers and a cuppa?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 08:55   #26

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I believe wooden boats are beautiful, and have a very unique character. The only downside is the ongoing maintenance is substantial, and fundamentally required. If it wasn't - I'd have one instead of fiberglass - in a second. I give enormous well earned credit to anyone who undertakes it - they are a special breed in this day and age. Back when every minute of the day wasn't pulled in 2 different directions, it was just part of the routine. Now, it's just been prioritized down for most people when looking at boats - it's good some people still undertake it.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 09:02   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Kokonut,

The formal survey could be useful but rereading your original post, depending on the extent of the issues you mention, several of those could most definitely sink a boat.

More comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonut View Post

I am from Sydney, Australia, living on the Hawkesbury River. The boat is 36' and I wanted to use her solely on the river. Not venturing out into the open. I don't have deep pockets, but was always prepared to invest some money to give her a longer floating life for my family and I. I would like to hope I can get up to 5 years or more of boating from her, but I don't know if that is realistic.

Again, it depends very much on the extent of the problems you reported. Wood turned to cornflakes, if just a couple of centimeters and not in a critical location, cut out and fill with epoxy and you're good for a few years.

"Some of the planking not fastened to the frame." This could be localized and fixable by adding a few new fasteners (bronze, do NOT use stainless steel scews below the waterline in a wood boat) but that could also be indicative of the fasteners all over the boat deteriorating requiring all to be redone. If that is the case you could spend a thousand or so just buying all the bronze screws you would need. Further, a boat that age might have been refastened already in the past which may leave very little room for adding yet another round of screws.

Bottom line, you absolutely could get five years or even 25 years more service from the boat but at what cost? My initial thought is it would be faster, easier and cheaper to do some wood repair than to glass the hull. Also if you do glass the hull you would still have to make underlying wood bits structurally sound so any place the planks are falling away or similar would have to be repaired to some degree. Unless you added many layers of glass, enough to make a new hull, just a layer or two would only reduce leaks from outside into the hull and contribute very little strength.

You really need to look more closely and confirm how far the damage extends. It could be OK or it could be a rightoff.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 09:50   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
No word from Kokonut yet, I wonder if he has just realised that he has purchased someones nightmare and now he has to dispose of her?
Cheers
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. I wonder if there is something in his area he could donate it to? Probably unlikely.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:58   #29

Boat: no boat any more

The phrase “to throw good money after bad“ seems to have been coined for such situations...
Old 24-09-2019, 11:24   #30

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

As you have already purchased the boat the question is can you repair it at reasonable cost. First thing to do is have the boat hauled for a hull inspection. Your expectations as far as use is reasonable, no offshore use. You do not mention your willingness or ability to work on the boat, an important factor. Can you find a woodworker in your area willing to work on the boat at a reasonable rate ? Can the boat be patched back together to last a few years of gentle use ? Yes, you could fiberglass below the waterline to achieve water tightness. Actually it looks like a pretty clean boat, only you can determine the answers to the questions I pose, only you can determine if it is worth the costs. Good luck !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, motor, sail