Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 00:13   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur
1973 32' Irwin Center Cockpit Sailboat

1973 32' Irwin Center Cockpit Sailboat

Could I have some opinions please. Fiancee believes she may consider this one as it has an aft berth and may agree to me putting in a minimum offer.
I have some reservations but will be happy with guidance and hopefully someone owns one and has something good to say about it.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Good boat. Has some problems... that $4000 estimate for cushions is realistic, but it's up to you if you can deal with some kind of alternative (like outdoor furniture cushions) for a while ($4k is a LOT to save up for a comfort item).

The deck work is not too difficult but it sounds like its more than just a few soft spots. probably needs significant deck repair.

The engine probably has more problems than she is indicating as well...

It does sound like a hard luck case though, boyfriend gone now she has a boat she doesn't know what to do with... it's easily worth $5k with the current problems, could easily put $10k into it, over time...

The irwins are usually good boats, good and bad reviews suggest they had inconsistent build qualities, so there is a lot too look at when buying one. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen. If you go see it and you feel you can take on the project, it's probably worth putting the money into and turning it into a serious cruising boat.

Personally, I'm not a fan of center cockpits on a boat that small, it takes a lot out of the living space, but you'll know when you see it if its an issue for you or not.

Here is another you might want to consider, fresh on the market, freaking beautiful... I just saw it this morning and dropped my jaw If I didn't already have a boat, and I was looking for a bit of a project.... 1978 Cheoy Lee Richards Offshore 32 sailboat for sale in Florida
not trying to take away from the Irwin discussion. just throwing out an alternative option.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29   #3

Thanks for the input and the link. That Cheoy lee is a sweet boat and much more suitable I think.
The Irwin I believe has been sat at that dock as a liveaboard for a good while . Hence the large power dependent equipment and a dodgy engine. Plus the lack of work on the hull etc. The stantion leaks seem a common theme on Irwin boats. My other concern was I couldn't match up the year and spec to anything on the Irwin database so some measurement somewhere is off. I would think parting it out would bring her 5k.
More importantly though, my fiancee for the first time, suggested I make the bid on the Irwin. For me that was the most important breakthrough and I can thank the Irwin for that. Now all I have to do is explain why the Cheoy Lee is the better option and get her ready for a shot at a price on that one.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01   #4

Any chance you can go see the Irwin before the auction ends?

Seeing it is really important. Pictures just never tell the whole story, even with size and comfort, not just condition...

Irwin made some great boats, but they need to be thoroughly inspected.

I don't want you to think I was suggesting you should choose the Choey Lee over the Irwin, it was just pointing out there are other options. The Cheoy Lee is a really great boat, but it would need the entire deck redone.. Personally I'd rather be doing deck work than sewing dodgers and cushions, but that's just me Either way, it's a lot of work and a lot of money needs to go into either boat.

The Irwin could be just what you're looking for, but I can't emphasize enough the need to go see it. Ebay has a way of causing a sense of urgency and fouling up your logic circuits....
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08   #5

I'm pretty sure this is the model.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13   #6

No I wasn't thinking you were pushing me to the Cheoy Lee LOL, It's a make I have always fancied and never seen so affordable.
Would love to get over and see the Irwin if only to increase her love of the idea. Sadly last night we got a family serious illness type phone call and have to rush down to NC for a while so everything is on hold.
For me at the momenet the Cheoy Lee gets it, but time will tell
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the model.

Yup thats the closest I could find last night
Old 06-02-2011, 06:10   #8

Still only one bid in... is that yours?
Old 07-02-2011, 16:03   #9

Nope we missed out on that one. Stuck in NC playing nurse. Went for a decent price too. Hope the new owner has a lot of fun on her.
Never heard bk from the Cheoy lee so I guess that's gone. Still looking and got a hot tip from Neal Carter for one in Annapolis area. I'll be sorted soon enough I'm sure. If only people selling would answer phones ans emails lol life would be so much easier.

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, Irwin, sailboat