Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 00:57   #16

1973 Catalina 27' and green skipper: Florida to Trinidad?

I've been following this post the last few days and its pretty interesting because I just came out of a San Juan 7.7 and bought an 84 Catalina 27! I'm a young guy of 27 with a good career but if something happens I can pretty much guarantee I'll take a year or two and do the same thing! I'm toying with the idea of situating mine as a (weekend)live aboard just to familiarize myself with the systems and what not and also to make sure I can do it. I have shore power at my club in the slips but I can moor it for less money and it will be more realistic but we will see which route I end up going with... And to the OP, good luck and keep me posted!
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:45   #17

Boat: Catalina 30
True about the crew. Of course that is the reason we are selling our 27 and are refitting a 30. Over the last year spent about a month out on our 27 with the longest spell being 2 weeks, the boat gets real small with provisions and all aboard.
Now that she is for sale we took most of our gear, tools and stuff off and she now sits over an inch higher in the water.
Old 13-01-2014, 17:53   #18

Boat: Looking for the next one :)
Re: 1973 Catalina 27' and green skipper: Florida to Trinidad?

I'm sure lots of people love their composting heads, but I can't stand them. I was living on my boat for a few months and had a composting head and it was a constant misery.

I can see it working great for someone that only visits their boat once or twice a month but if you live aboard it can't compost as fast as you putting stuff into it :P.
Even with all the peat moss it pretty much ends up being the same (smelling) as pooping into a five gallon bucker with no lid and leaving in your boat.
Also you'll be emptying the piss pot (and I had the special larger one) every day or two and you'll have to clean it with bleach or else it'll stink to high heavens.

While I was living aboard I would've given anything to have a holding tank and seen as how your planning on doing alot of off shore sailing emptying it won't be a problem... but emptying a composter will be a shi**y situation every time.
IreCraEra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, florida, skipper