Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2008, 06:50   #16

Engine: $25k
Hull and Deck paint: $50k
New sails: $30k
Rotten core repair: $85/sq ft or ~$15k
New Standing rigging: $15k
New interior items $10k
New rudder: $5k trust me..
Transport: $15k
New canvas; $10k
Boat: $45k

So we are up to $205k and I am sure the ever popular "misc." column would add another $30k or so.

Maybe a nice new 46 foot Bene for the same price?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 06:57   #17
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
New interior items $10k
New canvas; $10k

So we are up to $205k and I am sure the ever popular "misc." column would add another $30k or so.

Maybe a nice new 46 foot Bene for the same price?
While not out of the realm of possibilities, this does seem to be a little overstated. But the point is that you don't know if you don't personally inspect and have a survey.

Don't necessarily let this one get away, just view it like any other sale. Go look at it, inspect, and then if you like, make a low ball offer contingent on a survey.

But I must say, that is one massive rudder! WOw!
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 07:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
While not out of the realm of possibilities, this does seem to be a little overstated. But the point is that you don't know if you don't personally inspect and have a survey.

Don't necessarily let this one get away, just view it like any other sale. Go look at it, inspect, and then if you like, make a low ball offer contingent on a survey.

But I must say, that is one massive rudder! WOw!
We've recently completed a refit of a 1974 C&C 61 and the boat next to us was an OI 51, that never made it into the water in 7 years.

I'm pretty confident in my numbers.

Old 16-05-2008, 07:41   #19
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Joli, 50K for paint! what sort of paint are you using? ,recently helped spray a 40 foot Adams {Steel} under the supervision of a professional for $16000 Aust dollars the whole boat ,and $2700 of that was haulout fees .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 08:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Joli, 50K for paint! what sort of paint are you using? ,recently helped spray a 40 foot Adams {Steel} under the supervision of a professional for $16000 Aust dollars the whole boat ,and $2700 of that was haulout fees .
Our hull, deck, and spar stripped, faired, and professionally painted was $70k US. Come to the US and you will pay on the average $500/foot for a deck, $150/foot for a hull, and $100/foot for a spar. The paint for all was Awlcraft with clear. 6 guys working 4 months fulltime to bring a 34 year old hull back but we think it was worth it. We like the boat and are carefull to avoid scratching it.
Old 16-05-2008, 09:50   #21
jzk

Quote:
Our hull, deck, and spar stripped, faired, and professionally painted was $70k US. Come to the US and you will pay on the average $500/foot for a deck, $150/foot for a hull, and $100/foot for a spar. The paint for all was Awlcraft with clear. 6 guys working 4 months fulltime to bring a 34 year old hull back but we think it was worth it. We like the boat and are carefull to avoid scratching it.
Joli,

Your boat is beautiful and certainly warrants the top shelf level of investment that you made.

I don't think the Morgan would warrant such. There is only so "nice" you can make a boat with lines like that. So, if you were going to paint, it would be the do-it-yourself awlgrip with a roller and feathered with a nice brush.

And, the Morgan may very well require the items you listed, but you can't tell from the picture which is why everyone recommends an inspection and survey. Just because the Morgan that was next to you required such doesn't mean this one does or doesn't.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 10:23   #22
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Joli ,let me get this right before you scare all us Aussies away from coming over your way, you said $50k for paint but you have now uped it to $70k including fairing .My maths is that with 6 guys working 7 hour days {full time} over 4 months 16.8 weeks it took ...3,528 man hours to paint your boat ! ,Thank goodness you did not have to do it yourself by my calculations it would have taken you over 2 years. Please for all of us you need to justify these figures and give a little more info.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 11:14   #23

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybug View Post
Well the decision has been made: Too much of a risk purchasing a boat unseen. My husband & I sat down last night and discussed it at length. Together we decided that we didnt like the feeling of being rushed OR buying a boat unseen. What we needed was some one on one face time to discuss it.

Yes, I agree: You are confused. I would also add you are consumed with passion. A rather unsteady combination, no? Take a cold shower.

No, do not buy the boat unseen. In fact, dont even buy the boat after you have seen it. Your thinking is clouded right now.

Michael, I wouldnt say that our judgement is clouded, after all we didnt buy it.
We just like having input. We've been looking for over a year now....it's an exciting venture, but sometimes we both wish that we would find "the one".

I thoroughly appreciate everyone's opinion. I will be a lot more lax in the future when it comes to posting..I promise.

Thanks again!!
Jen
hello Jen
I am not sure what you mean by being "lax" -- but if "lax" means being more careful about posting questions here AND my straightforward admonition / slap in any way contributed to you being hesitant to post in the furture, then I apologize. There is much good information here and wonderful opinions and suggestions.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 12:33   #24

Boat: Pearson 31-2
I'm no expert, but I have gone to look at quite a few boats in the last year and I completelt agree with Hampus. Every time, the pictures were FAR better than the boat.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 16:01   #25

Quote:
New interior items $10k
New canvas; $10k

It can be done much cheaper. Sanding and doing basic paint prep is not rocket science and for anyone willing or able to put some sweat into it the costs are not so unreasonable.

Over 3000 man hours to paint the hull, deck and spars is FAR more man hours than were likely used to construct the entire boat.

YMMV

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan