Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 13:35   #1

1978 28' Islander Thoughts?

I am looking at purchasing a 1978 28' Islander Sloop.

I realize that this is an old boat but it fits the budget.

My plan is to use it to sail the Great Lakes and then to motor down the Mississippi and over to the Bahamas.

Is this a bad idea? Should I wait until I can afford something newer, bigger?
jdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:52   #2

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: 1978 28' Islander Thoughts?

Greetings and welcome:
The boat is fine in general. The cruise sounds like fun. My family had similar sized boats and used them for similar purposes. The big considerations are first: is the boat sufficiently well cared for that condition will not delay you? And second: do you fit on board?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/islander-28

Another big consideration is motoring a long way down to the coast. That's about as dull as it gets. I bet that if you add up the costs in fuel, food, mooring/dockage and maintenance you'll find it is cheaper to truck the boat to South Florida.

I like small cruisers for a lot of reasons. Mostly because I have done too much work delivering and working on the big fashionable sailing yachts of today. With a small boat you focus on where you are and what's outside rather than on-board
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:14   #3

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

When you say "I" are you going alone? If so, get yourself a couple autopilots for when under power and a wind vane for when sailing. An advantage to a small boat (roughly under 35 feet and 10,000 pounds displacement) is you can upsize your gear without breaking the bank.

Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:47   #4

Boat: SUN MAID 20

Looks great. Just be aware, when cruising you want everything to work properly. That can add up to a lot on an old boat. so price that in. Work out what you need , what you don't need, & price that in.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 12:28   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid View Post
I am looking at purchasing a 1978 28' Islander Sloop.

I realize that this is an old boat but it fits the budget.

My plan is to use it to sail the Great Lakes and then to motor down the Mississippi and over to the Bahamas.

Is this a bad idea? Should I wait until I can afford something newer, bigger?
The boat sounds fine - just make sure it's got a damned good engine as things can get pretty dicey on the Mississippi with all the commercial traffic, even going downstream.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 12:49   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I was given one of these boats. I liked it, sailed well and was enjoyable. Is it big enough? Depends on you really. Back in the 70's the "average" size cruising boat for a family of 4 was 27'.

At just over 6' with some mobility issues it would not suit me. I need standing headroom in my boat. Then again, Webb Chiles is over 70 and circumnavigating in a Moore 24 so.. If you like the layout and can see yourself on it, go for it.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 13:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Ditto on the engine being in good shape, preferably a diesel though inboard gas will work. Seems like you'd be able to sail down the Mississippi with a nice current pushing you for respectable day light daily runs. No experience with the River but ICW is a challenge at night that WILL require kedging off expertise after running aground if you try and run at night. Assume you'd be able to anchor out of the barge channel to save on marina costs.

The Islander 28's are good boats, supposedly one of Perry's favorite designs. Would have bought one that I would've have had to deliver from SF to SoCal if the engine hadn't been questionable. Fuel capacity will be an issue though a few Gerry jugs will greatly extend the range. 28' boat will be a tight squeeze accommodation wise for more than a very close couple but have gotten along nicely solo on my 28' sailboat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 13:27   #8

I like that particular time period from Islander. That one is a Bob Perry design too. As mentioned, have a good engine. Sure, 28 ft in the Bahamas is great. Longer waterline on those than some old boats too so that's like having a bigger boat.
If you can find the next size up in that time frame/series, 32 I think? It's a very similar boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 18:19   #9

Stay off of the ms and enjoy a trip down then TN and Tombigbe.
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 15:37   #10

I have owned an I-28 in S.F. Bay for 30 years. Raced it and day sailed mostly. Took her down the coast to Monterey, Carmel & Big Sur a few times. The original 1976 Volvo MD6B still fires on the 1st turn but being fresh water cooled has caused the cooling passages in the lower block to become partially blocked. I run here at 2000 rpm and she goes forever...but the tank is just a 20 gallon capacity. I'm 6'3" and barely bend my head at anchor...not at all with a moderate heel. The starboard settee folds out to a nice double or either side is a great sea berth with a leecloth. The v-berth is decent and there is an aft starboard berth I use for stowage. Engine access is either behind the removable salon stairs or by hopping into the cockpit locker. You have to be a bit of a contortionist to replace the water impeller but it's doable. She has a nice long cockpit with a foldable swim ladder through the aft stanchions. The main traveler is forward of the hatch but close enough that you can have a hand on both the tiller and mainsheet. I use a tiller autopilot when singlehanding.
The galley has a two burner alcohol stove that I replaced with a portable propane model. The head is tight but functional. The icebox is huge.
If I were undertaking your proposed voyage my wish list would include (besides a new engine) a cockpit bimini, solar panels, refrigeration, water heating, a propane stove and locker and a bow roller and windlass.
She draws 5.5' which might be a consideration in the Bahamas. Even without all those improvements, I love her.
I wish you well in your boat search...everything is a compromise so don't spend too much of your valuable cruising time searching for a perfect boat.
Cheers
PatFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:23   #11

I forgot to include a shower & dodger in my wish list. As you have probably surmised, adding these items would cost more than your purchase price. Click image for larger version

Name:	109161330.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	235373
PatFryer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Islander