Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 14:02   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakno View Post
I have a 81 H27 that has been in my family since 1985. Out of all I read above, the only critism I would agree with is soft rudder and a somewhat light rig. The fiberglass throught is stiff and solid feeling , hull to deck joint no problem. We are presently looking at 32-41' boats and Hunter is at top of list.
I would not hesitate to agree. Hunters from the early 1990s to those contemporary models are all excellent boats, many of which are well-suited to offshore sailing. I think some are blinded by an old stereotype with a sprinkle of hearsay thrown in.

They are no more designed for marina life as any other comparable production boat manufacturer and are strikingly similar to the looks of Catalina, Benes etc., both in and out, have similar sized and quality ports and hatches for equivalent and effective ventilation, wide side decks, airy and are for the most part fractional rigged which has a number of advantages for the avg cruiser and racer.

I would be no more skeptical of an early vintage H and certainly not skeptical of a contemporary one as I would be for any other boat with uncertain maintenance history and without a thorough survey.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 19:49   #17

Boat: Pearson 323
This is not an 80's hunter

First, let me state that I grew up on the water and on all types of boats for most of my life. I know that in the 80's many production boats had construction defects. Even some of the commercial fishing vessels built during that period used short cuts and some bad designs. I've sailed single handed from Stonington CT to Saint Martinique in the mid 70's. Just because I haven't been sailing and cruising for several years doesn't mean I do not know what to look for in a boat.
Maybe some with money falling out their pockets can afford $125,000.00 for a blue water cruiser and think everyone else who cannot afford that should keep on land. I felt and watch the way those with more money than they know what to do with have tried to drive everyone else out. Caused prices to sky rocket and get everything for themselves exclusively. If this sounds like I am a bit pissed-I am. I am tired of being beaten down by a capitalist money grapping society. Granted not all people with money are bad but this country has its share of greedy egotistical hobnobs. As a photojournalist and Chairperson on Northeast AIM one quote I heard from wealthy power hungry people is: "He with the most gold rules."
The Hunter is not a blue water cruiser, but as stated previously I plan on sailing her coastal and maybe hop some of the islands. If I hadn’t had a good portion of my retirement stolen and been cheated out several years because they do not count holidays as time vested I’d have a blue water boat. As for this Hunter she is structurally fine. A bit tight but I will deal with that.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 11:04   #18

Boat: Hunter, 36
Re: 1980 Hunter 36 - Offshore Capable?

You have nothing to worry about going offshore with the 1980 Hunter 36. That is if she is found to be sound in deck and rig. I own a 1981 Hunter 36 and can vouch for its design and construction for offshore work. The ballast to displacement ratio is well within the range that is best for going offshore.
The newer Hunters don't carry as much ballast. I was looking for an offshore capable boat when I bought my Hunter 36 and it meets all the requirements.
I have sailed my boat offshore only a bit, but inshore or off, I feel totally confident in her behavior under sail and power. She handles well and in a blow she heels a bit, stands back up, digs in her shoulder and takes off into the wind.
starbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 06:44   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 1980 Hunter 36 - Offshore Capable?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, starbaby.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter