Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 16:22   #1

1981 Columbia 8.3

Hey all

I found a rare opportunity to buy a Columbia 8.3 with very little time it. This boat was literally only driven to church on Sunday's by a little old lady. The engine a 3 cylinder yanmer desiel only has 220hrs on it. Now it has been out of the water since the couple passed about 7 years ago. When they did sail it, thy only did so on weekend and only to one spot approx 16miles total trip. It was stored out side but covered but the mast was left up. It comes with main and jib, they are the original ones but have been stored indoors. The question is if I can this boat super cheep around $6000 is it worth it. I would of course get a survey done before purchase. What kind of cost would I be looking at to this boat going again. I can handle doing all the cosmetic work but when it comes to the more technical work I would have to hire some help.

Any help would be greatly appreaceted.
Tinman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:03   #2

Re: 1981 Columbaia 8.3

On closer inspection it seems to be a 8.7 not an 8.3
Tinman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:31   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman83
Hey all

I found a rare opportunity to buy a Columbia 8.3 with very little time it. This boat was literally only driven to church on Sunday's by a little old lady. The engine a 3 cylinder yanmer desiel only has 220hrs on it. Now it has been out of the water since the couple passed about 7 years ago. When they did sail it, thy only did so on weekend and only to one spot approx 16miles total trip. It was stored out side but covered but the mast was left up. It comes with main and jib, they are the original ones but have been stored indoors. The question is if I can this boat super cheep around $6000 is it worth it. I would of course get a survey done before purchase. What kind of cost would I be looking at to this boat going again. I can handle doing all the cosmetic work but when it comes to the more technical work I would have to hire some help.

Any help would be greatly appreaceted.
They are nice little boats. I almost bought one a few years back. Take a look at this site: http://www.thevirtualboatyard.com/. I am fairly certain Paul has an 8.7. Also check with the Columbia sailing yachts group on yahoo groups. It's a very helpful list. Perhaps they can advise areas to look at as possible known issues.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 14:38   #4

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers
Re: 1981 Columbia 8.3

Columbia's are awesome little boats but do get that survey done.

Make sure that special attention is paid to the transmission and seals on inspection.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 04:46   #5

Boat: Irwin 40

Any boat that has been sitting unused for awhile is likely to have issues with pumps and other equipment. Any electronics are likely to be outdated if they still work. That said these are simple boats and i am guessing not a lot of stuff to go wrong. Running rigging and perhaps standing rigging will likely need replacement. Like the others said a survey will let you know the condition and provide a list of things needing repair or replacement. From there you can make an educated judgment. Good luck
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 15:50   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Sailed an 8.7 for a few years including one trip to Bermuda and several ICW trips. I loved the boat and it sail well. Lots of room on the interior but not lots of storage space. Be sure and do a thorough check of the chainplates since this can be an issue with these boats. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 16:35   #7

Boat: Boatless

Tinman, I had a 8.7 Columbia. It was one of my favorite boats. Handled well in all kinds of weather. Never forget the time I was coming into Hilton Head. Squall came in. Couldn't see the markers till I got to them. I had her wide open doing almost 2 knots with a 3 cylinder universal 30hp. She got us to port. Damn good boat. One of those that I keep asking myself..."Why the hell did I sell that one?" That's a good price for that boat. Hope you get it! Cheers
neilsailingrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia