Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 06:06   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
1981 Niagara 35

There's a 1981 Niagara 35 nearby that looks to be a pretty nice and tough boat. It does have a cored hull though I believe.

Does anyone have knowledge of this boat? Any problems?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 06:29   #2

Re: 1981 Niagara 35

The Niagara 35 is a wonderful 35 footer and has a good history offshore. It has a cored hull but the builders knew what they were doing and few if any have had any problems.
Built by Hinterhoeller Yachts in Canada the 35 comes in 2 different layouts below and both work quite well although the last version with a V berth commands a higher price. I've always liked this boat and its proven itself many times in bluewater.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 07:19   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I had a N35 for several years and very much liked it. The two interiors are completely different and it is just a matter of which one you like. If it is a 1981 it is a Mark 1 which has a unique interior with the galley and head in the middle and accomodations fore and aft. There are various iterations of the forewardcabin. The original one only has storage bins and a workshop. Later ones had a kid sized v-berth and later a full v-berth. I think the original makes most sense for a couple cruising.

Haven't heard of many complaints about the cored hull since it was done properly. As with most boats of this age the cored deck can be a problem if not maintained properly.
Old 27-09-2013, 07:33   #4

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Some friends have an 86 Niagera 35 and love it. They have said it's a boat they trust to take them anywhere.

I think Hinterhoeller had some unique ideas that made the boat a lot more convenient and feel larger than it is.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 07:46   #5

The design was by Mark Ellis the same naval architect that designed the Nonsuch line of catboats. I like the very traditional topside design and the more modern underbody. I have sailed these boats quite a bit and really like them. One left Mexico for Hawaii and although a smaller boat than I was sailing was only a little over a day behind us when we arrived. If I`m asked to recommend 35 footers for offshore the first 2 on my list are the Pretorien and the Niagara.
Old 27-09-2013, 08:01   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Had Canadian friends who circumnavigated on one called Beau Maris, left Mexico in '87. Other friends had one called Saturna. No problems with either vessel. Saturna's voyage was out into the Pacific, then returned home to Canada.

Ann
Old 27-09-2013, 09:06   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

The N35 is the smallest boat which which I'm familiar that I would take offshore in confidence as a "couples cruiser". It has the same warning flags as any older boat (may need an extensive refit due to age of gear and so on), but in its basic qualities, it's a excellent choice. Me, I have a crew of three and needed more stowage, but I know a few couples who are very happy with them...including these two:

Five Years of SPAM! | The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 10:06   #8

Thanks for the input on the Niagara.

I'll be sailing solo. As an exracer (catamarans), I wouldn't want to put anyone in harm's way with my lack of offshore sailing experience.

The boat has been sitting in the water unused for a couple years:

Used 1981 Niagara 35, Norfolk,, Va - 23518 - BoatTrader.com
Old 27-09-2013, 11:07   #9

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks for the input on the Niagara. I'll be sailing solo. As an exracer (catamarans), I wouldn't want to put anyone in harm's way with my lack of offshore sailing experience. The boat has been sitting in the water unused for a couple years: Used 1981 Niagara 35, Norfolk,, Va - 23518 - BoatTrader.com
Do you know how to listen for soft spots in the deck? Take the handle of a screwdriver and tap you should here deep hollow thuds. If it sounds solid sounding (and not on a bulkhead) it is possible some wet core material. This is most common where equipment is mounted through the deck.

If you are satisfied and like the boat get a survey done (mechanical and structural) and watch it all. And note all surveyors are not created equally! Get some suggestions from local sailors.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Do you know how to listen for soft spots in the deck? Take the handle of a screwdriver and tap you should here deep hollow thuds. If it sounds solid sounding (and not on a bulkhead) it is possible some wet core material. This is most common where equipment is mounted through the deck.

If you are satisfied and like the boat get a survey done (mechanical and structural) and watch it all. And note all surveyors are not created equally! Get some suggestions from local sailors.
SC
I can recognize soft spots pretty well. After owning my 1974 Bristol 27 since June 2011 I have only found that the cockpit sole is a tad soft here and there. (it creaks at times in Winter) I have looked at several other boats and can usually find the soft spots rather quickly.

This Old Niagara looks to be well built. I was just a bit concerned about the cored hull even though all my catamarans had cored hulls. The most I ever paid for one of those new though was $10,700 for a NACRA F-17 in 2002.

I do have a Surveyor that I bother now and again about the boats I'm about to look at so I'll probably go with him. He has given me pretty good advice in the past.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:05   #11

I took a serious look at a Niagara towards the beginning of my boat search and though it ended up being just a bit smaller than I wanted to go, there was something about the interior that just felt "right" in a way that no other boat, then or since, matched. It just seemed to make sense somehow. I wish they built something similar at 40'. I would prefer a solid layup hull however.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 10:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
I took a serious look at a Niagara towards the beginning of my boat search and though it ended up being just a bit smaller than I wanted to go, there was something about the interior that just felt "right" in a way that no other boat, then or since, matched. It just seemed to make sense somehow. I wish they built something similar at 40'. I would prefer a solid layup hull however.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the cored hull too since the boat is so old 1981. Plus, It was in the yard recently. (last year) I asked the broker why and he said for a bottom job and some work on some thruhulls. It may be nothing though..I wonder if a surveyor can tell if the hull has moisture?

I did go by and look at the boat again yesterday. There are almost no gelcoat cracks on it at all and the chain plates are massive. Plus it has rod rigging.
Old 28-09-2013, 11:09   #13

Niagara also has a 42 footer but there are no deals on them. Rod rigging was standard on all the Niagara's as well as Valiant's I might add.
Old 28-09-2013, 15:39   #14

I've read very good things about them for many years, in addition to those comments posted here.

How many thru hulls can there be on a 35 foot boat? Engine raw water, sink outlets, shower sump, head inlet and transducers. If you're serious about the boat, then have them all redone with proper seacocks and you'll know for sure what condition they're in by the time you're done!

I know, I know, it's easy for ME to spend YOUR $$, but that's what I'd do if it was my boat.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 22:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Niagara also has a 42 footer but there are no deals on them. Rod rigging was standard on all the Niagara's as well as Valiant's I might add.
Son of a gun! Other than the cored hull, that looks like a nearly perfect boat for me. Unfortunately, there does seem to be some history of moisture intrusion in the hulls. It would seem almost inevitable eventually--like cored decks. But it's a way bigger deal in a hull.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote