Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 14:39   #16

Boat: Tartan 33
Re: 1985 Spindrift Pilothouse 43 - Looking for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Before you get ahead of yourself with adding a whole new very expensive system to the boat, how are the existing systems holding up? Its a 35+ year old boat with a 35+ year old engine with unknown hours, a 35+ yo mast, how old is the rigging? Sails? The ground tackle is very light for a 40,000+ heavy displacement cruiser.
Electronics are dated, hows the electrical? Hopefully thats been upgraded along the way.
You're probably looking at throwing $25k at it for refit before the 13k for bow thruster, and thats being very conservative. And not even considering the 35yo teak decks
If you're already worried about how much you can get rid of it for, maybe its not something you should get in first place!
Look at the boat i posted earlier, its newer, far better condition, the type of boat people dream about, a full keel heavy displacement bluewater cruiser that can take you anywhere in the world!
Its been for sale for 6 years!
Look at the hans christian listed in the boat for sale forum here, same thing been for sale 5 years.
You really need to love these boats because you're never gonna break even on them if you can even ever sell them at all.
The survey will tell but from what I can see:

1. Engine is in good condition. Looks clean. Run fine. 1300 hours only. I was planning good maintenance done by professional
2. Rigging is not new and will have to be changed before off-shore sailing. Seems good for the moment.
3. Yes. I was planning to replace the chain and also put a decent anchor (Mantus). Part of the initial refit.
4. Electronic is not new but works. That is the type of upgrade I want to do after 2 or 3 years before going offshore. For the next 2 or 3 years, there is enough electronics for our coastal program.
5. I was planning to do a hull bottom paint and takes care of the blisters. Was part of my first refit.
6. As a first refit I also was planning to do full maintenance of the teak, replace the cover of the companionway where there is apparently a small leak. This will be part of the original refit.
7. Bow thruster. I can use the boat and don't stress each weekend to get out of the marina. Initial Refit
8. Value. It is one of our biggest concerns. I think it is normal when you buy a boat. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing to do if we like the boat or not. I bought my IP 32 1 year and a half ago and sold it in one week 15k+ than the price I bought it. Other production boats go as well quite fast, particularly in the summertime. These boats do not sell fast. It is a problem and also an opportunity. I was thinking to do an offer of around 48K. I took as a base the price of the same boat similar year paid by a family sailing around the world.

At this point, we realize we have 2 choices. Go for production boats like Beneteau, Jeanneau, Catalina where we will have a good price, easy market resell, comfort, and newer. The other side is the more traditional boat at a very good price but with more investment. To take an example. An Oceanis 411 is around 110k from the mid-end of the nineties. This type of boat will end up most likely in the same number with the right starting price.

What we have eliminated is most of the "Blue Water" boats such as the Tayana where the ratio comfort / bluewater is too low. The small cockpit, small space inside etc...this makes sense but like everything, everybody has to decide about the compromise.

PS: I saw your link but the price is obviously different: 225K. It is another market with other budget competing about different choices.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 06:33   #17

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Before you get ahead of yourself with adding a whole new very expensive system to the boat, how are the existing systems holding up? Its a 35+ year old boat with a 35+ year old engine with unknown hours, a 35+ yo mast, how old is the rigging? Sails? The ground tackle is very light for a 40,000+ heavy displacement cruiser.
Electronics are dated, hows the electrical? Hopefully thats been upgraded along the way.
You're probably looking at throwing $25k at it for refit before the 13k for bow thruster, and thats being very conservative. And not even considering the 35yo teak decks
If you're already worried about how much you can get rid of it for, maybe its not something you should get in first place!
Look at the boat i posted earlier, its newer, far better condition, the type of boat people dream about, a full keel heavy displacement bluewater cruiser that can take you anywhere in the world!
Its been for sale for 6 years!
Look at the hans christian listed in the boat for sale forum here, same thing been for sale 5 years.
You really need to love these boats because you're never gonna break even on them if you can even ever sell them at all.

Everything you mentioned above is worth consideration of buying a boat this size and age. It could be the diamond in the rough or cost too much $$ and time/effort to refurbish.
The Hampton 43 you mention is the spitting image exterior wise as the Spindrift. The OP is in the same area as the Spindrift and would be worth a critical look. The Hampton is still a 20+ yo boat at 2-3X the price and it is all the way across the country to just look at so those are big consideration points also. The interior layouts were quite different and one would want to do a physical walk through to see which would suit the needs better.
This would be a big change of sail performance from the Tartan 33 and not one to do typical quick evening sails. While the Spindrift and Hampton are both much heavier than our boat, we do like the feel of a solid boat under your feet when sailing. The fore deck is huge and mostly uncluttered making it easy to move around to do work
Agree w/Grace that one doesn't need a bow thruster once you learn how to handle the boat and work the lines better. If you can't get the hang of it then maybe get the thruster or call ahead to get help w/the lines

If long distance sailing is in your future, either would be comfortable to live on and sail. If you are flip flopping between a new light boat design (Bene, Cat., etc.) and this one, then IMO you are at extreme spectrum end of boat types.

Only you can make the decision of the type of boat and usage you foresee in the near future.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 09:17   #18

We just did an offer at 50K. Way under the asking price. That let us margin for refit.
Old 25-08-2021, 10:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post

PS: I saw your link but the price is obviously different: 225K. It is another market with other budget competing about different choices.
I didnt post that boat for purchase consideration, its just the only other one on the market currently, spindrift, hampton43, formosa 44, young sun, are all the same boat by ron amy, albeit they all have costum interior.
I was just showing that if you are concerned about resale, sometimes boats dont sell for years, even in a sellers market, and what happens in 5 years when you do want to sell and the market is flooded with covid boats and your trying to sell a 40yo?
Its these things we need to look at, but you seem on the ball, i wasnt trying to dissuade you, just making sure you were making a smart choice, and obviously now you have shown you are!
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 10:17   #20

Quote:
We just did an offer at 50K. Way under the asking price. That let us margin for refit.
Good luck,, thats the number i had in mind. Shes a beauty!
Old 25-08-2021, 10:32   #21

Quote:
I didnt post that boat for purchase consideration, its just the only other one on the market currently, spindrift, hampton43, formosa 44, young sun, are all the same boat by ron amy, albeit they all have costum interior.
I was just showing that if you are concerned about resale, sometimes boats dont sell for years, even in a sellers market, and what happens in 5 years when you do want to sell and the market is flooded with covid boats and your trying to sell a 40yo?
Its these things we need to look at, but you seem on the ball, i wasnt trying to dissuade you, just making sure you were making a smart choice, and obviously now you have shown you are!
Sorry if I misunderstood the meaning of your post. You are right. The market is volatile and hard to forecast what will happen in a few years. However, I think there is the main market (production boat) and then around some niche market like a traditional boat or motorsailer. Being niche markets, I think it is fair to assume that resell is harder because the market is smaller.

I feel good about my offer (If accepted) because it gives me some room.

Not sure the seller agreed We will know soon ^^
Old 25-08-2021, 22:17   #22

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Once we got the hang of the prop-walk and the effects of the left-handed prop, parking became fairly easy. The previous owner traditionally docked in an easy parking spot, for 6 or 7 years. But as luck would have it, after our first trip out we returned to find our spot ‘stolen’ by a newcomer. Ever since then we have had to squeeze in and do a many-point 180° turn in between some sport boats, in very little more than our boat length.. In the beginning this was stressful, even with our 39’. I’d think a bow thruster would be quite a nice thing to have, if only for for a while.

In regards to buying the 40 year old Landfall, which I expect has quite a bit in common with the Spindrift, we just went with our gut because we liked the boat. We completely ignored all reality such as the wise advice above. It worked out well and we have never regretted it. But it’s a challenge. We are placing things like soul, old wood, and character ahead of.... common sense. It wouldn’t suit someone who expected ‘low maintenance’. Whatever that is.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 06:05   #23

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I've owned two boats built in Taiwan in the 1980's; a Mason 44 and a Hans Christian 33. They are both robustly-built and beautiful. That said, they require much more maintenance than most other sailboats due to the amount of exterior teak. You will likely need to budget money for recaulking those decks and pulling up and re-gluing all of those deck screws. You are always tracing leaks on these boats.
Also, these boatyards in Taiwan at that time used stainless steel that was sometimes of questionable quality. I would do a very detailed investigation of the chainplates and chainplate bolts, as well as the tangs on the mast.
Lastly, as mentioned by others here, these boats take a special kind of buyer. It will likely take you a lot longer to sell this boat when you're ready to move on from her.
That said, I think the boat you linked in your OP is a beautiful vessel that looks pretty well-kept for her age. Best wishes and good luck to you throughout this process.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 06:36   #24

We went to the boat yesterday for a closer examination and having in mind all your advice. Found more things but all acceptable for a 35+ boat

I was comfortable with my 50K offer and looking at my list (above).

However, one of the comments was about the chainplate. I of course checked. Chainplates and rigging are from 1985...That I knew and had in mind to replace the standing rigging. However, the problem is that chainplates are not accessible at all. I don't know if they are underwood or bolded inside the hull like the island packet. I told the broker I would check. I know that on my island packet 32 changing the chainplates was a 25k work. Any experience on this boat?

Also, the hull has quite a bit of blister. That is another area of concern. The broker says it is normal. I tend to disagree. My Tartan 1981 and my IP 32 never had one blister..
Old 01-09-2021, 13:37   #25

Thats a shame.
Looks like right after your visit they dropped another $10k.
With those added issues it becomes more of a project boat, and into 35-40 range
Old 01-09-2021, 13:52   #26

OP, nice boat but I hope you’re a small guy with skinny arms and tiny hands, and young also, because trying to access for maintenance all the systems buried in that sole looks like a nightmare
mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 13:59   #27

Quote:
We went to the boat yesterday for a closer examination and having in mind all your advice. Found more things but all acceptable for a 35+ boat

I was comfortable with my 50K offer and looking at my list (above).

However, one of the comments was about the chainplate. I of course checked. Chainplates and rigging are from 1985...That I knew and had in mind to replace the standing rigging. However, the problem is that chainplates are not accessible at all. I don't know if they are underwood or bolded inside the hull like the island packet. I told the broker I would check. I know that on my island packet 32 changing the chainplates was a 25k work. Any experience on this boat?

Also, the hull has quite a bit of blister. That is another area of concern. The broker says it is normal. I tend to disagree. My Tartan 1981 and my IP 32 never had one blister..
I disagree also. It's not normal. A bad case of blisters will haunt the owner for the full time he owns the boat , MOVE ON. Been there, done that.

One boat was so wet there were blisters INSIDE the hull also! (never caught on survey, the outside blisters had been filled and din't show until later.) It can be many thousands of dollars and always in the back of your mind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 15:09   #28

Yes we move on...unfortunate because she is really a nice boat but that is becoming too many problems to face. Thx for all the information. I hope it will be useful for someone else buying the same model (or maybe I found another one on the market^^)
Old 01-09-2021, 15:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
OP, nice boat but I hope you’re a small guy with skinny arms and tiny hands, and young also, because trying to access for maintenance all the systems buried in that sole looks like a nightmare
I agree and found it funny when the broker for the hampton i posted about earlier said the following:
Quote:
Engine Room: 9.5/10

(visual inspection only)

Love this engine room! It’s really a ROOM! The Perkins is easily accessed as is the Fischer Panda 8kW genset, the Racor fuel filters, the oil change system and This engine is in beautiful shape and well maintained.

An actual engine ROOM below the floor
Wtf are you taking about guy!

Of course it is a broker trying to sell a boat, but cmon, but he does redeem himself with a very good blog post about boat prices which was posted shortly after the aforementioned boat was listed. Worth the read for buyers and sellers
https://davetownleyyachts.com/blog/2015/1/9/the-blatant-truth-about-the-pricing-process
Old 04-09-2021, 01:42   #30

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Yes we move on...unfortunate because she is really a nice boat but that is becoming too many problems to face. Thx for all the information. I hope it will be useful for someone else buying the same model (or maybe I found another one on the market^^)
Such a shame... after reading Bumfuzzle’s blog, we too were in the market for a Spindrift 43, but then Covid and travel restrictions happened...

Good luck on your boat hunt - you’re on the right track with an older 80’s boat that needs a bit of a refit. Especially if you can get it for the right price!!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote