Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 20:43   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
1985 Spindrift Pilothouse 43 - Looking for info

We are upgrading from our Island Packet 32 and looking for an offshore boat and live on board.

I found this Sprintdrift that is in nice condition. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...se-43-3851418/

Wondering if someone would have some feedback about this boat. Sail performance, known issues etc...

Also is it a motorsailor or consider being a sailboat? I have confusing information.

Thx

Chris
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 21:17   #2

Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Re: 1985 Spindrift Pilothouse 43 - Looking for info

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/adventure/

This couple had a '82 Spindrift 43' and have a very detailed blog with all kinds of info about their boat and its operating costs.
Old 20-08-2021, 21:50   #3

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

@Creedence on this forum has one. Maybe contact him. I have her younger sister, a Landfall 39. I can’t really speak to the Spindrift but I suspect there is a lot in common with the Landfall. A lot of nice old teak and character, well and heavily built fibreglass hull, probably not going to break any speed records as a sailor, but nevertheless I often hear my raggedy old tub described as the nicest boat at the dock and I feel the same
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 12:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
We are upgrading from our Island Packet 32 and looking for an offshore boat and live on board.

I found this Sprintdrift that is in nice condition. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...se-43-3851418/

Wondering if someone would have some feedback about this boat. Sail performance, known issues etc...

Also is it a motorsailor or consider being a sailboat? I have confusing information.

Thx

Chris
That aft galley is pretty unique and interesting.
With 300gal fuel, it does make you wonder on the motorsailor question, they are heavy boats in 43'
Theres a really nice Hampton 43 sistership on east coast thats been for sale forever, theres a video of it sailing, looks like it does ok
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/hampton-43-pilot-house-cutter-2922364/
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 13:02   #5

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom

If you are looking for a serious Blue Water boat to live aboard in the 45' range, take a look at my Wylie 45'. It's in the classifeds or you can see her at
www.malaya4sale.com
NRosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 23:18   #6

We went to see the boat today. No doubt she is a beauty and well equipped (generator, water maker, etc...). She looks in good condition (survey will tell more) and most of the work can be done bit by bit to reach full refit in a few years.

My main concern is to maneuver that 50 feet monster's full keel in a marina. I am scratching my head around it and definitively a point of concern. To move the boat out the broker needed a guy pushing the bow with a dinghy. A bow thruster may be the first thing to put on the old lady.

The teak seems also in good condition and didn't see any leak. But the maintenance of it must be something. Never head teak deck so I am not sure of the level of maintenance needed.

She is really a charming old lady, the price seems good.
Old 22-08-2021, 08:30   #7

Looked through the pics. Beautiful boat for sure.
IMO the teak decks are extremely low maintenance in themselves, if you aren’t the sort who wants to constantly varnish them and keep them golden, vs the grey they naturally weather to.

The real issues come from the system used to fashion the teak strips down on those boats, which involves a lot of holes through the fibreglass underneath and, in time, inevitable leaks below. It may well be the weakest point of that boat you’re looking at.

Much has been written on the leaky teak deck subject.
Old 22-08-2021, 08:46   #8

Quote:
We went to see the boat today. No doubt she is a beauty and well equipped (generator, water maker, etc...). She looks in good condition (survey will tell more) and most of the work can be done bit by bit to reach full refit in a few years.

My main concern is to maneuver that 50 feet monster's full keel in a marina. I am scratching my head around it and definitively a point of concern. To move the boat out the broker needed a guy pushing the bow with a dinghy. A bow thruster may be the first thing to put on the old lady.

The teak seems also in good condition and didn't see any leak. But the maintenance of it must be something. Never head teak deck so I am not sure of the level of maintenance needed.

She is really a charming old lady, the price seems good.
I always liked that boat. Friends had either one of those or one of the very similar designs. Their engine was under the floor of the raised pilothouse. Tons of room around the engine. This one looks like it's a bit more restricted access.
That boat looks very well cared for and a lot of boat for the money. Formosa boats were not a great builder like say Ta Shing, but not terrible in some designs either. Good thick hulls.
Our friend's teak deck was bulging up badly in a couple of places near the chainplates.
Great design for the PNW, the con side is docking from inside the cabin is difficult for me a bit, and the docking view from aft of the cabin is difficult. Tradeoffs. I find long keels nicely predictable for docking etc, you have to learn and get used to them though.

Watch out for old tanks buried under the furniture in these old boats. It can be a big deal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 09:21   #9

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I will check the tank better. Monday I will make a few calls to see how costly the installation of a bow thruster is. If I go for the boat I want her anyway out of the water for a month for bottom paint, check/change all thru-hull (base on survey result), and a good cleaning.
Old 22-08-2021, 09:54   #10

The fuel and water tanks are laid down and then the entire boat built around them! My boat is 1980 and one of the water tanks has a leak about halfway up. We use it at the reduced capacity. I assume that diesel tanks would be much less prone to corrode than water tanks. Someday when/if we ever pull the engine out for whatever reason we will probably replace them all.
Old 23-08-2021, 08:05   #11

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

This looks like a great boat if your goal is "offshore" and "liveaboard."

Your question includes "sail performance" and the Spindrift 43 specs are similar enough to my Nauticat 43 with all that wonderful tankage capacity that I would call it a "heavy cruiser," which means it takes more wind to get it going than the typical plastic classic.

There are many offshore capable boats that are comfortable liveaboards that sail well. As a full time cruiser I value comfort and safety over sailing performance and we all need to be the judge for our own trade offs.

When winds are light you end up motoring more than others. When winds are fresh you end up going slower than lighter boats of the same size. When wind and waves are going crazy you are really, really glad to be on a well built, well designed heavy cruiser.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:34   #12

The pilot house in my friend's had a layout so the steering station was to port and the angled "dashboard " in front of the wheel was big enough for a large chart. Really handy and well thought out.
On the Starboard side was a wide single berth (near double) which was cool too. Your crew person could sleep there and be ready to help on a moment's notice. The floor was very open so when you pulled the engine hatch in the floor there was room to sit on either side of the engine down there!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:41   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:

Don't judge a boat's manuverability from someone who doesn't know how to manuver a boat! A broker handles lots of different boats and doesn't have time to master manuvering each one.

It takes a bit of practice and understanding the dynamics, but by using prop walk you can easily turn this boat 360 degrees within it's own length.

The listing mentions it has a left hand rotation prop, which means prop walk in reverse is to SB and prop wash is to port, meaning in reverse she will want to pull her stern to SB and in forward she excels when turning to port.

Just keep the wheel turned to SB and shift between forward and reverse either in idle or a small amount of throttle to slowly make a tight counter clockwise turn and you'll have all the control you need for close quarters (with practice).

And you can use prop walk/wash to crab this boat sideways in the direction of prop walk, which would be to SB, so turn your wheel to SB and alternate forward and reverse to go sideways rather than in a circle. With a bit of practice gawkers will think you have thrusters.

A couple of tips we've learned are useful-

1. Practice lassoing a cleat from the deck and you remove anxiety about being too far from a dock when docking. With a long enough dock line you should be able to throw a bight over a cleat from 10-15 feet away.

2. Learn to spring off and on a side tie dock (true for any boat).

3. Use a grapnel when needed to pull yourself into bull rails when cleats aren't available.

4. Remember that our rudder is located aft, which means in forward or reverse the boat turns from the stern. This phenomenon helps controlling your boat in reverse and is what makes crabbing work- you're controlling the bow by pointing the stern. Once you've got this down you've finally broken free from how we habitually steer a car to master our boat.

Still think you need a bow thruster?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 10:30   #14

Thx you for all the advice. We are still thinking. It is very tempting.

I have a quote for a powerful bow thruster and it is cheaper than I was originally thinking.

It is a Lewmar 185TT 6. Kw. With installation, I am around 13k.

Also, I was looking for the spec of the boat to get the cap size ratio etc...

However I only find this one that is different : https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/spindrift-43

I am not sure the ratio is comparable.

Also, I was trying to know if the boat was certified CE A. Important if we go back to Europe once for insurances.

I am trying to get some references for the price. Not so many to compare too. They are asking 78k but are open to negotiating.

In the blog that someone linked they bought the same boat for 48k.

My concern is the selling value. This boat has been for sale for many months. Even with a hot market they don't go out easy (at that 78k price at least)
Old 24-08-2021, 12:54   #15

Quote:
Thx you for all the advice. We are still thinking. It is very tempting.

I have a quote for a powerful bow thruster and it is cheaper than I was originally thinking.

It is a Lewmar 185TT 6. Kw. With installation, I am around 13k.

Also, I was looking for the spec of the boat to get the cap size ratio etc...

However I only find this one that is different : https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/spindrift-43

I am not sure the ratio is comparable.

Also, I was trying to know if the boat was certified CE A. Important if we go back to Europe once for insurances.

I am trying to get some references for the price. Not so many to compare too. They are asking 78k but are open to negotiating.

In the blog that someone linked they bought the same boat for 48k.

My concern is the selling value. This boat has been for sale for many months. Even with a hot market they don't go out easy (at that 78k price at least)
Before you get ahead of yourself with adding a whole new very expensive system to the boat, how are the existing systems holding up? Its a 35+ year old boat with a 35+ year old engine with unknown hours, a 35+ yo mast, how old is the rigging? Sails? The ground tackle is very light for a 40,000+ heavy displacement cruiser.
Electronics are dated, hows the electrical? Hopefully thats been upgraded along the way.
You're probably looking at throwing $25k at it for refit before the 13k for bow thruster, and thats being very conservative. And not even considering the 35yo teak decks
If you're already worried about how much you can get rid of it for, maybe its not something you should get in first place!
Look at the boat i posted earlier, its newer, far better condition, the type of boat people dream about, a full keel heavy displacement bluewater cruiser that can take you anywhere in the world!
Its been for sale for 6 years!
Look at the hans christian listed in the boat for sale forum here, same thing been for sale 5 years.
You really need to love these boats because you're never gonna break even on them if you can even ever sell them at all.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote