Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2021, 04:04   #1

1987 Hylas 44

Looking at the Hylas as one option to get out of coastal cruising and in to sailing to far off lands. Hylas 44 owners, please sound off. We have narrowed it down to the Hylas 44 and a Tayana 48.
Old 29-06-2021, 04:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 1987 Hylas 44

Both center cockpit cruisers, the Tayana being a bit more modern. But, the big question in my mind is that the Tayana is a bunch bigger than the Hylas; it's displacemnt is 50% more. Do you need that much boat, with all the additional costs in the future, and heavier rig to handle? You are going to be more dependent on your skill than your hull for safe cruising, so how much boat do you want/need?
Old 29-06-2021, 06:29   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

I own 44 #66. Rock solid boat! Just did a trip to Bermuda. Saw 50 knots + and she handled it great.
Has the 44 been repowered? Hylas switched to Yanmars in 89 or so.

Feel free to contact me off list.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 06:42   #4

My impression is Hylas is a step up quality wise from Tayana. I like the 44 although haven't looked at one for years. In older boats pay close attention to tank locations and ability to remove/replace them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 07:43   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Based on the numbers shown in sailboat data, they appear to be two different types of usage boats. The Hylas w/the deeper draft and increased ballast/disp. would be great for offshore work. The Tayana has possibly a more modern interior layout, a shallower draft and a much longer lwl. This boat is relatively heavier, needs bigger sails, bigger motor, an iron keel and foam cored hull.
Sorry, if I ask a personal question, but I see you have a powerboat listed. Will this be your first sailboat?

Each appear to be good boats, just depends on your intended use and how many people will be normally be onboard. Basically, which one checks all your boxes.
Since you have it narrowed down to 2 boats, would suggest getting on each one to sail them in possibly 15-20kt conditions to see which one you like better (more than a day sail in light air). Also would take TheOffice up to discuss the Hylas and experiences. This would be very helpful in getting good info.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 09:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

To me, it's no contest: Hylas wins. When we were hit by Hurricane Harvey, we went shopping for new-to-us boats, in case we were totaled (we weren't). Hylas would have been our choice.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 09:58   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Never sailed a Hylas 44, but did a longer delivery w/a newer H56 and didn't like the ride. Probably the only thing in common w/the older and newer models is the Frers design (name only) and it was a Hylas. Other than that, I'm sure the under body must have changed (flattened??) in several decades of Frers design modifications. The things we didn't like about the newer hull was it slammed (coming around Diamond Shoals) and was an extremely wet boat. Once conditions calmed down, it was better and a very fast boat.
Again test either of the boats in sportier conditions to see if it works for you.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:15   #8

Boat: Tayana 47

I was looking for a boat about 5 years ago and had it pretty much narrowed down to the same 2 choices and looked at a H44. Both are great boats so you can’t go wrong but I ended up buying a Tayana 48 because I found one that was better equipped and in better condition than the H44 on the market back then. Our boat had a genset and a bow thruster and both of those were important to me. I also liked the layout and the cockpit of the Tayana a bit more. The Hylas cockpit coamings are notably shallow which can make you feel more like you’re on rather than in it. My only hesitation was due to the iron ballast in the deep draft version of the Tayana and I worried about all the “what if’s” regarding water somehow getting to the iron and making it corrode/swell/split the keel. But then I talked to several experienced boatyard working acquaintances and none of them had ever seen or even heard of that actually happening and I’ve never seen that in any boatyard I’ve visited so if it happens, it’s extremely rare. Plus, I figured that if the boat had already gone 25 years without a problem and I got a thorough survey done, there was no reason to worry and now that I’ve had it awhile I’m happy with my choice. Encapsulated ballast means the bottom is easier to get paint to stick to it and no worries about corroded keel bolts causing you to suddenly lose your ballast, though I feel like that’s not a big worry anyway.
The T47/48 is significantly bigger and heavier and has a 5’ longer waterline so pretty significantly larger. Mine draws 6’ has the tall (70’) rig and I prefer that although the shorter rig on the shallow draft version works for some people. The shallow draft version uses lead for ballast. My previous boat was a Nordic 44 and I remember the first time I saw the mast of my current boat I thought it was sort of frighteningly massive, but I got used to it quickly and like having the extra size for more tools and toys. Tankage in the Tayana is good, with 176 gallons fuel and 200 gallons water. I also have a Watermaker so the water tankage is less important than the fuel to me. All the tanks in my boat seem to have been replaced at some point and tank quantity as well as condition is something to consider. I like the security of the bulwarks of the Tayana while moving around on deck at sea vs the aluminum toe rails on the Hylas. Both of them sometimes came with teak decks and if they’re screwed down type rather than glued down, that’s a deal breaker for me. Even though both boats have skeg hung rudders, they’re both very well designed and I find that mine is very maneuverable in close quarters but I love having the bow thruster so I can literally do a 180 in a canal only a couple feet wider than my boat is long. Though not necessary, it’s also really helpful in getting off a dock. I feel like my Tayana sails well and even though it’s a heavy, rugged boat it is pretty easily driven and handles stormy weather very well and I’ve always felt secure. But I’m sure most of the above also applies to the Hylas too, so I’d consider the relative size and condition/equipment of individual boats and you can’t go wrong. Good luck!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:56   #9

Update on the Hylas. She has more problems than Doan's has pills! Multiple issues with the electrical system, soft spots on the deck, engine problems, old sails, the list goes on.

Still looking at the Tayana, but having issues with the financing of a 1993 boat.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:33   #10

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Update on the Hylas. She has more problems than Doan's has pills! Multiple issues with the electrical system, soft spots on the deck, engine problems, old sails, the list goes on.

Still looking at the Tayana, but having issues with the financing of a 1993 boat.
Assuming you are/were a service member, you might take a look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They financed an older Catalina for me some time back, though I’m not sure if they’re still writing those loans. Worth a look though.

As you’re seeing, lenders really don’t seem to be interested in older boats these days. I got shut down at almost every turn as soon as I gave the boat’s age (I completely forgot about PenFed when I was searching). I ended up biting the bullet and just paying cash.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:37   #11

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Although I don’t have my copy of the book now to check, I believe that John Kretchmer in Sailing a Serious Ocean highly extols Hylas yachts for their overall seaworthiness and quality. It may have been the 44 model he mentioned. But of course, they have to maintained as with any boat (in view of your latest comment). I know that I admire them. Good luck with it all.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:48   #12

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
There are banks, maybe only a few, that have specialty boat-loan departments. There’s one in the PNW that offers financing for recreational boats up to 35 yr old, but only in the west coast region. There may be others, however. KeyBank seems to write a lot of boat loans. Might check with them. Also, ask the brokers if you haven’t already. They may know of a loan broker outfit that can find one for you.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:34   #13

Our search has taken a new turn (for the better, I think)...

Tags
Hylas