Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 15:10   #76

Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

I was in a similar position - wanted a quality boat with an interior that was also nice - not the IKEA - like interiors (just a preference) that many Euro boats have. Speed wasn't overly important. I've owned power boats - if that was an issue I would have bought another one. I narrowed it down to Sabre, Tartan, Caliber and Island Packet in the 34 - 38 ft range. Also looked at Ericson - the later models were actually made by Pacific Seacraft. I love Pacific Seacraft and Cabo Rico, but wanted a private second berth aft. In that size (and price range), the aft berthing is open. Also, something not mentioned here, I wanted a fresh water boat if possible since many of the boats I was considering were approaching 20 yrs old. Fresh water boats are used much less and don't have all corrosion issues. So I looked for several years taking my time. I settled on a fresh water, lightly used IP350 and we love it. It's a quality built boat (yes it's a production boat) and no, I don't win races, but it sails well and I've never regretted the decision. Good luck on your search. Quality used boats are hard to find some times.
Hygge in MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:53   #77

Boat: Tartan 33

I don't know why so much bad press about IP sailing. Last week we were sailing with light wind and the boat was doing as well as our Tartan.

https://youtu.be/9nxE6kvFwbo
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 16:46   #78

Thank you. 6 knots in 10 knots of wind sounds great. Reading this forum, I was beginning to get the impression that IPs don't move at all below 15 kts at least...
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 16:47   #79

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
Thank you. 6 knots in 10 knots of wind sounds great. Reading this forum, I was beginning to get the impression that IPs don't move at all below 15 kts at least...
That is not true. Usually, with 5 kts I am happy to shut down the engine and sail.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat