Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 12:52   #16

Re: 2 +/- degree list

I was on a Hunter 340 to Cuba where the owner put 4 or 5 cases of water, a rolled up dinghy, electric motor, and various other bits in the aft cabin against the aft bulkhead and then found out later he had 4 cases of Guinness in the lazerette... To say the tail end of the sugar scoop was under water was true... So 1 to 2 degree list is definitely correctable by gear and stores.

Looking at the posts I would consider how much effect the anchor and rode has effect on the forward pitch and depending on size and location that inverter could cause some list.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 19:42   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Just make sure wherever you go you will always be on a port tack.
Actually that is not much at all, unless yer racing. Most cruising sailors wouldn't care or bother to notice a 2 deg list would we? I don't even move to the windward side of my boat until the breeze is up to... well, I'm not sure I ever do Now if that guy with the Pearson Triton ever looks like he's going to beat me then I'm all over the trim!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 19:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
For cruising purposes it won't matter that she doesn't float on her DWL. No laden cruising boat does.
That's just not true, for ALL cruising boats. Most, for sure, but not all.

A very few boats are DESIGNED to be sailed with a cruising load. My boat is the full time--and only home--for two people, and she sails 15K to 20K miles a year. With full tanks, she sits within a centimeter of the waterline her designer drew for her. Her weight--as specified by the designer (with full tanks, and all sailing gear on board)--is 35,300lbs. The last time she was weighed she was 38,000 lbs with all our kit on board.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 00:20   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecallahan View Post
Thanks Jim! I'm an Architect in my day job and am used to feeling the pitch of old floors. It failed the rolling can test. so, I broke out my trusty do all device (yep, phone), fired up pitch guage and it agreed with my assumptions. Not a big pitch but surely there. So, looking into the "interior layout" I find tanks and the inverter all left of center (port) and think that an unbalanced load may be the culprit. That said, I was also looking at the new mast and step with a wary eye.
Moveable stores on yachts are normally used to correct trim issues that were design compromises.

Try storing the heavier consumables on the Port side first and further aft, before adding ballast.

In a relatively short 38 ft hull, the longitudinal stabilility is far more affected by dynamic forces than moving weights aft to give you an even trim at anchor
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:50   #20

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

bit of a list to port since i removed a rusty fridge compressor a few years ago - i compensate by favouring the stbd water tank
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote