Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 12:18   #16

Boat: 1981 Tayana 37
Re: 2 head, single hand, bluewater cruisers?

WOW guys and gals!!! Thanks for the replies...I wasnt getting notifications...
Ok so to address some of your statements and thoughts.
I want two heads and two cabins, so I am able to comfortably charter the boat...as well as the fact I love to entertain at the dock and dont like sharing my head...at all..ever.I know you cant charter a 22 footer with a bucket, you can also charter a 100 footer...I have chosen two cabins and two heads as my preference.
I cant go with a cat, as they are too expensive, all but the prout snowgoose have beams so wide it's more costly for dockage, harder to haul out etc..
And the prout doesnt have standing headroom in the main cabin.
I love multi mast rigs, ketch is my fav. For just the reason stated...its keeps the square footage down on each sail. Plus it looks cool.
What else, what am I missing...I like the Bristol 41.1 two of you suggested it, I will look into it further although it's a sloop.
The Pearson 365 was one I almost bought last spring, but it didnt go thru, I like the hoat, but I want the two heads and two staterooms.
Someone said I'll have to compromise for the two heads ...as we know all boats are a compromise, what is important to some means nothing to others. We all have to choose our priorities,
none are wrong per set, just personal.
Benateau is not on my radar. I used to work for them, have alot of experience with them. I do not want one. Shame too, because they are laid out very well , many people hate the sugar scoop, I just think they are the most convienent thing in the world, and they are pretty cheap. But the hull, bulkheads, rigging, individual components, are not as robust as I like. I know this is a sore spot for alot of people. But you have to admit, there is a big difference between the heavy cruisers I listed, compared to a cruiser racer like benateau. they are two different animals, both have thier place. I prefer heavy displacement cruisers.
What else...I think that kinda covers it...nice to hear about the Whitby, I'll look into that more as well.
The Allied Mistress 39, seems to, on paper hit all the key notes, under 40, ketch, two heads , full keel, solid boat, cheap. I have to step on a few to see if going to a 41 or 42 footer that is close to 100k is worth it compared to a 39 around 30-60k.
For me this is a painful decision. Last year I looked at boats under 65k....I was so disgusted at some of the junk that was for sale for premium prices I gave up and bought land and a small cape dory. Now I have started my search again with more money, so we will see.
I look forward to more thoughts and thank you all for writing so far!
Oh, and to the person that said something about peeing over the side and so on...I used a bucket on a boat I lived on for years. I have been a proponent of simple and cheap all my life. But this boat is supposed to be my end all do all retirement boat. I'm almost 50 and , although at the moment, I am living off the grid for over a year in a cabin I built with a composting toilet and peeing outside often so as not to have to deal with it, I want some luxury if I spend that much on a boat. And i dont want to share a head unless I'm sharing a bunk even then I'd prefer not to
TheLastPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:34   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
So I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas of any boats that fit these crireria.

Mostly for single handed use....
Heavy cruiser
Two state room
Two head
Bluewater
Under 100k
Under 40 feet is preferable but not a hard rule
Prefer ketch, but as you can see I've included sloops too.

This is what I have come up with , also interested in any thoughts from anyone that would exclude any that I've listed, for whatever reason.

Island packet 38
Caliber 40
Allied mistress 39
Nicholson 39
Whitby 42
Han Christian 42
Westsail 42
Hallberg Rassi 41
Camper Nicholson 39 Ketch

Thanks for your input
I mostly single-hand my Hans Chrstian 41T. When I need the second head, mostly with female guests, I appreciate having it. When I'm alone, or with guys, the second head is mostly a wet locker; again most appreciated.
I really like my boat, but then I may be prejudiced.
Old 10-12-2020, 13:45   #18

Boat: LeComte NE 38

Last Pirate,

If this is meant to me your last boat and home and something you will cherish and live on and possibly charter - you really need to check this F and C 44 as I mentioned earlier...

chartering a boat requires that people are attracted to the boat and that is has something that grabs you from both a sailing and aesthetic point of view. This boat has a lot going for it and you can get into shallow areas as well.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ketch-3696479/

Let me know your thoughts ...

Paul
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 13:58   #19

Ta Chiao 41 also.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 14:08   #20

I have never heard a Hans Christian owner say otherwise , although I have only asked a handful, but they all just loved thier boats. I love the looks, they are kinda a dream yacht of mine...but the teak decks bother me. I assume they are screwed into a wood cored deck of some sort.
Another thing that I wonder about, I have heard average annual upkeep costs go more by tonnage than length, I wonder what the difference in cost to maintain , including rigging and sails occasionally, would be between say a 40000 lb boat and a 20000 lb boat...I'm on a military retirement income, so I dont want to buy more boat than I can afford to up keep. I can do all of my own glass, electric, wood work , pretty good a motors, so that would save me some. I cant make sails, I can re rig standing and running rigging.
That is another reason I keep looking at under 40 feet , for the cheaper dockage, haul out, etc..for example. It used to be everywhere they would put you in a higher price per foot over 40...I dont know of that's still the case.
When you single hand , do you feel you could safely do it in all conditions, offshore as well? Do you think a 20000 ketch would be considerably easier to single hand? Assuming both have lines run correctly.
Sorry to ramble, it scrambles my brain trying to make sure I dont forget something and make the wrong choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
I mostly single-hand my Hans Chrstian 41T. When I need the second head, mostly with female guests, I appreciate having it. When I'm alone, or with guys, the second head is mostly a wet locker; again most appreciated.
I really like my boat, but then I may be prejudiced.
Old 10-12-2020, 14:13   #21

Paul, thanks for re replying,
That is a beautiful boat, and I do agree with what you said about something pleasing to the eye for chartering. I also want something classic looking to live in. Or dark woods etc...I will look into that manufacturer's I am not familiar with them, but it looks beautiful!
I have worked on some pretty sparce charter boats, and people were still ecstatic, but I agree...if you want to get out of the cheap seats its gotta be pristine...but man the cheap seats are fun too...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlter View Post
Last Pirate,

If this is meant to me your last boat and home and something you will cherish and live on and possibly charter - you really need to check this F and C 44 as I mentioned earlier...

chartering a boat requires that people are attracted to the boat and that is has something that grabs you from both a sailing and aesthetic point of view. This boat has a lot going for it and you can get into shallow areas as well.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ketch-3696479/

Let me know your thoughts ...

Paul
Old 10-12-2020, 14:14   #22

Boat: LeComte NE 38

The teak decks on the F and C 44 are solid teak not screwed into a cored deck and I do not think they would have the same issues as a thin laminated teak deck on a more standard production boat. I have heard that the F & C sails really well and that interior wood work is some of the nicest I have seen. Any specific reactions or thoughts about this particular Frers design?
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:04   #23

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Bear in mind that the HC41 is more like 50' length overall. She's 41' on deck. They are much higher maintenance than regular GRP boats. I love my HC33 and hope to keep her forever.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:50   #24

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

We sailed a Wauquiez Amphitrite for two years. I would buy one again. Fatty and Caroline Goodlander have one, circumnavigating currently. They are well built, and well thought out. 43' LOA, ~30k lbs, ketch, two cabins, two heads, lots of teak down below. The aft cabin is a dream, and as big as anything under 50'. Sails well too.

Huh, and here is my old boat for sale: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...te-43-3701580/
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, head, single, water