Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 08:30   #16

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: 20 year old boat or 30 year old boat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Always go with meticulously maintained.
+1

More details on the boat models would help.

When I was boat shopping I remember looking at a Tartan 37 from the late '70's and a Ericson from the mid '90's. The Tartan was absolutely meticulous (owner was maybe a little nutty - you could eat off the engine), plumbing had all been replaced, no smells, every single thing on the boat worked. He was asking nearly $50k for that boat. The Ericson was so much newer and roomier, but the heads stunk, half the lights didn't work, and she was dirty. Same price. IMHO the Tartan was definitely the boat to buy, not only because of the meticulous maintenance, but because of the quality. This is why it's important to know the model and make.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 09:09   #17

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The difference between 20 and 30 is minor. Date and extent of last refit matters much more as does general condition. Over 15 or so most boats require an extensive refit.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 09:10   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The electronics? The idea that electroniics become somehow unusable as they age and newer stuff comes along is just marketing hype. With the possible exception of auto pilots, the newer stuff does little that the older does not... more "features" that you will liikely never use, more bling, more networking... but not much actual useful function that is not there in the older stuff.

Jim
As always, Jim is spot on. I have customers who come in thinking they need new electronics. My first question is does the old stuff still work well? My second question is what does the new item you're thinking about do that the old unit doesn't do? The vast majority of the time the answers are Yes, and Nothing.

Most people use but a fraction of the available features. Some of the "essential" new features include Pandora, numerous different ways to display the same sonar information, side scan sonar but only if you upgrade the transducer, the ability to display video on the chart plotter, etc. Even something that sounds useful such as radar overlaid onto charts is not necessary. I have a lot of people who find the overlay decreases situational awareness since they often lose the targets due to clutter.

I'm not saying the new stuff is useless or not nice. Far from it. The issue is that most people rarely use more than five or ten percent of what the new stuff can do.

Just because it is old doesn't mean that it doesn't work. More often than not you are better off updating the charts if they're out of date. I would also recommend that you set aside funds (lump sum or a little each month is fine) for replacement of much or all of the electronics. At some point something will break and there is a chance that the one new item you need isn't compatible with all of the other stuff. On the other hand, this is no different than saving for the eventual replacement of an engine, sail, etc.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 09:39   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If 2 boats are your only choices, you haven't shopped long or hard enough.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 10:16   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Go with the 30year old boat. It has had everything done already.

IMHO, a big change in technology occurred around 1980 or so. Prior to that, many/most boats had gate valve through hull fittings, fuses in the electrical panel, and gas inboard engines (A4 in particular). Starting around 1980 or so, I don't know why, but many boats were equipped with proper ball valves, circuit breakers, and diesel engines. These are just a few significant examples of how the technology was changing. Also, the IOR rule in the 70's encouraged boats with pointy ends and deep keels...the opposite of what many cruisers want/need...voluminous interiors, big cockpit, and shallow draft.

I owned a 1972 C&C 27. Later I owned a 1982 C&C 27. Although technically the same boat, the difference in technology over just ten years was astounding. The 1982 boat was incredible. It also cost me twice as much to buy (used).
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 11:04   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

Something to think about, a 30 year old motor might be running fine but are parts getting harder to get. That was the reason I replaced my 38 year old motor. I would I would still do the the better maintained boat.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 11:59   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 20 year old boat or 30 year old boat??

The John Deere engine in my former Van de Stadt is 38yrs old.. spares no problem.. agent just up the road and skilled mechanics at €17/hr...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:01   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Go with the 30year old boat. It has had everything done already.

IMHO, a big change in technology occurred around 1980 or so. Prior to that, many/most boats had gate valve through hull fittings, fuses in the electrical panel, and gas inboard engines (A4 in particular). Starting around 1980 or so, I don't know why, but many boats were equipped with proper ball valves, circuit breakers, and diesel engines. These are just a few significant examples of how the technology was changing. Also, the IOR rule in the 70's encouraged boats with pointy ends and deep keels...the opposite of what many cruisers want/need...voluminous interiors, big cockpit, and shallow draft.

I owned a 1972 C&C 27. Later I owned a 1982 C&C 27. Although technically the same boat, the difference in technology over just ten years was astounding. The 1982 boat was incredible. It also cost me twice as much to buy (used).
I believe that the CS QC program (altho' not perfect), refusal to install gasoline engines and the huge effect on the sailboat market not only in Canada but in the US as well. everyone was forced to up their game.
Old 16-02-2018, 12:58   #24

Boat: 32 contessa

My contessa 32 is a 1984 , she is in better nick than most 20 year old boats out there ,
I say buy the 30yo and use the spare cash to redo the electronics ,

Nothing beats a good auto pilot and AIS /Radar .

Older boats give a better story when a few beers are working ,,,

Go the 30yo you will love it

tight sails
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 14:09   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

the older boat! OK not fair but usually the olde the better built.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:25   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Get the 55 year-old boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 15:43   #27

Boat: Nordic 44

What does age have to do with it, as Tina said.

Design, use, features you like, layout, engine age and maintenance, sailing feel for the intended use? Those are just a few of the serious questions.

I for one am leary of giving advice to questions as broadly stated as this. Really, are ‘t the answers just full of our own, personal, subjective, worthless opinions. Pass me another Stout please.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 06:50   #28

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

At first blush, I'd go with the boat in the better condition however, and it's a big however:
Are the boats identical? Ie the same hull, keel, builder, designer, rig, deck & interior layout?

Oops - just reread your cons -
Quote "original tankage (this model boat has some history of leaking tanks" unquote, indicates they not identical boats.

Since boats are apparently not identical, you are asking us to compare condition with boat.
For instance, if you hate the layout of a boat which is in perfect condition, then condition is immaterial
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 12:18   #29

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

As in varous areas of life, and as a general rule, it seems well cared for 30 year olds are a better choice than many 20 year olds.
Old 18-02-2018, 14:13   #30

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Get the 55 year-old boat.
+1 on that!

My old 1968 Alberg 30 is now moored in Macau, just outside Hong Kong. After I restored it, Dave, the new owner sailed it to Hawaii, twice into the So Pacific, and finally up through the Solomons, the Philippines, and into Hong Kong Harbor for the typhoon season - all singlehanded.

Not bad for a 50 year old boat.

I’ve found the age of the boat often does matter, as the age gives you some clues regarding the chemistry of the materials used in the lay up, hull design, ( think IOR versus CCA rules for example), andboat cost.

Glenn
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat