Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2018, 15:04   #31

Re: 20 year old boat or 30 year old boat??

i agree with most everyone so far. All depends on make, but if it has been perfectly maintained, then that speaks volumes in overall care and love of the boat. The electronics is the easiest to replace, but if it still works, who cares.. I'd focus on the stuff like rigging (both) engine, etc.. But the older one sounds like the way to go, but I would have at least 5 - 8 options when I look.. But, this could be your very short list.. So good luck..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 20:01   #32

We don't know because you could be asking is a 20 year old Hunter 37 better than a 30 year old Tayana 37?
And I haven't read the thread, but for what kind of sailing?

The real answer is whichever was better built (possibly at a lower quantity/production and at a higher price) at the time of splashing. If the same then whichever had a better refit/refurb at some point and then again if both equal whichever has been lovingly maintained. Imho.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 05:35   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The John Deere engine in my former Van de Stadt is 38yrs old.. spares no problem.. agent just up the road and skilled mechanics at €17/hr...
If one of the boats has a John Deere get that one! If one of them has a Volvo don't get that one.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:30   #34

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I know this is a late reply but here goes. Everything everyone said is correct and also mostly irrelevant. In comparing a 20 to a 30 year old boat is mostly meaningless. Condition relative to price, updated everything relative to price, market values relative to price. Everything is expensive. Cushions alone can cost 5k to 10k. Bimini, Dodger, plumbing, ports, hatches, etc., its all revelant. Batteries, solar, genset. You add everything to come to a fair market price and you decide how much below that price point you want to acquire your dream.

When shopping for my current boat there were 2 almost identical models , one had more options than the other and was priced 12% higher. I chose the one I liked better (lower engine hours) and didn't place much value on the full cockpit enclosure of the other. 2 years later I am shopping for a full enclosure...10-15k. Everything is a plus or a minus, add all of it even thou you may not have a spefic value on some things at this time, someone else may..

Good luck
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 22:40   #35

Very good point. Though many old boat buyers tend to fix things themselves and know non-"boat" places for certain repairs, refit is a minefield for your pocket.

Everything has a lifetime (engine, cushions, etc), and the best deal you can make is the old boat that has been fully refitted 1-2 years ago. No way that in a heavily buyers market a seller could claim any significant portion of the refit costs which, as you mentioned, might very well exceed the boat's market price.

A fully refurbished and offshore prepared Albin Vega sold for ~10k $ comes in to my mind. True, approx 50-60% more than the usual market price - however this difference wouldn't even cover the up-to-date life raft and epirb...

Tags
boat