Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Your opinion
J&J Bavarias are fine 1 50.00%
Skip the J&Js go with the Farr designs 0 0%
Skip Bavaria from anywhere in this time period - get the Benny, Hanse ... 1 50.00%
Something else. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:36   #1

Boat: 1979 TUR84 (SWE)
2005-2010 J&J Designed Bavarias?

Hey all.

I find the design of the 2005-2010 J&J designed Bavaria Cruisers 30, 31, 33 very agreeable with my goals and desires (comfortable coastal weekend cruiser for a family of 3). Even though other options exist for my needs (similar vintage Hanse 320, Benny Oceanis 323 etc) - the Bavaria just has a hair more space where I want it and it just fits me and my wife better.

Looking around - these years seem to be the years where Bavaria struggled under Bain capital's "management" - but given that these boats are 20 years old - does that still apply?

Would you avoid the J&J designed Bavarias and take small ergonomic compromises to get a Hanse or a Benny that did not struggle in that period?

Do you find the early Farr designs much improved in quality and longevity - enough to warrant -say- a 10% budget stretch for -say- a 2012 Cruiser 32? (I am a bit apprehensive of buying a low-number hull in a brand new design)

(I am not currently interested in a discussion that would steer me to "classic" 1980s or even 1990s boats - I have a 1979 28 foot boat right now and am looking something appreciably larger inside and way more modern - aiming for a few years of more sailing - less maintenance. And we really are not stressing any boat the way we sail. So much of the advantages of "classic boats" do not really apply to us.)
dk_igor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 2005-2010 J&J Designed Bavarias?

Several things I dislike about them compared to similar size Bene 321/323..
I/ bulb keel.
2/ saildrive.
3/ no swim platform.
4/ tight galley situated in front of aft cabin.
That's for starters..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:11   #3

Boat: 1979 TUR84 (SWE)
Re: 2005-2010 J&J Designed Bavarias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Several things I dislike about them compared to similar size Bene 321/323..
I/ bulb keel.
2/ saildrive.
3/ no swim platform.
4/ tight galley situated in front of aft cabin.
That's for starters..
Thanks. 1,2, 3 are point taken - though I didn't to realize the Bene has a shaft - I will dig deeper into it.

For #4- I much prefer the galley ahead of aft cabin and get both a chart table and a decent sized head in return. That is a compromise I am willing to make and am looking for in fact - I find the heads ahead of the aft cabin not my preferred layout.

For me the key things that stand out about the layout - the bed in the aft cabin in the Bavs is so low tot he sole, it creates loads of headroom when on the bed - same with the forepeak. Also chart table.

Layout is subjective - would you avoid the J&J designs on quality concerns - 15-20 years on?
dk_igor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 2005-2010 J&J Designed Bavarias?

The 2001 Bene 323 I bought in '06 had a different layout to that in Sailboatdata..
It did not have a bulb keel, the saloon had a u settee with lowering table to port and inboard engine.
Mind it was built in the US so maybe that accounts for the different spec.
Met a couple in St Martin who'd bought the equivalent Bavaria (same year) also from Moorings came aboard for a look around and wished they'd opted for the Bene.
On visiting theirs I could see why.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: 2005-2010 J&J Designed Bavarias?

I prefer a shaft over sail drive. Less complicated, less maintenance and with a proper shaftseal very reliable.

Boats with saildrive need more expensive spares and need to replace their seals which means getting hauled out.

If you get a Bavaria, make sure it's not one of the earlier built numbers from a model. The later ones usually got optimized in the following builts, even to the extent that sometimes keels where repositioned by several cm.
Don't ask how I know, but I DO know.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria

« Code Zero? | - »