Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 10:51   #1
cruiser

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
2007 GRAND SOLEIL 43

Hello everyone.
my wife and i are looking for a used boat to live aboard and sail for a few years in the Mediterranean and than maybe onward.

there are 2 boat models we are thinking about one is Jeanneau 42DS and the other is Grand soleil 43
there is one Grand soleil in Croatia build in 2007 in a very attractive price tag you can see it at:
Selymar Yachts (Split, Croatia)

please shear your wisdom with me.

thank you
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 17:11   #2

Re: 2007 GRAND SOLEIL 43

Croatian yachts are mostly ex charter and might have lived a hard life. The motors are often worked hard and far longer than necessary. Some charter owners might scavenge all the good stuff off an up for sale or even sold boat. This might happen if the company owns a fleet of the same boats. If you can find an independent surveyor, you should be OK. DON't expect to get tools,spare parts, life jackets, flares, tender and outboard or any gear that can be easily transferred to another boat.
Croatia is about the cheapest source around. It's worth getting there for a close personal inspection as well as a survey. Selymar can be trusted and will look after your interests as well as they do the owner's
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 23:55   #3
cruiser

the general assumption is that after spending another 30-40k$ on refitting her we will get a good boat in a good price,

do you think the Jeanneau 42DS is big enough to fit our plans?

thanks
Old 10-02-2016, 02:02   #4

The 42 DS is a good boat, twin helms, open transom big cockpit. Charter boats often have furlers on both the jib and the main and that makes life less stressful most of the time.
We sail a jeanneau 1100 espace deck saloon old clunker but great for us.
The DS and others often have the ability to remove the partition between the aft berths to convert them to a state room with a giant bed, but many images show it with that aft stateroom already set up.
We like Jeanneaus. Ours sails really well and is very reliable for its old age. Yours is a great boat for sailing in the Med. The layout is good. one hassle with a DS is that you have to crane your neck around the raised roof to see ahead but then, you won't need a dodger often.
Med mooring is a special art form that you will need to master. In Greece you will find many places where you can overwinter very economically.
PM me if you want more advice
Old 10-02-2016, 16:18   #5

Boat: Hanse 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
Hello everyone.
my wife and i are looking for a used boat to live aboard and sail for a few years in the Mediterranean and than maybe onward.

there are 2 boat models we are thinking about one is Jeanneau 42DS and the other is Grand soleil 43
there is one Grand soleil in Croatia build in 2007 in a very attractive price tag you can see it at:
Selymar Yachts (Split, Croatia)

please shear your wisdom with me.

thank you
Think seriously about the size of the wheel and stern access to and from the cockpit for the normal 'Med Mooring' where you are usually moored stern to a quay or in/out of the dinghy and the swim platform. Walking/climbing around the wheel will be INCONVENIENT.

I have great respect for Grand Soleil yachts, but this is a purely practical aspect for the Med.
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 19:12   #6

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Ive owned a Jeanneau and loved it. Been on a Grand Sol and it was very sexy. Older Sol were even more sexy. Hard choice!
StuartBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:50   #7
cruiser

well, there had been few changes to my dream boat spec.

here they are:

mono hall
wide as possible and roomy aft deck
deck saloon with big windows as possible (old style, Nauticat style and so on)
front master bedroom with attached head
second head at the back
two or three cabins
at least 43 feet in length
used, fiberglass hall

2 options below for your insights:

BAVARIA 42 Cruiser Used Boat for Sale 2007 | TheYachtMarket

2007 Bavaria 44 Vision sailboat for sale in Outside United States

many thanks again
Old 14-02-2016, 14:54   #8

Boat: Catalina 42

Based on your criteria you should consider the Catalina 42. Over a 1000 made so lots to choose from. Well built. Keel to hull displacement ratio of .40 versus .30 for most of the brands you have listed. We have had the 3 cabin, 2 head wing keel for 2 seasons now and love the space and sailing performance. Great owners support on the catalina42discussionforum.yuku.com. Catalina Yachts is known for great support of their older models.

Steve
taylormobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:45   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

The Grand Soleil 43 is a far better boat than the Jeanneau 42DS, better built and a much more expensive boat when new.

One of the reasons that model has a low price is because it was substituted on that year (I think) by a new faster 43, even so the price seems to be very good even for a charter boat and a price without VAT.

I cannot tell you anything about that particular boat and I would have it surveyed by a good surveyor, one that is familiar with the boat.

One of the reasons the price is low is because that type of interior, with dark wood and very traditional layout has come out of "fashion" and today's boats have a much more light and airy interior, but if you like it go for it, it is a good quality interior and a good boat, if in good condition.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 05:51   #10
cruiser

ok, after going back and forth here are the 2 finalists for now:

Jeanneau 43 DS and Catalina 42 both from the 2004 and up, the problem is that there are no Catalina's to find in the Med area.

comments?

thanks
Old 15-02-2016, 12:05   #11

CATALINA YACHTS CATALINA 42 MK II Used Boat for Sale 2007 | TheYachtMarket
but a 2007 model, bit pricey. You would need to check what appliances have been converted to EU voltage because American boats might operate on 110V.

The Jeanneau is a popular boat in the Med. There are plenty of them around. Make sure that it comes with a dinghy and safety gear. Check engine hours.
Furling sails make life much easier even though the purists will bicker. Remember that the aft and forward midships cabins have removable walls. Here is a good example
Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Saloon - athenian-yachts

The same era SO43 (not the DS) has almost the identical features but is cheaper to buy.

The 43 SODS has a single helm and the 43 a twin helm. Try to get a removable wheel if you buy the DS.

there is a standard and an owners version of the DS. The owners verion has a different arrangement in the aft cabins and might not be so flexible.
Old 16-02-2016, 02:38   #12
cruiser

please look at this one, some how i have the feeling that my boat need to have more "personality" than the mass production boats.

please let me know what you think of the wauquiez amphitrite 45 ms, there is one in Croatia, if it is ok with you to e mail me izikalo@gmail.com i can send you some more details.

Bach Yachting - Wauquiez Amphitrite 45 MS

thanks