Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2008, 07:55   #1

25 Catalina? Anything to look out for?

If any of you saw my very first post I was about to buy a 30 hunter. The deal fell through as someone else bought it. Anyways, I have found a great 78' 25 cat. I was wondering if any of you had any insight on this boat? Any problems too look out for for these year boats?
I am mostly going to be sailing in the summer here in florida, most of the time right off shore heading south to the keys from daytona beach.
It has a brand new 9.8 nissan outboard. What kinds of speeds with the nissan push the boat?
Any other words from the wise would be great! Thanks
scubayachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 09:23   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubayachts View Post
If any of you saw my very first post I was about to buy a 30 hunter. The deal fell through as someone else bought it. Anyways, I have found a great 78' 25 cat. I was wondering if any of you had any insight on this boat? Any problems too look out for for these year boats?
I am mostly going to be sailing in the summer here in florida, most of the time right off shore heading south to the keys from daytona beach.
It has a brand new 9.8 nissan outboard. What kinds of speeds with the nissan push the boat?
Any other words from the wise would be great! Thanks
I don't know a lot about that vessel. The one experience that I did have was that a guy in haul-out, next to me, almost lost his rudder. The rudder tube going into the cockpit was made of fiberglass and it was worn so badly that the top of the rudder was hitting the hull. The rudder and hull were badly chafed. The guy spent a fortune having it all repaired.

The rudder was full of water and had to be replaced. The rudder tube was replaced and the hull glassed.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 15:04   #3

ok

Thanks for that. I will be sure to check the rudder and rudder assembley. Anybody else?
scubayachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 18:01   #4
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
This was the first boat I owned....Needless to say it was a great experience 4 boats later..does she have a swing keel? if so make sure the cable and the keel is in good shape it can be a problem....I am not sure how many 25's were made with the swing keel, mine was a shoal draft...but one of our friends had the swing and if he neglected it, it would be a problem.....the other thing is that if your running offshore (coastal) be careful of weather she is fairly tender, and the small outboard is not much help in the lumpy stuff (make sure its a long shaft!!) we ran many times off fire island and had great times but make sure you are comfortable handling her in slightly heavier air and youll be great....
This was a GREAT boat for us at the time.....Good Luck...
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 18:05   #5
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
I forgot if it has a popup top MAKE sure you tie it off when it is up....its fairly heavy and gave my mother inlaw a nasty bump on the head (it didnt help much)
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina