Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2007, 09:27   #1

Boat: 28 ft Cobra 850
28ft cruising

Hi,

Just obtained a Cobra 850 / 28ft (1979 built, designed by David Felthem) fin keel sloop, and intend to cruise the Mediterranean and possibly through Atlantic ocean to Azores ultimately back to Europe (Greece)...as such I am curious as to others that have done this on a 28ft or smaller boat and their experience.

I intend to do this with my wife.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Best Regards, KR
asteroscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 17:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroscop
Hi,

Just obtained a Cobra 850 / 28ft (1979 built, designed by David Felthem) fin keel sloop, and intend to cruise the Mediterranean and possibly through Atlantic ocean to Azores ultimately back to Europe (Greece)...as such I am curious as to others that have done this on a 28ft or smaller boat and their experience.

I intend to do this with my wife.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Best Regards, KR
Check out James Baldwin, a two-time circumnavigator and then some in a 28' Pearson Triton:

Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei
Old 21-04-2007, 18:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am curious as to others that have done this on a 28ft or smaller boat and their experience.
A lot of small boats are a lot bigger than some bigger boats. Being 28 ft is not always that small. The only real rule is the boat has to be big enough for you, your crew, and all the crap you bring with you. After that it's up to you. If you like and can dal with the limited space then you really want the smallest boat that works. Bots as they get bigger are harder to handle and more expensive to keep up. Going small is better than staying home.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 20:39   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
We bought a 29' sloop, made a collapsible queen size berth for the saloon for use at anchor, threw a solar panel on the arch and a few other bits & pieces on board and went cruising the New Zealand coast for a year to see what we really needed. We're now in the process of fine tuning/upgrading a few of the systems we already have & getting rid of a lot of crap that we don't need. It sure is nice to see a bit more antifouling creeping back into view and knowing that we can get by just fine without all the extras. I would encourage you do do something similar to decide exactly what you do & don't need before you head too far afield. As well as enhancing the sailing abilities by dumping some weight it leaves room for a bit more wine and some of the other comforts that make cruising so pleasant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 02:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Sam L. Morse Company, the builder of two of the best small blue water cruisers in the world, the Bristol Channel Cutter and the Falmouth Cutter , has decided to discontinue manufacturing.
The molds, patterns and exclusive manufacturing rights are now for sale for US$50,000 FOB Costa Mesa, California.
http://www.samlmorse.com/

Sumio Oya wants his passion to go to a good home. Most important to Oya, is that the buyer be someone who will carry on the traditions of The Sam L. Morse Co. Oya says he has three boat manufacturers and one individual interested in purchasing the rights to build the Bristol Channel Cutter, Falmouth Cutter and other less-frequently-built models. “I’m not interested in them bidding against each other,” says Oya. “I want to see their passion and skill. They have to meet and talk with me, and then I will decide.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote