Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 22:10   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: 3 blade Max prop vs 3 blade fixed?

I'll wait until this season is over then talk to pyi about any qualified divers in my vicinity.
Or maybe just wait another year and a half then haul the boat again and store it on the hard for a month or so while the prop is away. I'll see how it unfolds (pun intended).
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-08-2016, 00:41   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I hope that this does not stir things up too much, but...

All this talk of rebuilding Max Props after a few years and a couple of thousand hours usage isn't very much of a recommendation in my eyes.

I'm sure they are good props, but really, that is not very good service life IMO. Compare to the Australian Auto-Stream we had on our previous boat... three blade feathering, external pitch adjustment, external grease nipple, typical feathering prop performance... after about ten y ears and 3500 hours of usage, no pitting, no perceptible wear, when we sold the boat the surveyor said in as new condition. Oh, one other factor: about two thirds the price of the Max.

There are lots of other feathering props around... I'd be looking at other options before going with the Max if I were in the market.

Jim
Old 27-08-2016, 10:15   #63
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
All this talk of rebuilding Max Props after a few years and a couple of thousand hours usage isn't very much of a recommendation in my eyes.
I've never come across a Max Prop that needed refurbishing after "a few years." And I've maintained hundreds of them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:53   #64

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I have a Catalina 470 that I bought new from the factory with a fixed 3-Blade 21" prop

About 1.5 years after we purchased our boat, we installed a MaxProp VP Prop.

The yard had to cut about 0.5" off the prop shaft to get it to fit, which maybe the reason the former owner never installed yours.

Once the MaxProp was installed I noticed no difference in propulsion in either forward or reverse. All speeds matched the RPMs with the former fix blade prop.

The boat also backed well and even had a significant prop walk in reverse, which I like.

More importantly and why we buy folding or feathering props is that I gained a FULL KNOT of boat speed when sailing.

We have had the MaxProp on the Boat for 8.5 years with no problems

I would strongly recommend a MaxProp

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 14:18   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I've never come across a Max Prop that needed refurbishing after "a few years." And I've maintained hundreds of them.
Fast, I surely do not have your experience, but based on reading this thread, some folks have indeed had such problems. I dunno what to make of their issues, but I am surprised that you h ave NEVER come across one that needed help.

A quick review of the thread found the following reports:

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
My max is an older one with no built in zinc that I think newer ones incorporate. It relies solely on the shaft zinc for protection. It's badly pitted and I think I'm going to have to replace it in a few years.

Thanks
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
My prop had changed to a lesser pitch through erosion of the parts and when I took it off could only get 3100 RPM at WOT and so was very unhappy with the result and speed being very much lower.

[QUOTE=TacomaSailor;2194156]There seems to be considerable mis-information in this thread.

I've had an 18" 3-blade Maxprop on our Caliber 40 since 1995.
We have put 2,850 engine hours on the prop. I've had the prop rebuilt the twice and changed the pitch three times.

2. The Maxprop innards are complicated and delicate. I sent the prop to PYI in Edmonds, WA after 2,000 hours to have them check everything and restore it to factory specifications. They found all the internal gears to be perfect. The blades needed a little fine tuning. At 2,700 hours I again had the gears checked and they were A-OK. However, the blades were pitted and eroded. A PYI approved shop in San Diego brought the blades back to as-new condition for $350.

Perhaps these examples are outliers, but to me they cast some doubt about the longevity of Max Props. Obviously, they do not constitute a good statistical sample, not does my good experience with one Auto Stream. None the less, it seems worthy of note that some people have had problems with their Max props.

Jim
Old 27-08-2016, 14:27   #66
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I didn't say I never came across one that didn't need help. That said, neither of the examples you provided showed that the Max Prop needed refurbishing after a short time.

Further, neither of the quotes you provided indicate that the Max Props needed refurbishing after a short period of time. In fact, the only problems mentioned were from corrosion, and that's due to neglect, not a flaw in the Max Prop Design.
Old 27-08-2016, 16:35   #67

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
3 blade Max prop vs 3 blade fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

My experience is limited to my boat and my MaxProp. It was installed in 1989. It has about 3,000 hours on it. It has never needed any refurbishment. Only maintenance has been lubing on haul out once every 3 years or so. I do see to it that the 70 mm zinc is replaced before it is needed.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 17:52   #68

I've had 5 Max Props over the years and they have all been fine. However, to me they are pretty crude for the price. The gearing on the blades etc is fairly rough. All's well that ends well I guess....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 19:48   #69

Boat: Catalina 470

I finally got back to my boat and fished the Max Prop out of the locker when the PO had stashed it after switching it out for the 3 blade fixed. It's in better shape than expected, with just a little play and some nicks on the blade edges. It was still well greased, so at least that maintenance was done.

What's the safest way to degrease the parts, without damaging the bronze? And similarly, how can I safely strip the antifouling paint?

I'm going to get it cleaned up then swing by Frank and Jimmies in Fort Lauderdale to get their opinion before shipping it to PYI.

-David

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 20:18   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
It's in better shape than expected, with just a little play and some nicks on the blade edges.

What's the safest way to degrease the parts, without damaging the bronze? And similarly, how can I safely strip the antifouling paint?
Hi David, it would be great if you could post some detailed photos of the prop. I would like to be able to form a mental image about the condition of your prop by seeing your photos and then learn how much you will be quoted and for what. I plan to do some DIY on my max prop but I'm not sure about the extent I can go to.

For cleaning I would use white vinegar, but I would also like to hear more opinions.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 20:33   #71

There is a bit of slop in them anyway. They just spin out and should be fairly tight then. For cleaning the grease it doesn't matter much, just a rag will work, some WD40 or if you want to a bucket with some solvent of most any oil based kind. You might just use stripper for the paint on the blade and scrape lightly. There are probably a lot of ways to do it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 05:54   #72

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Hi David, it would be great if you could post some detailed photos of the prop. I would like to be able to form a mental image about the condition of your prop by seeing your photos and then learn how much you will be quoted and for what. I plan to do some DIY on my max prop but I'm not sure about the extent I can go to.

I'll do that, good idea! Funny thing is that whoever took the prop off the boat reassembled it with the blades in backwards. Not that it matters for a prop that's not being used. Before reinstalling it I'll have to be sure to get some good advice on the right pitch settings, based on my boat, engine HP and RPM, and transmission ratio.

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:24   #73
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Before reinstalling it I'll have to be sure to get some good advice on the right pitch settings, based on my boat, engine HP and RPM, and transmission ratio.
PYI can provide pitch settings.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:18   #74

I bought my Tayana 37 new back in 1985 and from day one I installed a max prop. Some 30 years later the max prop is doing fine with a haul out every 2 or 3 years to repack the grease. This year I finally installed zirc fittings so I would not have to disassemble the gears at haul out. Never did like doing that and while some could do this in the water, I had difficulty doing it on the hard. The real plus for me with the max prop is the reverse thrust and also the prop walk which can be used to advantage when docking. PYI was very helpful with the instructions for installing the zirc fittings.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:21   #75
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I bought my Tayana 37 new back in 1985 and from day one I installed a max prop. Some 30 years later the max prop is doing fine with a haul out every 2 or 3 years to repack the grease. This year I finally installed zirc fittings so I would not have to disassemble the gears at haul out. Never did like doing that and while some could do this in the water, I had difficulty doing it on the hard. The real plus for me with the max prop is the reverse thrust and also the prop walk which can be used to advantage when docking. PYI was very helpful with the instructions for installing the zirc fittings.
FYI (and anybody considering a Max Prop)- all Max Prop models now come manufactured with zerk fittings and have for many years.

Tags
3 blade