Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 08:06   #31

Re: 30-32' Cruising Options ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
Thank you!!

I appreciate the input. I am still looking. I have made offers on a couple of boats over the last year but without success.

I can do without A/C, a giant fridge etc. Reasonable nav & comm gear is a necessity and I would really like to have a minimal watermaker.

I don't know if this makes much sense but I am fine with the layout & space of a 30'-32' while underway. Since my original post I have had opportunity to sail a Cal 29 and an Islander 30 and found them comfortable while underway. It is when we are at the dock or at anchor that I feel the want for more space.

We had hoped to be in a spot where we could spend 3 months of the year on our boat by now but have hit a few bumps along the way. Hopefully by this time next year we will have the ability to step away from our land based commitments for 3-4 months of the year.

I am headed out to look at a Grampian 30 on Saturday. Our hopes are to be on the Sea of Cortez next November.

Wish me luck!!

Thank you Tania & stay warm
My last boat was a Grampian 30, very spacious for age and size, she performed well enough too.

If you spend $20-30k on a Grampian 30, you are likely over spending unless she's very well equipped (I sold mine in operating condition for $5000 CDN, 3 years ago).

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:07   #32

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
Hello All,
This morning, on impulse, I looked at YachtWorld to see what kind of boat could be had in the $20-$30k range. I was supprised at the number of 30'-32' boats that could be had in that range. 32' Columbia & 31' Hunter caught my eye.
I don't expect to make any serious blue water crossings but instead more coastal cruising. Puget Sound, West Coast & Mexico.
Steve,

I vote for the Hunter 31. It is a solid boat, 1" thick hull, well designed and needs little wind to get to hull speed. Very comfortable below with 6'2" headroom. I would take mine offshore but some people may prefer a sturdier boat. The key is to pay attention to some truisms if not facts:

- 97% of sailors never make it offshore (for the record I have)

- 99% of the time the boat build will exceed your skills, so spend more time sailing and developing those skills than worrying about the boat type

- Buy a boat that you love. The shape, the proportions, the cockpit, inside - it is quite a personal choice. Spend some time, then go for a test sail and if it is your boat it will hit you immediately. For example, my marina neighbor has an Ericson 30 vs. my Hunter 31. Similar boats, similar era, similar sailing characteristics. I find the Ericson 30 layout, traveler placement, lack of space below totally unacceptable. He finds the Hunter 31 B&R rig unacceptable. You can make these decisions for yourself.

- Full vs. fin keel... I would only buy fin keel as it is easier to get to hull speed and more maneuverable in the marina. Full keel will be more comfortable in heavy seas. You are unlikely to spend more than 10% of your time in these areas or in an ocean crossing in heavy seas, so it is worth it?

- The older the boat gets, the more maintenance it requires, so it is crucial to find an older boat that is well maintained. Maintenance costs money that is never recovered in a subsequent sale. You are more likely to find a well maintained coastal cruiser (the owner likely used it sparingly and worked full time) than a traditional ocean going boat. Of course there are exceptions both ways.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Vassil
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I don't think Mainesail is Tania Abel. The letter 'I' looks like a keyboard oops.

goat
I started to argue with you Then I reread the post several times and I think you may be right..

Tania is from Maine as well. I just finished reading an article that she wrote regarding sailing in Maine. So when I saw "I Tania Abei" posted by someone from Maine I assumed it was her..

Then I looked at Mainesail's profile and see "Single Male".....

Sorry for the confusion.
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Steve,

I vote for the Hunter 31. It is a solid boat, 1" thick hull, well designed and needs little wind to get to hull speed. Very comfortable below with 6'2" headroom. I would take mine offshore but some people may prefer a sturdier boat. ...
A sturdier boat, a bit larger than the OP is looking for, is the queen of the Cherubini designed Hunters....the 37 Cutter. Great boat, which I would not hesistate to take offshore (and have).

One for sale here well within the OPs price range. Potentially (pending survey) a great buy I think.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=153671
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 16:00   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, I am really happy with my Columbia 29, but I appreciate it for its sailing qualities, not its interior roominess. I'd say buy the boat for the ocean, not the harbor. In any case, I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but have a look at atomvoyages.com. There is a lot of good advice there and tips on cruising in a smaller boat. I am always telling folks to look at the old school boats from the 60s. They were very well made and were of designs that have stood the test of time. Pearson Triton, Vanguard and Rhodes 41, Albergs, Cape Dories, early Columbias, Bristols etc. can be real bargains because some folks think an old boat is not as good as a new boat. And they would be mistaken.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 16:25   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

Get a sunfish!

With a name like Mohave Steve, you will probably be set.

Okay, get a Sunfish for now then move up later.

I decided I wanted to sail "for real" in Yuma, AZ!!

14 years later I bought a Hobie 16.................and it went from there with 3 more Catamarans and maybe 400 or so races in Tennessee, Mississippi, Florida, and ALABAMA (ala Forrest Gump and I did pass Bayou La Batre on the way to race in Ocean Springs!)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:03   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

BTW I see that you are planning to cruise up and down the west coast. I'd say that qualifies as "bluewater" or "offshore" in the sense that you can encounter the full variety of sea conditions. Best to look for a boat that is competent to handle it all.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 22:24   #38
cruiser

Many fine boats have been recommended by previous posters. If your budget is $20-30,000 my advice is to look for something around $10-16,000 and use the remainder for the inevitable fitting out and upgrades that will occur. An Alberg 30, Tartan 30, Yankee 30...All are suitable (as are many others) for your stated needs.

Remember, boats are not sized by length. A 34' boat is perhaps 50% larger than a 30' boat. An Ericson 34 offered at $10k will require massive rebuilding, vaporizing your funds and demanding still more.

Money spent improving a sailboat generally is not recoverable at resale (except for repainting provided you do the work yourself and do an excellent job. Your labor is worth zero). Financially, it is best to wait for a fully found boat in excellent condition to come along; let the seller bear the unrecoverable cost of rebuilding.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote