Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 08:55   #76

Re: 30 -32 feet blue-water cruisier

You have a budget of $15k, and say you dont mind a "fixer", but keep in mind that the most expensive boat you can buy is a project.
Buy the right boat, even if you have to pay a bit more, because you are going to pay it anyway. If you dont have the resources then you are going to have to get real lucky or end up with a piece of trash sitting on a mooring with slimy lines that you cant make right.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:29   #77

Boat: Rustler 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
Any experience with Rustler 31 anybody?

Hi dokondr,

Bit late to this thread - but here is my half pence worth

I have been a delivery skipper in the past for 10+ years delivering - mainly new production yachts, so lots of experience.
Anyhow, stopped doing deliveries (money very poor in EU) and bought a Rustler 31. Have just finished conversion to Electric motor - that's for another thread.

I'm 182cm and head height and bunks no problem, although sometimes skim head with sailing boats on!!

Personally, I would say this boat sails to wind like a train on a track (minimum weather helm - sails set up correctly) NOT quick as newer light production boat off course - but i can sail at 8 knots (ideal conditions) and 5-6 close haul.

Before this yacht I have never sailed a 'Full keel' or indeed a tiller but i love it. Great size for either single OR two people - starts getting a little cramped anymore.

Going in astern, use the Portside prop walk to your advantage - I just approach it very differently to new boats - forward then astern and repeat on throttle to turn in tight areas until you can get out marina going forward.
No trying to hide it - its terrible in astern as are all twister / rustler 31, 36 and Northsea (wooden version of R31) all have a very similar under waterline profile. 45 deg cut off stern.

BUT hey, I bought the yacht to sail and to sail forwards - this she does very well imho.For the size an weight of yacht - she is surprisingly quick and cut through swell with ease.

NO mid-ship cleat which i feel is very important for the solo docker - to get around this I have a cleat that fits on one of my gib tracks.

Oh my 1978 Rustler is rigged as a cutter which is also very helpful for the solo sailor. I am based in the Essex area there are still a few good R31s about just be aware some were 'finished at home' you will be able to tell easily.

Regards and good luck with the search
nxwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:03   #78

A Prairie 32...built in 1978/79 as a blue water cruiser...although I doubt you will find one in Europe as there were only 34 ever made.
I have owned one for 27 yrs and keep her on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala.
I am 1.85 mts and can stand up in the cabin.
I actually might even be selling her this year. don't know yet.
If you can find one you should be able to get her for under $15000
dcorbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 16:23   #79

Regardless of what you pay for your old, cheap boat, expect to fork out further tens of thousands of dollars to get her shipshape and seaworthy for an ocean passage. I have been progressively preparing my 31’ sloop for ocean cruising in the South Pacific. Here’s a list of what has recently been done:

- new mainsail, Genoa, jib and storm jib
- complete rewiring of all electrical systems
- solar panel on custom made SS frame
- extra house battery plus joinery to accommodate it
- replace all standing and running rigging
- refurbish roller furler
- replace deck toe rails
- replace old engine driven fridge with electric
- AIS
- SSB (as backup should IridiumGo breakdown)
- replace faulty wind instruments
- Seatalk network plus PC interface so can use OpenCPN as backup to chart plotter
- offshore quality life jackets
- spare tiller pilot plus spare parts
- emergency and back up bilge pumps
- jack stays and three point harnesses
- engine spare parts
- fire extinguishers (three)
- replace all LPG pipe work
- man overboard retrieval sling
- parachute storm anchor
- numerous ongoing repairs and refurbishment that comes with an old boat

... and still to do/ purchase:
- Liferaft
- IridiumGO
- drogue
- wind vane steering
- storm trisail plus mast track
- offshore grade medical kit
- inner forestay for storm jib
- handheld GPS (backup)
- refurbish 20 year old Yanmar engine
- internal latches and restraints for lockers, spare anchor, etc to prevent stuff flying loose during a knockdown
- refresher sea survival and offshore first aid courses for self and crew

The list goes on and never gets any shorter!

The point I am making is, it is ok to dream about buying a cheap boat and sailing over the horizon but the reality is that it is a hell of lot of planning, work and cost. To think otherwise is delusional!

Good luck and fair winds to all you armchair sailors! Don’t give up the dream. (Except this bloody Covid thing may prevent any ocean crossings for awhile).
Sails Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 17:00   #80

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I’d go along with that.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 23:19   #81

Boat: Halmatic 30

It's all about doing your research and finding a deal. In 2019, I wasn't 'actively' looking for a new boat, but I was keeping an eye out, and knew which boat I wanted next from a shortlist of about 6. When a 1980 Halmatic 30 came up for sale 100 miles away from me, with a recent new engine and sails, I had to go and view it. The owner was retiring from sailing and the boat had hardly been used for the previous 3 seasons. It was very sound, but cosmetically tired down below. I struck a deal and bought it. Sailed it home 2 weeks later. I've put around 3k (GB pounds) into the refit, most of that was renewing standing rigging, running rigging and a new headsail furling system. I updated some of the instrumentation, added some solar and refreshed all the varnish and paintwork down below. For the equivalent of around $20k US, I have a boat that's capable of crossing oceans if I wanted to.

Don't be in a rush to buy. Just keep an eye out for a deal that needs a bit of labour rather than expensive spending items.
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:26   #82

I bought a heavy displacement steel ketch which weighed 15 tons fully loaded. It had a long keel with a cutaway forefoot. Problem prop walk, I would end up four pontoons down so I had to fix it. Put a rope around a cleat behind the boat then lead the double rope back to amidships and tie it, I had a cleat there. Make sure it is easy to get off for when you leave the pontoon. Start the I engine, put in reverse then up to 1,000 rpm then wait until there is water flowing over the prop, then pull the rope in as fast as possible. You will go straight back.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 14:12   #83

Boat: Contessa 28

I own a contessa 28. And i am telling you even if it is a little heavy on the helm it is a superb boat. Got me thru various stupid mistakes i have done as a novice sailor. I get it is not 32 and that boat is legendary.
Remember safety first and then the comfort.
Go for a CO32 best ever
GJori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:36   #84

Many thanks to everybody for your advice! Continue my search. Rustler 31 and Contessa 32 are very good boats, but their price is above my budget. In particular I can't find Rustler 31 cheaper then 30000+ eur. They are few, but why so expensive?

Now trying to find out more about Rival 32/34. Any experience with these?
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:26   #85

Boat: Halmatic 30

A friend of mine owns a Rival 32. Seems very happy with it; single hands it mostly. It's a very solidly built boat to LLoyds register 100A1. It's a pretty boat too. Space down below is as you'd expect of an older style boat, i.e. not huge, but the layout is sensible, with good sea berths and would be comfortable enough for 1 or 2 people.
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:12   #86

Boat: Twister 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
Many thanks to everybody for your advice! Continue my search. Rustler 31 and Contessa 32 are very good boats, but their price is above my budget. In particular I can't find Rustler 31 cheaper then 30000+ eur. They are few, but why so expensive?

Now trying to find out more about Rival 32/34. Any experience with these?

I saw a Rustler 31 a while ago going to 10K in decent condition. If I could have two boats and still keep a wife I would have got it.

Or this one at the moment (not on your list) it has a similar shape to the rustler but is larger and cheaper- is a Camper and Nicholson - forerunner - 1966 .....I never heard of these before.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORERUNNE....c100667.m2042

disclaimer: I am a dreamer, that's why I am always skint
elses_pels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:22   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 30 -32 feet blue-water cruisier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elses_pels View Post
I saw a Rustler 31 a while ago going to 10K in decent condition. If I could have two boats and still keep a wife I would have got it.

Or this one at the moment (not on your list) it has a similar shape to the rustler but is larger and cheaper- is a Camper and Nicholson - forerunner - 1966 .....I never heard of these before.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORERUNNE....c100667.m2042

disclaimer: I am a dreamer, that's why I am always skint
Good old boats... there's a couple for sale on Apollo Duck from 12K.. search under Nicholson... pre Camper days.
https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boats/nicholson

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 10:32   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono as 2234 View Post
Sailed about 500 miles on a Twister, absolute dog. Seaworthy sure, but far too cumbersome. Have a look at a Clansman 30. Oz design but they get around the world
What an effing load of cr@piola.

In it's time (60's) this was a very successful racing boat. Sure, by today's standards it is no lightweight flyer, but out of scores of owners I have spoken to and corresponder with before I purchased, they absolutely love their Twister as a solid, and for it's design limits, fast, cruising boat. Yeah yeah yeah, it aint a Pogo 28 or similar modern flyer, but will regularly clock 7 knots, and in rough conditions - well, safe as houses.

My example sailed UK-NZ, then NZ-Chile return, and I am now the proud new owner down here in Auckland, NZ.

I know the Clansman 30. Good boat, and the same design the lovely 'Freerange Sailing' Aussie couple circumnavigated Australia in. But the Twister, properly trimmed and helmed, will kick it's backside in any sort of a 'race'.

As ever, just my opinion, and no hard feelings Jono, you are entitled to your opinions absolutely.

Cheers
ShakyIsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 12:37   #89

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My buddy has a Cheoy Lee Luders 30 that checks off your boxes but I don’t know how many are on your side there. Ive sailed with him on his boat many times and she’s stoutly built and sails well for a long keel.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 13:55   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 30 -32 feet blue-water cruisier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono as 2234 View Post
Sailed about 500 miles on a Twister, absolute dog. Seaworthy sure, but far too cumbersome. Have a look at a Clansman 30. Oz design but they get around the world
Most Twisters nowadays are used for cruising, and although they generally have bunks for four crew, they provide ample, cosy accommodation for two people. The Twister is a "modern classic" in which many long voyages (Atlantic circuits, circumnavigation) have been made. Most of them have their homeport in the U.K. or Ireland but they are found around the world. There is an active Twister Class Association with a frequently used website.
Nice one in Mallorca..
https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...er-28-8341381/

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, blue water sailing, cruisier, long keel, rival 32, rustler 31, Twister 28